Considering new truck, thoughts?

SSchup

1 hour ago, TRG said:

Definitely encouraging to hear!  So you didn't do any type of tune or anything like that...it just worked itself out somehow?

Yes it worked it's self out. It would do the clunk when coming to a stop,felt like it did not know what gear to find. Buts it all good now. No tune 100% stock. AFM works fine also. Alot of my friends have these same trucks with 0 issues. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

I see.  I bought my 15 on January 2 this year.  Had 28,500 miles on it.  I paid about 18k less than new.  It's a CPO vehicle, so they extend the bumper to bumper by 12 Mo and 12k miles and drive train was extended 12 months but still at 100k.  The 15's had a better drivetrain warranty than the 16+ to start with.

I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't buy new.  It's very cool to be the only owner of a vehicle.  But I can't make the numbers work for me.  63 cents a mile in depreciation is a big pill to swallow.  Not as bad as other cars though.  Trucks hold value better than most cars, but that's still a big hit. 

If you plan to keep it forever, maybe it doesn't matter.  It doesn't sound like you need a new truck now, so you have time to watch for exactly what you want.  That's what I did.  I wasn't really planning to buy when I did, but I found exactly what I wanted and I beat them up until they gave me the price I wanted.

Good luck.

Sounds like you got a great deal compared to what I'm seeing in my area. As an example, nearby dealer has a 2016 Silverado LTZ crew cab with 20K miles. Want's  $38K, and that is the cheapest I've found in Michigan. I got a Quote for a new 2018 GMC SLT crew cab equipped the same from a dealer in Illinois  $41,835.00 plus taxes. To me it just makes more sense to go with the new one.

Biggest issue here is finding a crew cab, Most of our dealers are loaded with double cabs because they lease them for $200.00 or less a month. The Dealer my sister works for has 340 Silverado's 1500's and 5 are crew cabs and the rest are double cabs.

Sounds like you got a great deal compared to what I'm seeing in my area. As an example, nearby dealer has a 2016 Silverado LTZ crew cab with 20K miles. Want's  $38K, and that is the cheapest I've found in Michigan. I got a Quote for a new 2018 GMC SLT crew cab equipped the same from a dealer in Illinois  $41,835.00 plus taxes. To me it just makes more sense to go with the new one.
Biggest issue here is finding a crew cab, Most of our dealers are loaded with double cabs because they lease them for $200.00 or less a month. The Dealer my sister works for has 340 Silverado's 1500's and 5 are crew cabs and the rest are double cabs.
Expand your search radius. I had to drive 4 hours to pick up my Silverado regular cab. Here locally they only had WT or LS models, I wanted LT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, SirenRed16 said:

Expand your search radius. I had to drive 4 hours to pick up my Silverado regular cab. Here locally they only had WT or LS models, I wanted LT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have definitely expanded my search area. I went 750 miles to get what I wanted on my 2013.  

That's funny.  Mine came off a lease in Michigan.  Expand your search a lot!  Trucks are pricey here in Colorado, but the truck you describe would be 35 ish here.  A high country or Denali might push 40.  I looked at one that was close to what I got that was priced at 35k, but there were some small things I didn't like and I thought the price was too high.  38 is way too much.

Ive had three.  One 2016 w the 8 speed had a few issues, one certainly was the transmission.   I liked the truck enough to try again.  Another 2016,this time with the 6 speed.   Now, a 2018 with the 6 speed.   Transmissions shift fine.  At all speeds.  And zero issue with AFM in any of the three.  I’d have to watch the DIC to even know if that cylinder shift was taking place!

That's funny.  Mine came off a lease in Michigan.  Expand your search a lot!  Trucks are pricey here in Colorado, but the truck you describe would be 35 ish here.  A high country or Denali might push 40.  I looked at one that was close to what I got that was priced at 35k, but there were some small things I didn't like and I thought the price was too high.  38 is way too much.

I agree with this. I got my 15 CPO LTZ for 22k less than new last week. 20k less than new after I got the bumper to bumper 4yr warranty, tax tag title, and floor mats.

Shop around. I looked on CL, autotrader, cars.com. Ended up finding it on cargurus (which btw is a great site, it was my first time using it). Site even gives you days on lot and recent price changes, which really helped my negotiation power.

That being said, I was willing to travel 100 miles. Found mine 3 miles from me. Keep looking, good luck.

2 hours ago, WC_LTZ said:

I agree with this. I got my 15 CPO LTZ for 22k less than new last week. 20k less than new after I got the bumper to bumper 4yr warranty, tax tag title, and floor mats.

Shop around. I looked on CL, autotrader, cars.com. Ended up finding it on cargurus (which btw is a great site, it was my first time using it). Site even gives you days on lot and recent price changes, which really helped my negotiation power.

That being said, I was willing to travel 100 miles. Found mine 3 miles from me. Keep looking, good luck.

When you say you got it for 22K less then new,  are you saying less then the 2015 MSRP?  I've seen 2018 GMC SLT's at 15K less then MSRP as of right now. And what kind of mileage on your 2015? 

I use cargurus  when I search because they tell you how long it's been listed and the price history. Amazing how much price fluctuation some listings have had.

