Front Differential 2006 Z71

Good morning,

I have searched around and can not find any info on this... looking to change my front diff oil... issue is I have found for my front end it holds 1.5 quarts. I am looking at the AC Delco fluid... and it comes in a 23 oz bottle.... well times 2 that is 46 ounces which is 1.4375 quarts. 

ACDelco 10-4051

So are people just dumping in 2 bottles of the oil and sending it... or purchasing a third bottle for a small top off?

Thanks! 

Why go with the AC Delco fluid?  Your front diff has a drain and fill plug. Just drain it out, and fill back up until the fluid starts to run back out of the fill plug.  Done!  AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w-90 will serve you well.  2 qts will fill the bill.    Five qts will do both front and back diffs.

Yeah I already changed the rear diff when I first got it... looked original hahahah. 

And yeah I know its a drain and fill to plug.... just wasnt sure if anyone had added 2 of the GM fluid containers and been enough LOL.

I figure not to spend the money on the better oil... because the front diff is not used much.... I can get the GM fluid for pretty cheap.... or also the regular valvoline. The rear diff I did synthetic. 

From the 2004 owners manual, but 2006 likely the same:

For Front diff:

To get an accurate reading, the vehicle should be on a level surface.
If the level is below the bottom of the filler plug hole, you may need to add some lubricant.

When the differential is cold, add enough lubricant to raise the level to 0 to 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) below the filler plug hole. 

When the differential is at operating temperature (warm), add enough lubricant to raise the level to the bottom of the filler plug hole. 

Kinda depends if it's a cold drain and fill or a warm check. 

And for the rear: 

The proper level for the 1500 Series is from 5/8 inch to 1 5/8 inch (15 mm to 40 mm) below the bottom of the filler plug hole.

The proper level for the 1500 HD Series, 2500 Series, 2500 HD, and 3500 Series is from 0 to 1/2 inch (0 to 13 mm) below the bottom of the filler plug hole.

The proper level for the 1500 and 2500 Series vehicles with QUADRASTEER™ (4 Wheel Steer) is from 0 to 1/4 inch (0 to 6 mm) below the filler plug hole. 

Add only enough fluid to reach the proper level.

2 hours ago, redwngr said:

From the 2004 owners manual, but 2006 likely the same:

For Front diff:

To get an accurate reading, the vehicle should be on a level surface.
If the level is below the bottom of the filler plug hole, you may need to add some lubricant.

When the differential is cold, add enough lubricant to raise the level to 0 to 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) below the filler plug hole. 

When the differential is at operating temperature (warm), add enough lubricant to raise the level to the bottom of the filler plug hole. 

Kinda depends if it's a cold drain and fill or a warm check. 

And for the rear: 

The proper level for the 1500 Series is from 5/8 inch to 1 5/8 inch (15 mm to 40 mm) below the bottom of the filler plug hole.

The proper level for the 1500 HD Series, 2500 Series, 2500 HD, and 3500 Series is from 0 to 1/2 inch (0 to 13 mm) below the bottom of the filler plug hole.

The proper level for the 1500 and 2500 Series vehicles with QUADRASTEER™ (4 Wheel Steer) is from 0 to 1/4 inch (0 to 6 mm) below the filler plug hole. 

Add only enough fluid to reach the proper level.

Thank you very much! 

On 2/19/2018 at 10:38 AM, AlljackedupZ71 said:

Good morning,

I have searched around and can not find any info on this... looking to change my front diff oil... issue is I have found for my front end it holds 1.5 quarts. I am looking at the AC Delco fluid... and it comes in a 23 oz bottle.... well times 2 that is 46 ounces which is 1.4375 quarts. 

ACDelco 10-4051

So are people just dumping in 2 bottles of the oil and sending it... or purchasing a third bottle for a small top off?

Thanks! 

Personally I like the 75/90

Here is the one I use and 2 will fill you up no problems.

ACDelco 10-4016 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Gear Oil - 32 oz

http://amzn.to/2omhGIu

Archived