Old people and cars

Donstar

I saw the following picture on another thread and I stared at the car and then the woman.  Most who see a version of this Firebird today will have lots to say about its timeless beauty.  I want to put a plea in for the woman in the picture.  I spend a fair bit of time in our local seniors centre and try to treat all of the ladies as if they were the girl in this picture. (They once were or pretty close)   I speak to the gentleman as if they were once her boyfriend!   I admire the people who visit seniors and treat them like everyday people. I know some people are uncomfortable around older seniors.  Just remember they know what it is to be your age so treat them like they belonged in this picture!

firebird.jpg

• Like 1

I’m 62, my thoughts aren’t much different than my 20s. It may take me a little longer to complete some tasks. As far as younger people accepting older people, that’s comical. Most older people don’t want to be bothered with the nonsense of younger people and want to hang out with their peers. Smart younger people seek out older people to guide them down the road they already traveled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

23 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Most older people don’t want to be bothered with the nonsense of younger people and want to hang out with their peers. 

Maybe some, but I believe most seniors with their minds intact are very comfortable with younger people.  I find that if you don't talk baby talk or shout, the most introverted old person will appreciate your company.  You are the same vintage as me and I also feel quite at ease in a group of young people with similar interests. I believe a healthy brain levels the age gap.   I also go for coffee regularly with an 85 yr old  friend I've had for decades.  She often brings a peer along for the outing.  The conversation,  jokes and opinions are timeless and peppered with incredible wisdom.  

• Like 1

Maybe some, but I believe most seniors with their minds intact are very comfortable with younger people.  I find that if you don't talk baby talk or shout, the most introverted old person will appreciate your company.  You are the same vintage as me and I also feel quite at ease in a group of young people with similar interests. I believe a healthy brain levels the age gap.   I also go for coffee regularly with an 85 yr old  friend I've had for decades.  She often brings a peer along for the outing.  The conversation,  jokes and opinions are timeless and peppered with incredible wisdom.  

My wife and spend a lot of time with people our age and older. I’ve had a very good life listening to advice of people who have more life experience than me. I find as my kids get closer to 40 they tend to seek our advice more as time goes on. The I know everything smile and glassed over look we used to get in their 20s has faded. The grand kids are the ones I worry about. The addiction to the phone, and the texting each other constantly even when their in the same room is unnerving. I’ve had more than one under 20 say their not in a hurry to grow up or drive. What are they teaching in school these days?

It's too easy for many of the young ones today. Too permissive with gadgets and lack of family time.

Don't want the kids bugging you today,  get them a phone.

How easy is it for you to have a regular conversation with your grandchildren? I have found it frustrating at times.

They get jumpy to get back to whatever they were doing before you got there.

Gotta kick them outdoors and experience the world.

I have found that if someone talks to you openly and honestly that they are entitled to the same from me, and I give it freely.

Age has nothing to do with it and should not be a consideration.

I'm 62 in a couple of months,  I find the 20ish generation treat and respect me better than the same generation a decade ago. Is it that they're changing or that I'm 10 years older, I'm not sure, is it education or better parenting ???  Is it that I remind them of their grand-dad, maybe!  But just going to the local Petro-Can which is mostly staffed by minimum wage personnel I find them really nice and willing to engage or starting a conversation and asking advice.  I like to help people and i'm very willing to answer or suggest possible options because we don't always have the answer.  There's a young girl at the A&W inside the Petro-Can with a young child and her mate just left her.  She's particularly going through a hard time and whenever she seeks a listening ear I take time out of my day to listen.  She's not annoying by any means and I can feel she just needs encouragement and to take one day at a time. Some of us have it good.

Edited by Coby7

16 hours ago, DONWT15 said:

I have found that if someone talks to you openly and honestly that they are entitled to the same from me, and I give it freely.

Age has nothing to do with it and should not be a consideration.

