Cant we talk about badges for a second

Ok so I got a white truck, and like most Ive been looking at blacking out the emblems. Ive thought of plasti dipping it, Ive thought about spray painting it, and Ive thought of vinyl wrapping it. I would like to to be completly black with no chrome. Painting / plasti dipping it has turned me off because Im afraid of it eventually chipping. Another thing I will probably do, is paint the other badges or just replace them with black as well.

My question to those that have done this. What has worked the best for you? Did you black out the chrome part too? How has the paint / plasti dip held up, those who did vinyl hows it going?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a black Silverado and I have all of my emblems blacked out with plasti dip. I recently covered my bow ties in vinyl. I have not had any issues with the plasti dip other than the few spots that I got it a little to thin. I know plastidip makes a spray on remover that makes it easy to come off if you need to start over. I like this concept cause I can change it easily if I want to go back to the chrome badges instead of having to buy another badge or something. Hope this helps.

Delivered to you via my cellular device using Tapatalk

I have a black Silverado and I have all of my emblems blacked out with plasti dip. I recently covered my bow ties in vinyl. I have not had any issues with the plasti dip other than the few spots that I got it a little to thin. I know plastidip makes a spray on remover that makes it easy to come off if you need to start over. I like this concept cause I can change it easily if I want to go back to the chrome badges instead of having to buy another badge or something. Hope this helps.

Did you don't he chrome on the edges or just the inner bowtie?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Very nice. So that's vinyl on the chrome or dip?

Vinyl is the center Realtree part and the outer chrome is plastidipped flat black. I had my entire grille plastidipped but found a good deal on a black grille so I changed it out so I wouldn’t have to worry about rock chips or anything. All the lettering on the truck is plastidipped for over a year and no issues.

Vinyl is the center Realtree part and the outer chrome is plastidipped flat black. I had my entire grille plastidipped but found a good deal on a black grille so I changed it out so I wouldn’t have to worry about rock chips or anything. All the lettering on the truck is plastidipped for over a year and no issues.

I thought about just replacing the other badging but it bothers me that it would be gloss and the rest would be flat. When you did your side emblems did you just mark it on the truck and then pull it off and paint it. If so what moulding tape did you use to re attach

I did the plasti dip on my wife's black Terrain. I only covered the red part, left the chrome edges. See the photos in my album below. I'm very happy with it, it has held up well for 6 months so far.

That looks good! I left the chrome on the outside of mine and plasti dipped the gold bowtie to black. Leaving the rest of my badges chrome as I like the contrast with the chrome grill and bumpers. I also recently removed that blue e-assist badge that stuck out like a sore thumb...

afterdroprear.jpg

I thought about just replacing the other badging but it bothers me that it would be gloss and the rest would be flat. When you did your side emblems did you just mark it on the truck and then pull it off and paint it. If so what moulding tape did you use to re attach

Plastidip also has a glossifier that will make it glossy. I just like the flat black look. I kept the badges on the truck and masked off with regular blue painters tape about two inches from the emblems and sprayed it. It will peel off the paint without issue and stay on the lettering. I was actually thinking of doing Realtree vinyl on the lettering but that is too much of a pain in the ass for me. :)

Plastidip has held up over 3 years on my tailgate emblem. It’s not really susceptible to any damage back there unless you’re driving with the tailgate down. I’ve had PD on the front of other vehicles in various places, bugs and other small random road debris will get stuck in it, no chips though in my experience. Rocks will get embedded in it but won’t chip. I used vinyl on the front, I expected it would chip but other junk wouldn’t get stuck in it. It did start showing a few small chips in a year or two, But, It’s immensely easier to remove and redo compared to plastidip. Easy to clean and shine up too, no special cleaner needed or remover if you mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Plastidipped (white of all colors) the bow tie on the front of my 01 2500HD at least 5 years ago. It’s got one very small tear in it when I got lazy at the car wash a couple years ago and got to close with the sprayer I haven’t fixed it yet cause it hasn’t ever gotten any worse. Otherwise it’s held up fine it dose take a little maintenance being a light color.

You only need the “remover” if you spray your dip to thin ie. not enuff layers or over spray. I’ve dipped a fair amount of stuff and have never needed it yet. Like paint prep is the key.

There is a couple good tricks and tips to dipping like warming the can in hot water for a smoother finish. If your interested in dipping look up dipyourcar.com That guy has made his career out of this stuff and he has made tons of videos filled with tips/help, he has the whole product line on his site including some colors/products that only he carries. He does whole vehicles in this stuff it’s crazy...

So far the only thing I’ve dipped on the CC is the steering wheel bow tie because even with tinted windows I couldn’t stand the glare off the chrome. I did it 2+ years ago and it’s held up fine.

Archived