Rotate tires.

I'm probably the odd one out here; I rotate my own tires about every 10,000km and just move each wheel to the next hub in a clockwise manner - LF>RF>RR>LR>LF. Always worked fine for me on both 2wd and 4wd vehicles.

Doing it at home also gives me a chance to look at the brakes and other things.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aseibel said:

I totally agree with you. But when you get 2 or 4 "free service visits" included, why not use them? I have no intention of ever paying for an oil change or tire rotation. But if GM is going to give me a couple on the house for buying a truck, I'll go sit in the dealership and eat their popcorn, drink their soda and use their wifi for an hour.

nothing is free. especially my free time. my brain thinks that an hour would be better blown doing it myself than driving up to the dealership and waiting on my truck while I fool myself into thinking I'm getting a deal on anything...

14 hours ago, Jetmek said:

You get free popcorn and soda while you wait? I'm getting screwed. No popcorn, and coffee that I can't drink anyway because it's 6 million degrees. My dealership is the only one to touch my truck so my lifetime powertrain warranty stays intact. If something fails because of something they didn't do, they can cover the repair.

The free stuff is over by the sales dept. But that's where i bought my truck, so i have no difficulty walking over there and filling up my belly. haha.

13 hours ago, spectaculous said:

nothing is free. especially my free time. my brain thinks that an hour would be better blown doing it myself than driving up to the dealership and waiting on my truck while I fool myself into thinking I'm getting a deal on anything...

I know what you mean. You are right about the free time. I wasted nearly 2 hours round trip each time I took it in. But I would go over lunch, and walk to a restaurant or something as well. And it was kind of a break, since i would have to be working on something if i was at home anyway. But I kind of agree with Jetmek- when the truck is on warranty, I'm going to let them have all the liability. Now that my 4 oil changes are done, and I only have 4 months of warranty left, its a different story.

The garage at the dealer is also bad at ruining your lugnuts with sockets that are too shallow combined with the air gun.  I made them replace all of mine because the short socket they used wore the chrome off the ends of the lug nuts and they all started to rust.

24 minutes ago, tnchevy said:

The garage at the dealer is also bad at ruining your lugnuts with sockets that are too shallow combined with the air gun.  I made them replace all of mine because the short socket they used wore the chrome off the ends of the lug nuts and they all started to rust.

The goal is not careful, quality workmanship. The goal is to "knock out" jobs as quickly as possible. 

16 hours ago, aseibel said:

I totally agree with you. But when you get 2 or 4 "free service visits" included, why not use them? I have no intention of ever paying for an oil change or tire rotation. But if GM is going to give me a couple on the house for buying a truck, I'll go sit in the dealership and eat their popcorn, drink their soda and use their wifi for an hour.

I agree. In addition to the 2 free services from GM, my dealer gives me free oil changes, tire rotations and batteries for as long as I own the vehicle. I'll be taking advantage of ALL of it.

I use to give my father a bad time for taking his vehicles to the dealership for service. I couldn't understand this because he had an outstanding mechanical aptitude and a tool collection to match. (I believe I inherited both or at least the tools!)   Now I find myself relying on my dealership for regular service.  If you've owned a vehicle for more than 5 minutes you probably hae a horror story or two about a bad service experience.  Maybe you even have a bad DIY service experience.   I have found that the safest, most convenient and potentially problem free service  for my GM vehicle is found at by my local GM dealership.  My local dealership's shop has a huge picture window so you can watch them work on your vehicle if you're  interested. There may be time pressures put on mechanics but I believe greater pressure is placed on them to do quality work. If and when I am not 100% satisfied, I tell them.  I have yet to be disappointed with a resolution to a complaint!  

1 hour ago, Loco-diablo said:

I agree. In addition to the 2 free services from GM, my dealer gives me free oil changes, tire rotations and batteries for as long as I own the vehicle. I'll be taking advantage of ALL of it.

I very much doubt that they're "free" ------ somehow or other you paid for these things. I'm trying to picture a dealer handing over a free battery ----- just can't get there.

36 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I very much doubt that they're "free" ------ somehow or other you paid for these things. I'm trying to picture a dealer handing over a free battery ----- just can't get there.

The catch is that ALL scheduled maintenance must be performed by the dealership. I don't have a problem with this as I usually have the dealership maintain my new vehicles anyways. I tend to drop off and have work done while I'm at work.

For those getting rotations at the dealership -- make sure they also relearn the TPMS.  This is supposed to be included in any rotation.

Of course, you can also buy a tool and do it yourself (costs $13 and takes around 30 seconds):

http://www.tpmstoolshop.com/wholesale/el-50448-auto-tire-pressure-monitor-sensor.html

25 minutes ago, sk said:

For those getting rotations at the dealership -- make sure they also relearn the TPMS.  This is supposed to be included in any rotation.

Of course, you can also buy a tool and do it yourself (costs $13 and takes around 30 seconds):

http://www.tpmstoolshop.com/wholesale/el-50448-auto-tire-pressure-monitor-sensor.html

They will still work fine, it's just when your truck says your front-left tire is low, it is now your rear-right tire lol. When you swap to a new set of rims and tires you have to relearn so they can communicate with the new sensors. I did that on my 2010 when I had a set of summer wheels and the stocks for winter. I could be wrong, but I rotated my 2014 about 2 months ago and I didn't get the TPS light. 

On 2018-02-13 at 3:40 PM, Hogtiming said:

Had my first free oil change two days ago. I marked all tires with chalk, they rotated rear straight to front and front crossed on the rear. They also corrected the air pressure in them all (one was about 2lb low) and check/filled all fluids (washer fluid was low)

You should definitely go get your $20 back. It's stated clearly on Chevrolet's website: 

As your comprehensive owner benefit program, Chevrolet Complete Care ensures our commitment to owner satisfaction for all 2017 Chevrolet vehicles.

• 2 maintenance visits, including 2 oil changes and filters, tire rotations and Multi-Point Vehicle Inspection (MPVI)  
  • 5 years of the OnStar Basic Plan
  • 3 months of the OnStar Guidance Plan
  • 5 years or 60,000 miles of Roadside Assistance with Courtesy Transportation

General Motors Canada must have a different program for new owners.  It included 4 free oil changes (Lube/oil/filter) but does not include tire rotations:

The 2-Year Scheduled Lube-Oil-Filter Maintenance Program provides eligible customers in Canada, who have purchased, leased or financed a new eligible Chevrolet vehicle (excluding Spark EV), with an ACDelco oil and filter change, in accordance with the oil life monitoring system and the Owner's Manual, for 2 years or 48,000 km, whichever occurs first, with a limit of four (4) Lube-Oil-Filter services in total, performed at participating GM dealers. Fluid top offs, inspections, tire rotations, wheel alignments and balancing, etc. are not covered. This offer may not be redeemed for cash and may not be combined with certain other consumer incentives available on GM vehicles. General Motors of Canada Limited reserves the right to amend or terminate this offer, in whole or in part, at any time without prior notice. Additional conditions and limitations apply. See dealer for details.

On 2/14/2018 at 3:42 PM, sk said:

I think you mentioned this in another thread so I ordered one and it came in the day before I rotated my tires.  Took some internet searching to figure out how to use it but once I got it figured out the little $13 tool worked great.

Archived