Rough Country 2" level

On to the next topic.  First of all, if you're in the market for one of these kits, be aware that they are no longer made of "cast steel" like their website advertises.  Mine came and to my surprise it's made from some sort of plastic fiber blend.  I'm sure it's tough enough, but they should update their site.  Second.  You do NOT need to detach all the steering components from the hub assembly/lower control arm.  Just get the truck jacked up, loosen the strut assembly, and you'll see that youre only about 1/8" shy of being able to slide that spacer in.  For that i just used a spring compression tool and wala...saved a ton of time.  Third...you don't  get a complete "level" as they advertise.  My front wheel wells are still 1-1/4" lower than the back.  It still looks 10x better, but not completely level.  I'm thinking this is a good thing for when you have a load in the back?  Just in case, I picked up a set of 1/2" spacers for the top of the strut assembly on EBay for $18.  Not sure I'm going to install them quite yet, but for that price, who cares if they sit in the tool box.

So on to my question...has a anyone installed this 1/2" spacer to get a true level?  How bad does it look when you have a load in the back?  Did you supplement it with a helper spring on the leafs?

On to the next topic.  First of all, if you're in the market for one of these kits, be aware that they are no longer made of "cast steel" like their website advertises.  Mine came and to my surprise it's made from some sort of plastic fiber blend.  I'm sure it's tough enough, but they should update their site.  Second.  You do NOT need to detach all the steering components from the hub assembly/lower control arm.  Just get the truck jacked up, loosen the strut assembly, and you'll see that youre only about 1/8" shy of being able to slide that spacer in.  For that i just used a spring compression tool and wala...saved a ton of time.  Third...you don't  get a complete "level" as they advertise.  My front wheel wells are still 1-1/4" lower than the back.  It still looks 10x better, but not completely level.  I'm thinking this is a good thing for when you have a load in the back?  Just in case, I picked up a set of 1/2" spacers for the top of the strut assembly on EBay for $18.  Not sure I'm going to install them quite yet, but for that price, who cares if they sit in the tool box.

So on to my question...has a anyone installed this 1/2" spacer to get a true level?  How bad does it look when you have a load in the back?  Did you supplement it with a helper spring on the leafs?
Johnny01: I installed a 2.5" leveling kit billet aluminum on my 2016 chevy Silverado crew cab Z71 and it looks great!!! P.S. Mine fits on the bottom A- Arms.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Johnny01 said:

Johnny01: I installed a 2.5" leveling kit billet aluminum on my 2016 chevy Silverado crew cab Z71 and it looks great!!! P.S. Mine fits on the bottom A- Arms.

Yeah I think most of them do (as does the rough country).  However the rough country is 2"...so if you want a true level you either need to buy the 2.5" one you have, or use the 1/2" spacer on top of the strut assembly.  I wish I would have just saved myself some time and bought the 2.5".

There is a lot of discussion on this forum regarding this topic if you have the time to sift through the many pages.  I am in the camp who believes 1.5 - 2 inches is the optimal level height.  I find that a perfectly level truck often looks nose high or as if it is carrying a heavy load.  I also believe that the smaller the spacer the less strain you will add to your stock suspension.

The RC lower strut spacers have been fiber for years.

Not sure which year it started, I believe it was 2017, but you cannot put the 1/2 spacer on top of the strut.  You have to put it inside the strut as a pre-load requiring a lot more work.  I don't know why it changed.

Had my 2.5" level (spacer under and above strut) on my '14 for 3 years now and 44K miles.    Good look. Little bit harsher ride, but no issues like alignment or wearing out ball joints that I can tell.  I also removed the rear block and put in the 1" taller rear block.   

Mine has a 2.5" lowering a- arm kit, made of billet aluminum. It has 2.5" wheel spacers. 18a317b8bbf5f63c1b8a06a688ae4cd4.jpg

Johnny01: I meant to say 2.5" leveling kit made of billet aluminum, and 2.5" wheel spacers.

Nice lookin rigs fellas.  The decision actually came easy.  I was walking out from work one day and saw a sign from the heavens (ha ha).  A truck Identical to mine was parked right next to me...only it had stock tires with no level.  Once I saw that, I didn't really see the need to lift it any more than it already is.  I think the 2" RC level is all I'll need.

20180222_154126.jpg

2 hours ago, tim5779 said:

Nice lookin rigs fellas.  The decision actually came easy.  I was walking out from work one day and saw a sign from the heavens (ha ha).  A truck Identical to mine was parked right next to me...only it had stock tires with no level.  Once I saw that, I didn't really see the need to lift it any more than it already is.  I think the 2" RC level is all I'll need.

20180222_154126.jpg

Look at that sexy rig to the left :)

17 hours ago, bkesting said:

Look at that sexy rig to the left :)

Stock height 1500's have an appeal of their own.  I like to look at trucks on the lots in my free time.  I am always drawn to the  used unmolested, stock trucks.  I really like the looks of Op's truck but the one on the left would present more initial appeal to me as a prospective buyer! 

18 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Stock height 1500's have an appeal of their own.  I like to look at trucks on the lots in my free time.  I am always drawn to the  used unmolested, stock trucks.  I really like the looks of Op's truck but the one on the left would present more initial appeal to me as a prospective buyer! 

I'm talking about that van :)

Archived