Onto the truck package ordering issues

Now that I’ve seen that the 2019s will have the features I’ve been wanting for years,  cant help but wonder how the ordering will go.

for instance, when ordering my 2015 LTZ I “HAD” to have the chrome everything and there was no way to change that in the ordering process. So I had to have the dealer order all the parts I didn’t want chrome, they had them painted and waiting for my truck arrival.

so fast forward to now and I’m sure there will be a lot of hurdles to jump thru.  I’m betting in order to get HUD(one of my main wants) I’ll have the get the High Country because they won’t put it in LTZ.  Only problem is the high country to this point only come in like 3 paint colors which I don’t want.

or even better, if I want the trail boss I’d have to settle for an LT model!! Why in the world can you not order the trail boss in an LTZ package(without the chrome everywhere), and really stipulate what all you want on the truck if you are willing to pay for it?

I guess all I’m trying to say that I want is to be able to go to their ordering page and when alert pops up showing the added features when I click the LTZ package that I can I click the certain added features that are part of the LTZ package that I don’t want like all the chrome.

then on the equipment page for instance, I could add the 2 inch lift that normally comes with the trail boss, or better yet click the trail boss package also even though I know that’s truly asking too much.  

I mean hell, I wasn’t even allowed to get the cheaper wheels I thought looked better when ordering mine because they weren’t allowed when getting the LTZ.  

I get pretty specific with with what I like, I feel I have the right to when ordering a truck that was just shy of $60,000.  Now that the new model has more packages and features I like, all features that are in different packages,  I know it’s going to create many issues when it comes to ordering.

I can almost can promise you that I won’t be able to order a decked out LTZ with GMs warranted 2 inch kit and overall appearance of the trail boss.  So what then? Do I have to order a trail boss?  Well I won’t be able to add all the features from the LTZ because they don’t allow that,  or have yet to in at least the most recent years.  

Their spec/ordering thought process lacks greatly.

5 minutes ago, Robopie said:

Sounds like your ticket is a Denali. No chrome.

Yeah I’ve always like the denali, but don’t see them doing the 2 inch lift on that.

as it stands, from what I know of the 2019s, I’d build my next one like:

exterior: trailboss

Not red, would need to see the colors list to pick different.

Maybe the Chevrolet across the grill

interior:  LTZ 

Should include the new push start, heated and cooled seats, sunroof, all the other features we’ve come to expect with LTZ.

HUD, not sure if this will be on the LTZ or High country yet.  I have seen pictures from the shows with the bud controls, just don’t know which model.

Should be simple enough at least on the base options before getting into the extra like spray in Berliner, bed tie downs, etc you can add on any model in the ordering process.  

38 minutes ago, obfirefighter22 said:

Now that I’ve seen that the 2019s will have the features I’ve been wanting for years,  cant help but wonder how the ordering will go.

for instance, when ordering my 2015 LTZ I “HAD” to have the chrome everything and there was no way to change that in the ordering process. So I had to have the dealer order all the parts I didn’t want chrome, they had them painted and waiting for my truck arrival.

so fast forward to now and I’m sure there will be a lot of hurdles to jump thru.  I’m betting in order to get HUD(one of my main wants) I’ll have the get the High Country because they won’t put it in LTZ.  Only problem is the high country to this point only come in like 3 paint colors which I don’t want.

or even better, if I want the trail boss I’d have to settle for an LT model!! Why in the world can you not order the trail boss in an LTZ package(without the chrome everywhere), and really stipulate what all you want on the truck if you are willing to pay for it?

Your thoughts was exactly like mine! I would like the HUD and the full digital gauges but I knows that they probably wont offer it in  LTZ, The LT trail boss is the model that I likes the best but I really don't think its going to offer all the nice options!

I am really thinking that you will see a ZR2 Silverado in the next year or so, During interviews the engineers said there was a lot of interest off-road performance . There's a space between LTZ and high country that fits a Zr2's spot perfectly! To make a Zr2 really add multimatic shocks, front and rear locking diff, make modified front bumper. and make the budge in the hood larger(like the Colorado Zr2's)

2 hours ago, obfirefighter22 said:

Their spec/ordering thought process lacks greatly.