Well said.  I spent my work life in the public school system and now spend my spare time volunteering with seniors.  I am comfortable initiating conversation with all age groups.  I often find well meaning people struggle when conversing with older seniors.  Yes, you may need to accommodate for such challenges as hearing but using nursery school vocabulary usually results in limited responses. The picture in my initial post is how I try to approach my interactions with the feeblest of seniors.  Brain deterioration is not always proportionate to physical appearance.  I turned 64 last week and we all know what song I heard more often than Happy Birthday.  I was 13 when this particular song was released.  To teenage me,  a 64 year old (senior) was an entity of its own. I had little comprehension as to how the thoughts and experiences of youth remain and are added to as years pass.  Get a 90 year man talking about horsepower and you'll be surprised how long this discussion has been taking place!

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 1

I'm sneaking up on 65 in a few months and have already experienced the 20 somethings trying to "impress" me and others heading into their golden years.

Makes me think about an expression my father used on his 70th birthday when my youngest brother got a little arrogant:

"watch your mouth sonny, I've already forgotten more than you're ever gonna know"

I started laughing and he turned to me and asked if I had something to say

My response was "No Sir"

All anyone wants is a little respect as a person.

• Haha 1

I have developed a bit of walk that prompts others to walk ahead and open doors for me or offer me a seat in crowded venues.  I don't need this type of treatment but I make sure to express my appreciation to such kindness.  I've also experienced some mocking by youth trying to earn points with their peers.  I don't confront, but I hope they get to experience old age!   DONWT15 mentioned his father and this reminded me of mine.  My father taught me a wonderful lesson while he was in hospice care.  He had come to terms (as much as one can) but the thing that bugged him the most is that they took away his Driver's licence!  Speaking about dignity...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm 65 later this year. I've had a friend or three my age, a few even younger but the majority of my friends have been from birth 20 years or more older than myself. That's going to be a problem soon. The heard of 85 plus is thinning rapidly and I never learned this language the youth speak today. Don't want to either. It's a cruel thing being done to speech. Hum...come to think of it, I hardly recognize the words and phrases of those my own age. I have no trouble understanding my father, my aunts and uncles and older cousins. Isn't that funny?

Donstar, been through the Hospice thing. 5 years after that birthday party we lost him. They have gotten a donation from us every year for the last 13 years. He would ask what's new all the time, where's the kids, and don't let your brother take the car. Not sure which one he meant.

Grumpy, making it to 85 is a serious accomplishment and anyone there should be applauded.

Granddaughter talks a different language and I have to get her Grandmother to translate. 8 year old girl starts talking in iPhone expressions and I'm lost within 3 minutes. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming up to 62 and the things I worry about are having enough savings to retire, health, activities to stay busy, etc.  This kind of thinking separates old people from young.  I'm still  working, but I have the mindset to retire in the next few years. I've become a mentor for the younger engineers and my role is more consultant than engineer. My pay has generously peaked, our savings is more than I could have ever imagined, and I should be comfortably content.  But, now I am wanting some of those expensive cars I wasn't able to afford. I drive a 14 2SS Camaro, but a GT350 and ZL1 are on my bucket list.  Curses!

And that old beanpole of a gal should know better'n to put her foot on that fender.

image.png.a66e5644ffde388a1d52dd0fa3149b99.png

Edited by Spurshot

I'm coming up to 62 and the things I worry about are having enough savings to retire, health, activities to stay busy, etc.  This kind of thinking separates old people from young.  I'm still  working, but I have the mindset to retire in the next few years. I've become a mentor for the younger engineers and my role is more consultant than engineer. My pay has generously peaked, our savings is more than I could have ever imagined, and I should be comfortably content.  But, now I am wanting some of those expensive cars I wasn't able to afford. I drive a 14 2SS Camaro, but a GT350 and ZL1 are on my bucket list.  Curses!

And that old beanpole of a gal should know better'n to put her foot on that fender.
image.png.a66e5644ffde388a1d52dd0fa3149b99.png

Most of my older relatives retired with paid off houses in low overhead neighborhoods. They rarely need more than their SS income. It take less than they say. Buy your toy now, pay it off before you retire. It will last the rest of your life. That’s what I did.