Transmission Thermostat?

Hey guys don’t post a lot but have a question about the transmission thermostat. I live in northern Maine and I plow my dooryard with my 2016 Chevy 1500 crew. I have noticed on warmer days plowing my transmission temp reaches 230 or so but I have never seen a warning light. I always let it cool back to 190 when I am done, but was wondering if bypassing the thermostat would help it run cooler. It doesn’t run that high that long but for the long haul would it be better to bypass it. Didn’t know if running it that hot would harm it. Also it is still under warranty so should I wait to do it. Thanks

bryan 

12 minutes ago, MaineChevy said:

Hey guys don’t post a lot but have a question about the transmission thermostat. I live in northern Maine and I plow my dooryard with my 2016 Chevy 1500 crew. I have noticed on warmer days plowing my transmission temp reaches 230 or so but I have never seen a warning light. I always let it cool back to 190 when I am done, but was wondering if bypassing the thermostat would help it run cooler. It doesn’t run that high that long but for the long haul would it be better to bypass it. Didn’t know if running it that hot would harm it. Also it is still under warranty so should I wait to do it. Thanks

bryan 

I don't think there is a transmission thermostat. Just a temperature sensor. 

The 1500 trucks do have a "thermostat" if you will, its a cooler bypass.  Bolts to the side of the transmission and the cooler lines connect to it.  Once it reaches the designated operating temperature of the transmission, the cooler bypass opens up and begins to cool the transmission fluid. 

When you see the temps rise to 230, is that driving down the road?  Or is that when actually plowing?  While driving with the blade, do you keep it straight, or angled?  What type of plow do you have?

It does have a thermostat. It's set point is 190F. It is located above the transmission pan rail, passenger side front corner. The cooler lines go first to the radiator tank then to the top few rows of the AC condenser then back. Bypassing the thermostat will not help. The problem your having is related to air flow. Plowing your never traveling fast enough to move any air over the second cooler when your working it the hardest; and  the plow itself hinders air flow.  

It's hard to add an aux fan the cooler due to its layout but you could add an additional cooler with fan such as a Hayden. You can install a lower water temperature thermostat such as a Jet or there are top hose cut in kits that permit use of the old SBC 54 mm thermostat. As the transmissions first cooler is the radiator tank its almost a degree per degree exchange. I have a photo of one in my build thread that a fairly resent posting. Last few pages somewhere. 

This isn't 'law' just my personal preference. I don't like to see my lubricating fluids above 200 F for any reason ever. 180-200 F is plenty warm even for motor oil. 

Lastly, as Diyer2 makes not change more frequently. His 25K interval is just good old common sense even for trucks the never see a plow or a heavy trailer. A simple drop and fill/filter is 6 quarts. Use a good full synthetic. Red Line, Mobil 1, Valvoline in order are my personal choices. :seeya:

Thanks for the replies guys, I see those temps while plowing. I have a 7.5 fisher that I angle while I travel and temps are fine while traveling. I do like the idea of adding a cooler. I read a post about someone adding an external filter, maybe I could do that with an extra cooler. I think adding a drain plug to the pan and an external filter would make servicing it a lot easier 

18 minutes ago, MaineChevy said:

Thanks for the replies guys, I see those temps while plowing. I have a 7.5 fisher that I angle while I travel and temps are fine while traveling. I do like the idea of adding a cooler. I read a post about someone adding an external filter, maybe I could do that with an extra cooler. I think adding a drain plug to the pan and an external filter would make servicing it a lot easier 

Warning comes on at 270-275 range. 

Archived