OnStar vcim with Bluetooth

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum.  I want to add Bluetooth to my 2008 Chevy Avalanche ltz. My Avy has OnStar and factory navigation, rear entertainment, and xm radio.  I want to add Bluetooth by swapping out my existing OnStar VCIM with one that has Bluetooth. Can anyone tell me if this is doable and if it will work. Please advise. Thank You. 

PER GM

At this time, there are no provisions to add this option to vehicles that were not built with it. This feature is ONLY available on vehicles built with RPO UPF or UWE, or it is offered within certain equipment option groups (i.e. LTZ or SLE type package).

Technical Assistance, PARTECH and Techline Customer Support Centers are unable to provide assistance - as it is technically NOT feasible to add this option.

I did it in my 07 Silverado LTZ years ago.

I bought a used vcim off ebay and the Bluetooth worked great.

I don't think it was even available in the trucks until 08.

The problem you'll have is with OnStar, if you're subscribed to it.

I think my light turned from green to red after installing the new vicm.

I never subscribed to OnStar so I didn't really care.

Edited by SIERRA/T

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2018 at 12:12 AM, SIERRA/T said:

I did it in my 07 Silverado LTZ years ago.

I bought a used vcim off ebay and the Bluetooth worked great.

I don't think it was even available in the trucks until 08.

The problem you'll have is with OnStar, if you're subscribed to it.

I think my light turned from green to red after installing the new vicm.

I never subscribed to OnStar so I didn't really care.

Do you have a part number or know what VCIM I need to buy? I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L (New Body) that has Onstar with steering wheel controls, overhead mic that does not have phone Bluetooth. I've been searching the net for a definitive answer before purchasing anything. I'd like to add phone Bluetooth to if possible that operates like a factory set-up. I'm wondering if all I need to do is switch the VCIM MODULE ? 

29 minutes ago, Ru'afo said:

Do you have a part number or know what VCIM I need to buy? I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L (New Body) that has Onstar with steering wheel controls, overhead mic that does not have phone Bluetooth. I've been searching the net for a definitive answer before purchasing anything. I'd like to add phone Bluetooth to if possible that operates like a factory set-up. I'm wondering if all I need to do is switch the VCIM MODULE ? 

It's been so long, I don't have the number I used.

I believe there are various part numbers that will work.

I just did a quick Google search of "2007 silverado vcim Bluetooth" and the first result should be helpful to you.

20827036 is a part number of one for sale on eBay right now and the seller points out that he tested it in an 07 Silverado.

If you're subscribed to OnStar, you'll have to have the dealer program it to your vehicle.

If not, don't worry about it.

Also, it doesn't work exactly like the original ones from the factory.

You need to say an extra prompt or two.

Nothing major, just something to keep in mind.

Lastly, if you do buy one, make sure it has the Bluetooth antenna that plugs into the back.

Good luck.

8 hours ago, Ru'afo said:

Thx, your help is greatly appreciated!. I found one who tested one in a 07 Silverado but the part number doesn't match the one you provided. If you had the link that would be great! Thx again.

Just copy and paste the part number in my previous post.