Engine temperature

So I recently purchased a 2014 Silverado LTZ crew cab. This one has the 5.3 L 6-speed engine. When I am driving the temperature gauge seems to literally be right at that center 210 degree mark. which to me seems really high compared to the 2005 GMC Sierra that I used to own, which never went above the mark below that one. What does everyone else see for that temperature piece because to me I feel like that's not normal..

In an attempt to help I did replace the air filter with a K&N, but that didn't do anything.

Oil in the air filter? How would that get in there and how would I get rid of that? I have 800 miles before whatever was on my 70k mile warranty and want to try and verify it it's something I need to get serviced or if it's a simple thing they wouldn't cover anyway.. but more info would be helpful.

1.) Over oiling and K&N causes problems. Using it as intended in fine. 

2.) Factory thermostat is 207F with a +/- of 3 F. They run them hotter and hotter. 

I replaced mine with a Jet 170 F unit and LOVE IT. So does my oil temperature. :seeya:

So I thought I was clear when I stated I added the K&N to help with the problem. Meaning I added the K&N after the fact. So the K&N cannot be the cause of the problem because the problem existed before that was even in the vehicle..

Forgive me if I came across as short. But I tried to be straight with that fact. As I deal daily with people blaming aftermarket parts for causing issues.

Grumpy bear. Thank you for your second point. That is the kind if information I was looking for to see if it was normal or abnormal for the temp to be that high.

I have a ScanGuage II in my Sierra. I can monitor engine and oil temp. I found the engine temp gauge is kind of a "dummy gauge". By that I mean it's not really that accurate and just floats around 210F. In the cold winter months, normal highway cruising (not towing) I see between 192-196F. Summer time closer to 202-206F. Summer time towing in 5th gear 210-215F. In all these situations, the engine temp gauge needle is pretty much in the exact same spot. As grumpy bear mentioned 207F is thermostat temp and normal.

10 hours ago, HagiborChayil said:

So I thought I was clear when I stated I added the K&N to help with the problem. Meaning I added the K&N after the fact. So the K&N cannot be the cause of the problem because the problem existed before that was even in the vehicle..

You were and I was being supportive. I assumed you had it installed correctly oiled. 

Your welcome on both points. 

4 minutes ago, gone_fishing said:

I have a ScanGuage II in my Sierra. I can monitor engine and oil temp. I found the engine temp gauge is kind of a "dummy gauge". By that I mean it's not really that accurate and just floats around 210F. In the cold winter months, normal highway cruising (not towing) I see between 192-196F. Summer time closer to 202-206F. Summer time towing in 5th gear 210-215F. In all these situations, the engine temp gauge needle is pretty much in the exact same spot. As grumpy bear mentioned 207F is thermostat temp and normal.

Yes it is. There is also an oil temperature PID for your Scan Gauge II. Oil temperature is the reason I installed the lower water temperature thermostat. The oil cooler is 'in' the radiator tank on 15 and up K2's. Was an option in 2014.

I never want to see my oil temperature above 212F/100C. On a hot summer day it was over 245F. Runs right about 200 F now. Little cooler in the winter like 190F Plenty warm.  Anyway....:seeya:

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Yes it is. There is also an oil temperature PID for your Scan Gauge II. Oil temperature is the reason I installed the lower water temperature thermostat. The oil cooler is 'in' the radiator tank on 15 and up K2's. Was an option in 2014.

I never want to see my oil temperature above 212F/100C. On a hot summer day it was over 245F. Runs right about 200 F now. Little cooler in the winter like 190F Plenty warm.  Anyway....:seeya:

Wow 245 is a lot warmer than I have ever seen my oil temps go. Not towing, I usually see oil at or 5F cooler then engine temp. Towing my 3000 lb boat on a 90F day I may see 215F.

4 hours ago, gone_fishing said:

Wow 245 is a lot warmer than I have ever seen my oil temps go. Not towing, I usually see oil at or 5F cooler then engine temp. Towing my 3000 lb boat on a 90F day I may see 215F.

That's interesting. Mine is normally, now, 20 F more that water temperature. I tow nothing and drive pretty slow I'm told. :rolleyes:

Archived