13 hours ago, SSchup said:

Seems to be the opposite here in new england. Most of the newer GM's I see around here are CC's.

What is the sticker on that 2018 SLT in Illinois? That seems like a good price for a new SLT especially if it has the 6.2.

15 hours ago, TRG said:

While I wouldn't discourage anyone from purchasing a 2018 or 2019, the transmission issues are not phantom issues...there's something wrong with how they tuned/coded these transmissions.  I had a 2007 GMC Sierra work truck (4.8 L V-8) that drove smooth engine wise up until I traded it in 3 weeks ago at 150k miles.  I purchased a 2018 Silverado 1500 (5.3L - 6Spd)...I love the truck, however...when driving at a consistent speed the truck is chugging, fumbling, whatever you want to call it...looking for a gear.  Installing an AFM disabler has helped a great deal, but when trying to hold a steady consistent speed while in 6th gear at low RPMs...it just constantly jerks, misfires.  I've talked to 2 other people that have 5.3L 2017 models and they experience the exact same thing.  That's when I decided that it's likely not a break-in period issue and found this site and the many others on this site that have experienced the exact same issue.  I'd like to do the BB performance tune that others swear by, but I'm only 700 miles into this truck and don't want to void any warranty, so I'm holding off on that.  Again, really like the truck, and am hopeful that GM will come out with some type of fix to make these things drive like they should, without the constant gear hunting while at high gear/low rpm/consistent speeds.          

It isn't a phantom issue if you three are having misfire problems... Nothing wrong with the transmissions other than some rogue issues, they were designed with mpg in mind so they shift much sooner which sometimes puts them in a lower gear than the driver wants. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong, just put your foot down a little more.

With all the different possible scenario combinations for throttle position, speed, drag, angle, load, ect it is impossible for any designer and engineer to figure out every possible combination so you never ever experience a low speed chug or gear hunt or anything like that. Mine does it once in a blue moon, 99.9% of the time shifts great and responds as it should. I think many people that complain on here just need to have some more normal expectations. The ZF units are better don't get me wrong, but they aren't immune to the occasional rogue issue either, just google it and you will find them with threads about gear hunting, 2-1 thunk, shifting issues, ect...

OP, there is nothing to worry about there are no big regular issues. I would feel more comfortable buying a last year truck at a discount long term than a new one unless there was some new feature I just had to have (which never happens for me).

Tyler

6 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

Seems to be the opposite here in new england. Most of the newer GM's I see around here are CC's.

What is the sticker on that 2018 SLT in Illinois? That seems like a good price for a new SLT especially if it has the 6.2.

MSRP is $56,215 on the SLT, but it is 5.3 not 6.2. Looks to be pretty well optioned out though.

6 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

It isn't a phantom issue if you three are having misfire problems... Nothing wrong with the transmissions other than some rogue issues, they were designed with mpg in mind so they shift much sooner which sometimes puts them in a lower gear than the driver wants. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong, just put your foot down a little more.

With all the different possible scenario combinations for throttle position, speed, drag, angle, load, ect it is impossible for any designer and engineer to figure out every possible combination so you never ever experience a low speed chug or gear hunt or anything like that. Mine does it once in a blue moon, 99.9% of the time shifts great and responds as it should. I think many people that complain on here just need to have some more normal expectations. The ZF units are better don't get me wrong, but they aren't immune to the occasional rogue issue either, just google it and you will find them with threads about gear hunting, 2-1 thunk, shifting issues, ect...

OP, there is nothing to worry about there are no big regular issues. I would feel more comfortable buying a last year truck at a discount long term than a new one unless there was some new feature I just had to have (which never happens for me).

Tyler

Yeah, I don't have a problem buying an outgoing model, I did it with my 2013. The 2014's didn't really appeal to me when they came out.  As of right now the 2019's kind of turn me off and I'm not sold on the start stop technology that sounds like it will be standard on them.

20 hours ago, SirenRed16 said:

ounds like you got a great deal compared to what I'm seeing in my area. As an example, nearby dealer has a 2016 Silverado LTZ crew cab with 20K miles. Want's  $38K, and that is the cheapest I've found in Michigan. I got a Quote for a new 2018 GMC SLT crew cab equipped the same from a dealer in Illinois  $41,835.00 plus taxes. To me it just makes more sense to go with the new one.

Try looking at Laura GMC outside of St. Louis, according to their website, they have 162 SLT Crew Cab's with 6.2 starting at $43k with an additional $1,000 discount if you use GM financing.  That's where I got mine a few months back, smoothest transaction I ever had.

I recently did exactly what you are thinking about doing. I traded my 2011 NHT 6.2 for a 2017 SLT 6.2. The 8 speed is different and takes some getting used to and blackbear CANNOT tune the 8 speeds. I hate the afm. Coming from a truck that didn't have it, I can feel it everytime it goes into 4 cylinder mode so I got the range device. It makes a big difference but I will be having blackbear tune it out soon. The truck itself is much better, its quieter, smoother and tighter. I'm glad I got my 17 even tho I loved my 11 for the 7yrs I had it.

Archived