Allison 1000 service

Hey guys I inherited an 06 LBZ and I’m not sure when the last trans service was, the current fluid looks good but it’s overdue for a service the plug had a leak and the dealer fixed it and replaced lost fluid at that time that was at 90-95k it’s at 175k now in order to fix the gasket they’d have to drain it right? Is a service a bad idea?

12 hours ago, bigchevyz71 said:

Hey guys I inherited an 06 LBZ and I’m not sure when the last trans service was, the current fluid looks good but it’s overdue for a service the plug had a leak and the dealer fixed it and replaced lost fluid at that time that was at 90-95k it’s at 175k now in order to fix the gasket they’d have to drain it right? Is a service a bad idea?

06 LBZ is considered by many to be "the best Duramax" so you got a nice inheritance.  (But I still like my 2004.5 LLY a lot.)  The older Allisons have seals that may not be compatible with Dex-VI (will eventually leak).  Allison changed to compatible ones sometime in 2006.  There is a serial number cutoff if you want to crawl under to get yours and then research it on the internet to see if you're ok with Dex-VI.  If you have the service done at a dealer they will use Dex-VI.

A TES-295 rated (and tested/approved is even better) ATF is the best (according to Allison) for all years, and is compatible with the seals for all years.  A genuine Allison filter is well made and reasonably priced ($13 on Amazon, or $20 if you need the magnet . . . oh yeah, the spin-on has a magnet that should be re-used but sometimes gets thrown away by those who don't notice it).

As Davester points out, drain and fill with an external spin-on filter is the best route to go.  It will take about 7.4 quarts of ATF, which is about half of the total.  At 170*F the proper fill level is about 1/4th of the way up the hot hash area on the dip stick.  If you overfill, the Allison will run hot.

BTW, NEVER flush an Allison with an external machine.  There are passive methods that are ok but aren't necessary.  If you feel strongly about replacing more fluid, simply drain/fill, run it around a bit, then drain/fill again.

While some disagree with flushing, I've never had an issue with flushing an Allison or any transmission for that matter.  But the place I use knows how to do it properly with the right equipment. 

Archived