Look at 2014 Silverado (SCARED)

crepitus

So its been a while since I have visited here.  I currently have a 2008 Sierra xcab which I really love despite its rust.  Do to a growing family I am looking at a 2014 Silverado crew cab that a friend is selling with 65k miles.  After reading all the posts about vibrations and transmissions issues I think I may be better off waiting for the new 2019 model.  What do I need to look for with this 2014?  Are only a small group affected with the issues?  At this point with it having 65k miles on it if its not shaking can it develop or am I safe.  If it covered under the 100k powertrain warranty?  Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have 61,509 on my 15 DCSB SIlverado Z71, got him new qith 27 miles, and have had no issues at all. I second the small percentage having issues. 

Go test drive the truck. If you like it, buy it. If you think there's an issue, don't. 

57 minutes ago, crepitus said:

So its been a while since I have visited here.  I currently have a 2008 Sierra xcab which I really love despite its rust.  Do to a growing family I am looking at a 2014 Silverado crew cab that a friend is selling with 65k miles.  After reading all the posts about vibrations and transmissions issues I think I may be better off waiting for the new 2019 model.  What do I need to look for with this 2014?  Are only a small group affected with the issues?  At this point with it having 65k miles on it if its not shaking can it develop or am I safe.  If it covered under the 100k powertrain warranty?  Thanks in advance for the advice.

2 kinds of shake issues

the mysterious unsolvable one that comes from the assembly line

and

one that developes after the fact is like any car can

so just take it on the highway to the fastest speed you would drive at and make sure it doesn’t shake at any speed

36 minutes ago, Buckshot556 said:

Check the frame as the 14's and 15's had issues with the wax coating falling off in sheets and exposing bare steel.

your 10 year old truck is already rusting? I'm assuming above the wheel wells?  

I will check the frame.  Yes above my wheel wells.  I had the driver side fixed last summer and when the baked the paint it caused the passenger side to start.  Oh and the frame looks worse then my 25 yo Jeep.  

If you only go by what you read on forums, you may never buy another vehicle.  People come to forums to get help with problems.  Most people who own any particular vehicle will never visit a forum.  Take what you read with a grain of salt and use the info you find to help you check out the truck.  Don't expect every thing you read to show up on every truck.  Fact is, most are fine.  Although, I would bet few are perfect. It's up to you to check out the particular truck and see if whatever ails it is something you can fix or live with.

My 2017 is 8 months old now with 13K miles. I've never had any shake or any wonky transmission issues (5.3 - 6 speed).

No problems at all so far (knock on wood).  Only one recall, and that was for missing pages in the owner's manual.

You need to take a good test drive in any truck you're thinking about buying.  I agree that only a small percentage have the reported issues. 

Hey, If you can afford the 2019, you might as well wait. Or even grab and 18 when they start blowing them out in prep for the 19's in a few months. I would think the difference in the price between a used 2014 and a new 2019 are in different universes. 

4 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

My 2017 is 8 months old now with 13K miles. I've never had any shake or any wonky transmission issues (5.3 - 6 speed).

No problems at all so far (knock on wood).  Only one recall, and that was for missing pages in the owner's manual.

You need to take a good test drive in any truck you're thinking about buying.  I agree that only a small percentage have the reported issues. 

Hey, If you can afford the 2019, you might as well wait. Or even grab and 18 when they start blowing them out in prep for the 19's in a few months. I would think the difference in the price between a used 2014 and a new 2019 are in different universes. 

Its a family friend selling it so I am getting a deal on it and have someone interested in my 08.  We will see if it works out.

3 hours ago, Buckshot556 said:

Check the frame as the 14's and 15's had issues with the wax coating falling off in sheets and exposing bare steel.

your 10 year old truck is already rusting? I'm assuming above the wheel wells?  

Huh, seriously? :rolleyes:

OP there is no problems with vibrating or oil consumption or valve failures or frame wax falling off outside of a select few who try to make a mountain out of a mole hill with a few that have a problem. Test drive the truck, if you like it and the price works by all means do it, they are great trucks and will last. Numerous trucks already have well over 100k+ without issues...

Tyler

I would steer you away from buying the '19 when it's released if you plan on keeping it a while. My general understanding is that any new generation of vehicles will have more issues during the first few years before they iron that stuff out. Additionally with this being a totally new truck from the frame up since the original Silverado I'd make sure you give them time to work the quirks out. Have full faith they will, and if you're looking at leasing or turn around quickly it's probably fine to buy first year of new gen.

5 hours ago, crepitus said:

After reading all the posts about vibrations and transmissions issues I think I may be better off waiting for the new 2019 model.  Are only a small group affected with the issues? 

If the current owner doesn't notice any vibrations, you probly won't either. The key is to test drive at the max speed you will ever drive on the freeway. Most people say it only occurs over 70mph, but you may or may not spend much time above that speed. Its a truck, not a race car.

Also, there are a maybe few hundred people complaining about shakes on this forum. Adding up the Bowtie and GMC models since 2014, there are a few million trucks on the road. You do the math.

I wouldn't hesitate to go for your deal if you are getting a good price from a friend. Plus you know how they treated it.

2 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Huh, seriously? :rolleyes:

OP there is no problems with vibrating or oil consumption or valve failures or frame wax falling off outside of a select few who try to make a mountain out of a mole hill with a few that have a problem. Test drive the truck, if you like it and the price works by all means do it, they are great trucks and will last. Numerous trucks already have well over 100k+ without issues...

Tyler

Yeah probably like 50% of trucks have one of those problems

Archived