Exhaust smoke using remote start

Deadeye

I have noticed black smoke from the exhaust when I use the remote start on cold start up. Anyone else seen this?
Does it have a aftermarket muffler? Does is throw black smoke when the truck has been sitting for a few days?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Stock muffler. Smokes for a couple seconds, 3 or 4 puffs. Cold start after sitting one day or 5. Been 15 to 25 degrees. Will check again middle of week when it gets to mid 30s. 

Common on any engine....its dumping a ton of fuel to get the thing started. Remember that liquid gas doesn't burn its the fumes that do. When its insane cold outside you need to dumb a crap ton of fuel in to get some of it to evaporate otherwise truck wont start. Black smoke is unburned fuel. Your truck is fine.

57 minutes ago, cossack said:

Its common on any type of fuel system that runs on decomposed dinosaur squeezings.

The black smoke is far more common on GDI engines. Occasionally I'll see it on port injected engines but on all the vehicles I rented when I traveled for work (40+ cars a year for 9 years) anything with GDI and a remote start would burp out some smoke when started on cold days. 

Archived