2015 Silverado LT dashboard removal

I just purchased a 2017 Silverado HC leather dashboard and I haven’t been able to find a dashboard replacement/removal video that may help me get this done right and faster. Thanks in advance for any leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like an interesting project!  The lower trim Silverado dashboards are pretty plain when compared to the High Country or Sierras.  I would ask a local body shop for some direction on how to trade out this part.  

Waiting for the right deal to come along to do this.

After ripping into my dash here and there it seems very easy.

As you take off plastics, you see lots of bolts holding it down to the dash frame support frame. Give yourself a day and explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks fellas!! I got this one for 250! No scratches, dents, mint condition really. Initially was 300 but the guy scratch the bottom glove compartment so I bought one on eBay for 35.00.. I changed my cloth seats to the leather vented and heated, change my center console lid to the charging pad leather lid and my now heated leather steering wheel, the only thing missing was the dashboard. Really excited about this.!!

4 hours ago, Viktorrocks15 said:

Thanks fellas!! I got this one for 250! No scratches, dents, mint condition really. Initially was 300 but the guy scratch the bottom glove compartment so I bought one on eBay for 35.00.. I changed my cloth seats to the leather vented and heated, change my center console lid to the charging pad leather lid and my now heated leather steering wheel, the only thing missing was the dashboard. Really excited about this.!!

Were you able to get the heated ventilated seats to work?  I assume yours didn’t come with that from the factory. 

Were you able to get the heated ventilated seats to work?  I assume yours didn’t come with that from the factory. 

Pgamboa a member in this forum helped me to do the wiring for the seats, it took him hrs to trying to figure out how to make them work.. because all the signal functions goes thru the memory module., make short story., everything works with oem buttons except the heated which my truck came with, not to worry about heat since I live in TX, but will resume to make them work.

I wrote a somewhat detailed explanation on the “why”. Not much of a how-to, since it was a PITA to track down all the wiring.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/195689-possible-to-add-heatedcooled-oem-seats/

17 hours ago, Viktorrocks15 said:

I just purchased a 2017 Silverado HC leather dashboard and I haven’t been able to find a dashboard replacement/removal video that may help me get this done right and faster. Thanks in advance for any leads.

The dash comes out very easily, just a LOT of screws and a few bolts.  I don't have a video, but just start taking out the a-pillars, defroster panel, screen/hvac controls, disc drive, radio modules, cluster, knee bolster, glove box, etc.  You'll also need to pull the steering column.  Bag all the screws and lable where they go in each bag and then reinstall.  Depending on your comfort level and organization really determines the time it'll take. 

Also, if your just replacing the cover, you won't have to take it down this far. 

20170527_015316.jpg

The dash comes out very easily, just a LOT of screws and a few bolts.  I don't have a video, but just start taking out the a-pillars, defroster panel, screen/hvac controls, disc drive, radio modules, cluster, knee bolster, glove box, etc.  You'll also need to pull the steering column.  Bag all the screws and lable where they go in each bag and then reinstall.  Depending on your comfort level and organization really determines the time it'll take. 

Also, if your just replacing the cover, you won't have to take it down this far. 
20170527_015316.thumb.jpg.7900c0c3f1ca86f70e35022c12345af6.jpg

I’m glad a read it all the way down lol cause this picture is but scary.. thanks.!

48 minutes ago, BlkSS said:

20170527_015316.jpg

Holy crap!  I don't know what procedure is happening here. but definitely not your average DIY modification!

1 hour ago, pgamboa said:

I wrote a somewhat detailed explanation on the “why”. Not much of a how-to, since it was a PITA to track down all the wiring.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/195689-possible-to-add-heatedcooled-oem-seats/

Awesome, thanks!  I can’t believe the amount of work on these but appreciate all the time and trying. 

I’m glad a read it all the way down lol cause this picture is but scary.. thanks.!

Does the steering wheel has to come off? Or can it be wiggled around to take the dash off? I had a hard time when I replaced my non heated steering wheel to the heated one.. [emoji17]just wondering.

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

Holy crap!  I don't know what procedure is happening here. but definitely not your average DIY modification!

Seriously it's not near as bad as it looks to be honest.  However I was a Mercedes-Benz Master Technician before I had to move back to Kansas so this wasn't anything new.  It's a lot easier than some dashes that I've pulled.  I was actually rewiring the dash to install the OEM RSE system to have full rear console inputs so I could wire in an HDMI input and have it display on both the front and overhead screens.  Unfortunately, since I don't have a sunroof I had to replace my headliner which wasn't cheap.  It's been well worth it though, especially if you ask my son.  The hardest part of the entire job was squeezing the old and new headliners in and out through the left rear door without damaging them.

26 minutes ago, Viktorrocks15 said:

Does the steering wheel has to come off? Or can it be wiggled around to take the dash off? I had a hard time when I replaced my non heated steering wheel to the heated one.. emoji17.pngjust wondering.

Just pull the entire column as it's easier than trying to maneuver around it.  If you try to squeeze the dash around the steering wheel, I am 99.99% it won't fit anyways.  If I'm wrong, you will more than likely scratch/tear your heated steering wheel.  The column comes out very easily.  There is 1 bolt that connects the upper steering shaft to the intermediate steering shaft near the firewall.  Then there are 2 nuts and 2 bolts that hold the steering column up to the lower internal dash support which is the big metal piece in the picture that runs the full width of the dash area.  The tilt level pulls straight out the side and then the steering column covers will just pop off and you'll have access to unplug the harness. 

I attached a pdf file for the removal procedure.

K2 Instrument Panel Removal.pdf

Just pull the entire column as it's easier than trying to maneuver around it.  If you try to squeeze the dash around the steering wheel, I am 99.99% it won't fit anyways.  If I'm wrong, you will more than likely scratch/tear your heated steering wheel.  The column comes out very easily.  There is 1 bolt that connects the upper steering shaft to the intermediate steering shaft near the firewall.  Then there are 2 nuts and 2 bolts that hold the steering column up to the lower internal dash support which is the big metal piece in the picture that runs the full width of the dash area.  The tilt level pulls straight out the side and then the steering column covers will just pop off and you'll have access to unplug the harness. 

I attached a pdf file for the removal procedure.
K2 Instrument Panel Removal.pdf

Thank you!!! This will def help to make much easier.[emoji1317]

18 minutes ago, Viktorrocks15 said:

Thank you!!! This will def help to make much easier.emoji1317.png

If you follow everything in the pdf, you'll tear it down further than you'll need if you're doing just the cover.  To remove just the cover, you won't need to remove the 4 bolts in step 19 if I remember correctly.  You will however need to take out more screws than the pdf tells you too but you won't have to fight with the IP harness.

Archived