2017 Sierra Denali rear window EXPLODED!!!

Good evening! Sadly this is my first post on this forum but I have lurked a bit. I own a 2017 Sierra Denali which I bought in May of 2017. I was driving today and after using my remote start to start the truck (like i do often) I drove 5 minutes and then smelled smoke. I turned around and saw smoke pouring out from behind the rear seat on the driver side. I began to freak out and pulled over to get out but about 10 seconds after I saw the smoke and began to pull over I heard a loud bang like a gunshot. I turned around and my rear driver window shattered into thousands of pieces. It stayed in place but shot a decent amount of glass inside and outside of the vehicle. I am dropping the truck off at the dealership in the morning to have this diagnosed and this is clearly something that should not of happened. I only think what would of happened if I had kids or people in the back of the truck when this took place. Very disappointed right now and want this taken care of, but figured I needed to post this on here to inform all of you about this issue. I have researched this happening and it is a common thing on some Ford f150s but I havent seen to much about GMC.20180221_155246.thumb.jpg.879f22a74290ed4f0e03ff15da7b4ffd.jpg

eh not so troubling given how much electronics and crap are in vehicles now a days.  I'll be interested to hear what they say.  Rear defroster on that side going kablooey is my guess.

Many years ago I had this happen to the back seat side window of a 1979 Ford Super Cab. I drove up in front of my business, with the window facing the west. I was out of the truck about 45 seconds to a minute at most. I heard the pop of the glass and when I got back to the truck the glass was so hot it was smoking. I figured that the sun was at just the right angle, glass had just the right contour that made it act like a magnifying glass and it shattered from heat build up.

• Like 1

Good evening! Sadly this is my first post on this forum but I have lurked a bit. I own a 2017 Sierra Denali which I bought in May of 2017. I was driving today and after using my remote start to start the truck (like i do often) I drove 5 minutes and then smelled smoke. I turned around and saw smoke pouring out from behind the rear seat on the driver side. I began to freak out and pulled over to get out but about 10 seconds after I saw the smoke and began to pull over I heard a loud bang like a gunshot. I turned around and my rear driver window shattered into thousands of pieces. It stayed in place but shot a decent amount of glass inside and outside of the vehicle. I am dropping the truck off at the dealership in the morning to have this diagnosed and this is clearly something that should not of happened. I only think what would of happened if I had kids or people in the back of the truck when this took place. Very disappointed right now and want this taken care of, but figured I needed to post this on here to inform all of you about this issue. I have researched this happening and it is a common thing on some Ford f150s but I havent seen to much about GMC.20180221_155246.thumb.jpg.879f22a74290ed4f0e03ff15da7b4ffd.jpg
Yet again a sad story hallowed by the customer handling it wrong. Please I beg you call the gm service rep first get a approved service ticket. Then and only then move forward.
But anyways I know know you are enjoying you free Denali and the free money...Oh wait no... ok good luck...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Yet again a sad story hallowed by the customer handling it wrong. Please I beg you call the gm service rep first get a approved service ticket. Then and only then move forward.
But anyways I know know you are enjoying you free Denali and the free money...Oh wait no... ok good luck...

Your post makes absolutely no sense. It's already set up for me at the dealer tomorrow morning. 

• Like 6

Your post makes absolutely no sense. It's already set up for me at the dealer tomorrow morning. 
Ok but please understand a dealer worker in their best interest and Always less than the Best you can get. FACT is you can get a free loaner truck and full repair. But the way you did it already you passed that up. I understand I sound like a ass hole but really I just hate the hustle of gm paid dealer service after fact. These truck are expensive and the customer deserves better and. Would have it based on federal law,warranty,and customer service laws. But please post how it goes and what they offer. Or pm me the vin and I can see it in real time. Best wishes.

• Like 1

My moms CRV did this a couple years ago as she was backing up in her driveway. The place that replaced it told her that they replace rear and side glass in several vehicles weekly that randomly exploded while driving. Guy said all makes and models he blamed it on the vehicle flexing and putting pressure on the glass. Doubt that’s what happened here but that was the first time I’d ever heard that one.

Ok but please understand a dealer worker in their best interest and Always less than the Best you can get. FACT is you can get a free loaner truck and full repair. But the way you did it already you passed that up. I understand I sound like a ass hole but really I just hate the hustle of gm paid dealer service after fact. These truck are expensive and the customer deserves better and. Would have it based on federal law,warranty,and customer service laws. But please post how it goes and what they offer. Or pm me the vin and I can see it in real time. Best wishes.

Yeah, just send your VIN to some random on the internet. That should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

It happened to me about 25 years ago.   Toyota Cressida.  Parked in the carport.   I was pitching golf balls with a wedge from one section of my yard to another.   I mis-hit one I cranked.  Bottom left corner.  It was spectacular. Took almost 10 minutes to finally collapse in to the rear deck.   Enough time to go in and get a towel to catch most of it....

idiot.  

• Haha 1

Unlikely but the smoke and shatter could be separate issues.  Left side windows are susceptible to debris being thrown up from passing motorists.  I once had my driver's window blown out on my '86  Suburban at highway speed.  I was having glass picked out of my ear that night!