Mods, Lift Kits, Etc...

So I have a bit of a rhetorical question. Those of you who've modified your trucks, (installing lift kits, CAI's, tuning, etc...) have you ever had any issues when taking it to the dealership in regards to warranty work? Of course they wouldn't and can't warranty any aftermarket parts but have any of you ran into a situation where the service department or dealership tried to give you flack for modifying or installing aftermarket parts? This has not happened to me I've just been reading up on our rights as consumers, Auto Warranties (FTC). I know it's a bit late to be worrying about this now after I've had my truck lifted but I've had this thought in the back of my mind wondering what the dealership might have to say if/ when I ever have to bring my Silverado in for any warranty work or even for the oil changes/ tire rotations, etc... What do you guys have to say on this topic?

im sure there is a specific procedure the the dealers are required to follow when vehicles are modified, but in my experience it depends on the dealer. I have a local dealer that I have never actually bought anything from do 2 warranty repairs on my deleted duramax. they told me as long as the issue is not related to the modifications they would take care of it. the issues that were resolved were a oil pan gasket that was leaky and a non working power seat within the 36k mile warranty

They will still do warranty repairs on most of the truck. But any failures that were directly caused by your mods could be denied coverage. There is no hard rule on this, but basically I would guess any front end suspension and alignment issues will not be covered after installing lifts/ leveling kits.

I had a discussion when I bought mine new, knowing I would be using it to plow my property. Putting the plow on does not void my truck warranty, but its on me if anything goes to crap due to the extra abuse. I specifically asked them about it because I knew what I wanted to do when I bought it. They made a note somewhere on my warranty that I was not doing commercial work with it. That should help me if I end up with any routine service, But I'm going in knowing that it might still be on my dime.

Short story, I could see them refusing to replace my transmission or fix front axle components for free, but I'm still fully covered (6 more months) for body, engine, electronics, interior, etc.

I have a 3” coilover lift with a diff drop, but no correction for tie rod angle. My dealer replaced one for me when the boot tore, no questions asked. But I also paid them a premium over another mechanic to install the lift for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived