2015 GMC Sierra Radio / Media Glitch

Hi Everyone,

I could have sworn I already posted this, but I can't find it anywhere.  My 2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain SLT 1500 truck's media center seems is glitchy, it's either that or I have a haunted truck.  I'll be driving and my radio display and my odometer display will randomly start selecting items and cycling through the menu, it will randomly change stations, and one time it even selected voice command, all without any input. Anyway,  I've experienced this issue before and I took it to the dealer and while they told me they had never heard or seen the issue before they suggested that they would perform a software / firmware update on my infotainment / intellilink system to see if that would fix the issue and it worked.... for a few months, now it's back.  I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same thing and if they were able to find a permanent fix for it?  It is absolutely annoying and very distracting.  I have searched this forum and I haven't seen a post from a member that has the same thing that I have experienced.  Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to have a permanent fix for this once and for all.  I've include a video of what's going on. 

Lol, I was waiting for someone to comment on the fuel gauge, I was actually just pulling into the gas station at the end of that video.  

I thought it might be a short in the steering wheel too, but the steering wheel controls don't control items on the main display, only on the odometer display, also when I power off the radio, so that the main display shows only the clock, the issue goes away and nothing is affected, not even the odometer display.  

In the video you can see the dash and certain lights, go dim and bright, this only occurs in the video not in real life.  I thought it was just a resolution difference between my phone recording video and the displays in my truck, but the dimming stops half way through the video. 

I've also disconnected bluetooth, just in case it may have been some app on my phone that was taking over, but the issue is still there, so its definitely the truck. if I had to guess is the media centre itself.  What a piece of s**t, so frustrated with this right now, I'm honestly considering trading it in for something else.

I've been a loyal GM truck owner (this is my 5th truck in 14 years), but the fact that this is going on and other little annoyances with GM, such as their media technology being about 5-10 years behind everyone else is making me want to switch and try out another brand.

• 10 months later...

Yes I had to replace the entire touch screen unit. Its a faulty touchscreen.  I ended up buying a used one off ebay and installing it myself.  Just make sure you get the right unit, Chevy's have blue/green LED lighting and GMC's have red LED lighting. Ask your dealer for the proper part number. Or buy direct from the dealer.  In Canada the units are around $1000 (Canadian) I bought one off eBay for around $200 CDN shipped. Good Luck!!

• 11 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:05 PM, Roberto said:

Yes I had to replace the entire touch screen unit. Its a faulty touchscreen.  I ended up buying a used one off ebay and installing it myself.  Just make sure you get the right unit, Chevy's have blue/green LED lighting and GMC's have red LED lighting. Ask your dealer for the proper part number. Or buy direct from the dealer.  In Canada the units are around $1000 (Canadian) I bought one off eBay for around $200 CDN shipped. Good Luck!!

Roberto, It has been almost one year sense you replaced your touchscreen, have you had any problems sense then. I also have a 2015  2500 HD Chevy with the exact same issues, and I just wanted to know if I too need  to replace my touchscreen, and if I so should I  buy from ebay or OEM  Thank you Steve

I'm also interested in the status.

Mine does the same thing periodically.

Sometimes it may not do it for a month or more -but sometimes it may do it again within a week, but it always goes away when you shut it off and start it back up.  

Funny thing is that when it does this when I'm using navigation, the map and visual directions are wacked, but it still continues to give the right verbal directions.

So mine was doing this exact thing intermittently. I took my truck to the dealership for an oil change a while back and told them what it was doing. They looked and said that if it's not doing it at that time, they can't diagnose. They said swing in when it's doing it, and they will take a look at it. Today it started as I was driving past the dealership (got lucky, I guess). I stopped by, they took it in the back for 15 mins, came back out, said I needed a new radio, charged me $125+tax diagnostic fee, and gave me a quote for $820.81.

If anyone has any alternatives, I'm all ears.

Ouch!! That terrible  I Have a 2015 Silverado With the exact same issues and have read dozens of other forums who also are experiencing the same defect with their touchscreens. I guess I should report it to a   Chevrolet dealership so it can be documented and maybe find it’s way to a GM Electrical engineer who can look a little closer into this large scale problem they have and the process of creating a recall or something, as you are all aware this is very distracting while driving as the screen and dash changes on its own dropping outa day or activating On Star,  GPS navigation, speedo, and randomly changing radio stations all of which are very distracting to the operator. One might think GM would be a little more concerned about this issue, as it is just a matter of time that a driver becomes distracted while operating the vehicle and causes a accident. Any suggestions, or recommendations are welcome. Duckmaster 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would give an update in case anyone is following this thread. I paid the $800+ for the new radio, within a day the symptoms showed back up. I took it back by the dealership and told them what was going on. After they looked at it again, they came back and said that I needed a new touch screen, but they weren't going to charge me labor, so it was only $535. At that point I almost made a fool of myself. After I collected my thoughts, I reminded them that I had specifically asked about that when they said I needed a radio but I was told it was all one unit and that's why it's so expensive. She said she remembered that and it was her mistake, they aren't the same and that tech support told them what to replace. Tech support told them the radio, and they go by that. Now they say replace the touch screen. Long story short, I am supposed to have the screen replaced sometime this week and they are covering the cost of the screen. I sincerely regret not taking it to a local audio shop and had the whole thing replaced with a nicer aftermarket system for $850 and been done with it.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

you folks are all correct with the problems your having.   Chevy/GM 's  answer to a truck wide problem is to charge the customer for a new radio.  This is a class action lawsuit or recall if there ever was one.    Chevy knows there is a truck wide multi year problem (like ford and takata air bags), but until a lawsuit or the government (thats not gonna happen) get involved we will be pushed into purchasing items to fix their (GM's) failures.    I reported my 2015 silverado have all the problems you folks have described while the vehicle was under warranty.   The dealership said (per usual) they couldnt find any problems.   Upon the vehicle reaching end of warranty, they said I have to pay for a new radio as they now figured out what the problem is.  Very convenient isnt it.     

I have spoken to several people who have had the same problems (especially the "it happens more when its wet or raining) and they have said the problem is a bad or loose ground wire..   I do not know if that will fix anyones particular situation, but they have said the repair has fixed their problems.     

Also, just paid the truck off   GM  SENT ME A LETTER TELLING ME THEY NO LONGER SEND THE TITLE TO THE VEHICLE, I HAVE TO CONTACT THE STATE AND PURCHASE MY OWN TITLE.       WITH THAT I NOW WILL BUY ANYTHING OTHER THAT A CHEVY,     GOOD LUCK

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply on this, I haven't been on this forum for quite some time.  To answer some of you on how I have made out since I replaced the screen, I've had no issues since.  I will note that when I purchased the used screen off ebay I believe I ended up getting a 2014 model screen, and it was definitely out of a Silverado as the lights were green/blue.  I did some tinkering and swapped the led lights and climate controls from my Sierra to get the red lighting back, it wasn't hard, but if you're looking for the exact part you need, contact your dealer for the exact part number to save you the hassle.  Also with the older model screen the 2 led's by the CD slot are now always on (instead of being only on once theres a CD in there), I didn't like that at first but I don't even notice it now.   That being said if I had used a 2015 screen I do wonder if I would have ended up experiencing the same issues.  Hopefully this helps.  All the best!