What's a good quality tonneau cover for around $500?

I'm looking for a tonneau for my '17 1500 short bed, and looking for advice. I had a Bak Flip G2 on my last truck, and hated it. I use my bed for hauling garbage to the dump every weekend, and ended up having to flip it up against my rear window to accommodate the garbage cans. What's a good quality soft roll up cover for around $500 +/- $100? I'd like it to latch so it is somewhat secure with the tailgate closed.

I just got one off real truck it’s the American soft rolling it was like 300$. Really nice build solid tight latch on it. Rubber gasket seals. It sits on the inside of the bed with a gasket. Not on top so you can still use stake pockets. Wide Velcro down the sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend truxedo Lo Pro. I would buy it again.

https://www.truxedo.com/p-36211-truxedo-lo-pro.html

$460 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Truxedo-571801-Truck-Cover-14-17/dp/B00CGGXSVO

But there are so many similar ones. You can't go wrong with a soft roll-up for those of us that actually use the bed. Roll it up and secure with the included straps, you have full use of the bed. put it down and its watertight.

How well do the soft roll up covers do when it cold?  Do they get stuff and hard to work with?   Do they crack if frozen? Does the Velcro work if it gets snow and ice on it?

I'm going to be in the market for a cover soon and I'm not sure what kind I want.  

How well do the soft roll up covers do when it cold?  Do they get stuff and hard to work with?   Do they crack if frozen? Does the Velcro work if it gets snow and ice on it?

I'm going to be in the market for a cover soon and I'm not sure what kind I want.  

They work the same never noticed any diff in the summer or winter. Had snow on it never deformed at all. Left it rolled up for a week or 2 Un rolled it and went right on. There pretty durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My AFE hard painted cover came with the truck, but a few years back I was looking at a hard cover that folded up in sections for the old truck. Can't recall the price on that, but I thought it was decent for the money.

Access Original. Worth every penny.

- Have it on a 2004 2500HD since new - still have the truck. The cover still works perfect.

- Had it on a 2006 1500HD for 10 years. The cover was still perfect when I sold the truck.

- Tried a genuine GM roll-up cover when I bought my 2015 1500 - didn't really care for it, sold the cover after a month and put an Access Original on.

- Tried a cheap one from ebay on a 2015 2500hd - It was a cheap piece of junk, hated it. Took it off and put on an Access original.

These trucks are all in the extreme cold, in MN

I have a Truxedo roll up on my old 3/4 ton the model I have they don’t make anymore TonneauTraX but it’s been on the truck at least 6 years. I wanted something that took up minimal space as I hauled my Harley in the bed. It’s held up extremely well truck lives outside 95% of the time and isn’t well maintained appearance wise.  No fading I leave the bed covered, no tears/rips, Velcro still sticks well, mounting hardware has ever come loose, rubber seals are still soft, etc. I believe mine unclips when rolled up and you can remove the whole assembly (minus side rails of course) if you wanted to but l’ve never used that feature since it don’t take up any room anyway.

Some minor maintenance is required needs a good scrubbing twice a year (and then I hit it with some Pro-Tex spray) and have to adjust the tension every now and then (done with a screwdriver takes 5 minutes). 

I’d also recommend the tailgate gasket kit. It helps some cut down on dust/dirt getting blown in the box when cover is on. (I’ve never looked to see if they make one for the K2s)

Mine works fine in winter if you let the snow pile up on it (like a foot of wet heavy) it will sag slightly between the cross supports, I recommend leaving the bed covered if it’s going to snow/freezing rain so the Velcro is covered if the channel fills up with frozen crap it don’t want to stick, I learned the hard way spray a thin coat of silicone spray on the tailgate gasket as it will freeze to the tailgate then the gate don’t open that’s the only winter problem I’ve had with mine.

When or if I decide to put one on the CC it will be a Truxedo. 

Vinyl covers definitely shrink and become unmanageable in colder weather. I've owned all types of soft tonneau covers over the years. Folding, roll up, lift up (strut system), etc..

The vinyl roll up type are by far the worst to manage in the winter in my experience. Especially the 'snap' type.

The extang trifecta 2.0 folding cover that I mentioned in a previous post comes in 2 materials. The standard vinyl, or an optional waterproof canvas type.

+1 for the Access, I've had 2 the newest being almost 6 years old on my 2013 short box. The one before was nine years old that was traded with my extended cab. 

Never a problem with either.

Archived