Old people and cars

Donstar

On 3/8/2018 at 2:57 PM, KARNUT said:

Most of my older relatives retired with paid off houses in low overhead neighborhoods. They rarely need more than their SS income. It take less than they say. Buy your toy now, pay it off before you retire. It will last the rest of your life. That’s what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often compare my situation with others and wish I'd done things differently and then I see others and am glad I took the path that got me where I am today.  Planning for retirement is tough and even tougher if you don't have a good pension plan!  One of the points I try to make to my kids and grand-kids is that these  old people they see among them are simply older versions of people just like themselves.  I often flip it and let them know that if they take care of themselves and with some luck they will become old as well.  It is extremely difficult for younger people to see this connection.  They understand it on an intellectual level but still too distant of a reality.  Taking the prospect of retirement more seriously in my 20's  and 30's would have made a huge difference for me personally.  I'm happy that I finally "got it" in my 40's and 50's but this was only after watching my Dad working into his 70's and never seeing retirement.

I often compare my situation with others and wish I'd done things differently and then I see others and am glad I took the path that got me where I am today.  Planning for retirement is tough and even tougher if you don't have a good pension plan!  One of the points I try to make to my kids and grand-kids is that these  old people they see among them are simply older versions of people just like themselves.  I often flip it and let them know that if they take care of themselves and with some luck they will become old as well.  It is extremely difficult for younger people to see this connection.  They understand it on an intellectual level but still too distant of a reality.  Taking the prospect of retirement more seriously in my 20's  and 30's would have made a huge difference for me personally.  I'm happy that I finally "got it" in my 40's and 50's but this was only after watching my Dad working into his 70's and never seeing retirement.

I was in my 40s before I could even think about it. At least I paid off my home. I started my own IRA and paid off two more homes. I now have modest amount in my IRA. I have two rental homes for income. I live in a acreage subdivision with no HOA so no fees. I could (live)on my SS. I use my rental income for fun stuff. It only took a high 5 figure income to accomplish this. I didn’t spend a lot still was able to have over 100 automobiles. It came be done easily. The first piece of the puzzle is finding the right spouse and sticking it out.

28 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

The first piece of the puzzle is finding the right spouse and sticking it out.

100% agreement!  I am very fortunate to have 40+ years of waking up with my best friend.   There are so many mutually personal and financial benefits going into retirement happily married!  I had a colleague retire  happily married with the difference being that this was his second wife.  50% of his pension and much of his savings was to go to his first.  Again, an example of where I'm glad about some of my earlier decisions!

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, KARNUT said:

I’m 62, my thoughts aren’t much different than my 20s. It may take me a little longer to complete some tasks. As far as younger people accepting older people, that’s comical. Most older people don’t want to be bothered with the nonsense of younger people and want to hang out with their peers. Smart younger people seek out older people to guide them down the road they already traveled.

If the younger people are smart. In my part of Canada we have the young dumbass millennials for electing both a left wing Federal Govt. and a left wing Provincial govt. But I guess they are going to be paying for the debts that are racking up so good on them!

If the younger people are smart. In my part of Canada we have the young dumbass millennials for electing both a left wing Federal Govt. and a left wing Provincial govt. But I guess they are going to be paying for the debts that are racking up so good on them!

We’re all going to end up like Venezuela if we keep it up. Here in the states just go to California or New Jersey to get a taste of too much government. My entire immediate family fled to Texas 40 years ago from Jersey it was like a breath of fresh air. We restarted our business here and thrived. We were getting held back by taxes and regulations even back then. Now the libs are fleeing to Texas and trying to do the same as they did in California. They just don’t learn.

14 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

We’re all going to end up like Venezuela if we keep it up. Here in the states just go to California or New Jersey to get a taste of too much government. My entire immediate family fled to Texas 40 years ago from Jersey it was like a breath of fresh air. We restarted our business here and thrived. We were getting held back by taxes and regulations even back then. Now the libs are fleeing to Texas and trying to do the same as they did in California. They just don’t learn.

We are getting lots of Texans here in Colorado who are fleeing Texas because of the Californians. 

:)

We are getting lots of Texans here in Colorado who are fleeing Texas because of the Californians. 

[emoji4]

I’m sure the happy tobacco helps.[emoji106]

The age of 70 is coming to slap me in August. I will say that I have nicer vehicles now that the girls are grown and gone. But, mama's '96 Tahoe had been on life support the last couple of years so she just sold it and bought a 2016 4runner. She doesn't want to put miles on our (my) towing truck. But it is getting kind of long in the tooth at 95k. :P  She did buy me a new bug deflector yesterday though. Back to truck payments again for a couple of years on her Toyo though.

You let her buy a Crapota?   Bummer :(  Just kidding.  As long as the wife is happy then we men are able to do more fun things. 

I wish my wife would want a 4Runner!  She has little interest in vehicles other than she drives a safe and clean vehicle. (Nice colour is a bonus)  Retirement income is carefully monitored and it's hard to get my truck "needs" on the priority list.  Items of mutual (hers) interest achieve highest priority!

Archived