I agree that in 2018 the technology exists that we should be able to pick every single option a-la-carte. But the factories aren't set-up to be that customized for each individual chassis. They make money by building 1,000+ identical trucks and selling them with specific "packages" like the trail boss. Sometimes its cheaper to get a package truck than order just a handful of items you want. I didn't need the Z-71 package, but it came with all the options I would have ordered so that's what's in my garage. I get your dilemma, but it sounds like you are still going to be stuck modding to get exactly what you want from 2-3 different truck models.

3 hours ago, obfirefighter22 said:

Your about 50-60 years to late for that kind of ordering. It's a shame that something should cost this much and you can't get exactly what you want. 

I would really wished GM would offer the trail boss as a optional package not a trim model. For example many people like myself likes the idea of the 2" lift from the factory by GM but get it in their preferred trim level.,  for example I would buy a LTZ in order to get some of the fancy options such as leather heated/cooled seats. safety package and other premium features like turn signals in mirrors, but with this its riding on a stock suspension.

Also it think there should be a option for a body colored grill and front and rear bumpers on the LTZ to make a more sportier premium approach, which would look like todays LTZ Z71. mix of chrome and body colored. The new high country is nice but I don't think those bronze accents and the brown interior would appeal to everyone. Like todays high country model you can only get it on certain colors.

1 hour ago, silveradonationfan15 said:

I don't think the 6.2L is going to be offered in lower trim levels. I watched on YouTube someone did interview with the engineers, they did say when you goes up to the premium trims you gets the big 6.2L as a option

And that shows the dumbness of GM these days. Perhaps somebody wants a truck with max tow package with the big 6.2L to use the truck to actually work. Sorry, you have to buy this loaded 60k truck and get all this crap you may or may not want. Didn’t they offer the 6.2 in the NNBS in the lower levels originally?

They offered the 6.2 on the LT and SLE back then.

So basically this thread is a complaint the box checker version isn't box checker enough, is that right? You start adding more stuff (ie high trim packages to off road models) then they want big wheels and a sporty yet plush ride and soon the off road version is less capable. There are distinct options and trim levels, lets just leave it at that. Ala cart would be nice but isn't happening unless you spend a couple hundred thousand on a vehicle.

Tyler

15 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

They offered the 6.2 on the LT and SLE back then.

So basically this thread is a complaint the box checker version isn't box checker enough, is that right? You start adding more stuff (ie high trim packages to off road models) then they want big wheels and a sporty yet plush ride and soon the off road version is less capable. There are distinct options and trim levels, lets just leave it at that. Ala cart would be nice but isn't happening unless you spend a couple hundred thousand on a vehicle.

Tyler

First off, a couple hundred thousand? You do realize we are on a website discussing GM vehicles right?

Yeah I guess this is a complaint thread. But it does kind of run you the wrong way to know that you can literally build the nicest model Chevy has to offer, pay the premium price for it, but would have to go aftermarket to get a 2 inch lift that Chevy literally could add at the factory without complication, and with a warrantee.  But it’s simply not going to happen because... I guess so they can market two different trucks.

it just defies logic in a lot of ways. I guess they don’t feel like someone whom may want the 2 inch lift wouldn’t be the same person who would like fancy stuff inside their truck.  

To me it shows a lack of effort on GMs part. For instance, in 2005-2006ish Chevy had the regency edition lifted truck.  They did a great job, almost, with everything.  It had 6 inch lift, carbon fiber int trim, special instrument clusters, custom exhaust, I believe a sunroof and much more.  Essentially a truck the way I’d have ordered at the time.  BUT there was one thing that always struck me as odd that they did.  In this truck that had every bell and whistle they offered, they decided to put the non touch screen radio/head unit in it. 

I think it could be argued that no where else do companies do this to consumers, and if so it’s not often.  It’s like the cable company offering pause and record with their basic/cheapest package, but not in their premium package. 

Archived