Crate Motor Options

Hi all,

My 2008 Silverado 5.3 just dropped another lifter. Cyl 4. for the second time. Replaced the lifters 30 K mile ago on that side along with VLOM and Gaskets, head bolts etc.  Engine has 170K on it now so I want to replace the motor with a crate motor instead of pulling the heads again.

Where is the best place to buy a long block crate motor now days?

Checking around i have the following quotes:

From Fraser Engines for their " High Durability" re manufactured for $3,198 plus $310 Core
From JEGS their 59-DCX4 re manufactured by ATK for $3,340.99 plus $610 core
From Summit it looks like their re manufactured is $4,221.99 plus a $2,500 core charge

Anyone have experience with any of these guys that could make a recommendation?

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll make this my first post....

I’ve  recently purchased an 08 Sub with a failing AFM and just ordered a replacement motor.  The new Sub is a move up from my 94 K2500 6.5l diesel that I pretty much restored so this site is new to me having been a regular at Dieselplace.com with over 500 posts.  

I looked at the GM option which is a LB only. I believe that is what Jeggs is selling as the price is about the same. GM warranty is 3 yrs, 100,000 Miles.  GM also wants the $2,500 core deposit.  I just ordered the HD 5.3l from Fraser and am awaiting shipping.  The main driver was the HD motor is a guaranteed first time rebore on a block and they build the motor themselves with all US parts.  Their lower cost motor is one they resell and can have foreign parts (Chicom castings???).  They supply additional parts with their kit in order to give you the 5 year unlimited miles warranty.  That’s why I bought from them.  

We we will do the swap in the next week or two and I with post additional information.  

Also since the core charge is only $310, I may keep it, swap out the lifters and keep it as a spare for another company truck I own that may need one.  Fraser also includes return shipping so you do a motor swap for less that 4K.  BTW GM dealer wanted $2,700 for labor only plus shop supplies and fluids, so you’re $7,500 if you go full Mr. Goodwrench....

• 3 weeks later...

I did a 5.3 on my 01 4wd Burb last year. Crate rebuild from Dahmer. Also a 3yr 100k warranty. 500 core with free transportation both ways.

Running great. Took about 24 hours over 3 days to compete. Started up great first try,

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I just did a motor swap on that same rig. I bought a used motor online. 

The compression tested good before they shipped it to me. 

I verified the compression was good prior to installation. 

84K miles were on the replacement motor 

Shipped from the other side of the country 

90 day warranty on the motor 

The total cost out the door was $1300, with no core charge. 

The motor runs perfect. 

Personally, I would recommend doing the same thing that I did and get a used one. 

If you don't want to install it yourself, you should be able to find a local shop to install it for $500 to $1,000.

$5,000 to $8,000 for an engine seem pretty excessive, but that's just me. Do what makes ya happy. 

As long as your happy at the end of the day, that's what counts. 

1.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by starman8tdc