Radio volume knob

Jp Freak

Does anyone know of a source for a new volume knob for a 2014 Silverado? Or if these can be removed/replaced? 

I just picked up this truck last week and it’s really clean but it looks like something (chemically?) has been eating at the volume knob outer ring. 

TIA

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Jp Freak said:

Turns out that the knob is replaceable. However the dealer is going to cover it under my warranty, so I may not be able to find out how it’s removed. 

I wouldn't worry about not knowing how to do this particular procedure as I doubt you will face this problem again.  Your chemical theory interests me.  I once heard/read that hand sanitizer can play havoc on steering wheels.  Maybe a previous regular driver or passenger had very germ free hands!

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I wouldn't worry about not knowing how to do this particular procedure as I doubt you will face this problem again.  Your chemical theory interests me.  I once heard/read that hand sanitizer can play havoc on steering wheels.  Maybe a previous regular driver or passenger had very germ free hands!

Who knows! It’s pretty gross now tho. 

I’m just curious how it comes apart and might be nice to know for someone else searching how to remove it. Might see what they can tell me. 

from my build thread when i made my LEDs blue  (but photobucket sucks so all my pics are gone, so adding the pics here...)

then the hvac controls. this thing gave me a headache! the biggest thing is TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

remove the entertainment/hvac console - so this is what you start with....

IMG_1866.thumb.JPG.a362769548e292a1c29964835bc2cba3.JPG

the first thing i did was pop out the hvac controls. a small flat screw driver between the module and the housing and it pops out

then i removed the screws from the back plate that secures the touch screen and the entertainment controls (i think there were 13 screws). there is a circuit board on top that has 2 ribbons attached to it. you need to be able to move the board, so carefully disconnect the ribbons

IMG_1873.thumb.JPG.75cc74e3cec1e284e58d96af0774862a.JPG

once the ribbons are disconnected you can remove the entertainment controls

the entertainment module is pretty much held together by the knobs and they were a pain to get out. there is the part at the base of the knob that glows (it's a fairly clear plastic 'ring'). i pried it up and then rotated it a bit so i could see the tabs inside the knobs that were keeping everything in place. i very carefully started prying them up (you can feel the knob start to lift). i worked my way around the knob a couple of times and eventually the knob popped out. once the knob was out, i popped out the center cap of the knob (the part with the power/menu text on it)

there are lots of LEDs to blue out...

IMG_1875.thumb.JPG.e11ff29d905dbd38df107d33713eed6b.JPG

the only LEDs i didn't cover with the blue gels were the ones that illuminate the power/menu caps. for that it was a lot easier to pop the cap open and use double sided clear tape and a piece of gel and put it inside the cap

IMG_1878.thumb.JPG.d1e074a35187277f5c58c2f5ef375787.JPG

final product...

IMG_1900.thumb.JPG.51bb01df5742d3e718cee52d5eb83365.JPG

Archived