2017 Chevy Silverado Earns Just 1/5 In Owner-Reported Reliability - How Does That Compare to Ram and F-150?

Gorehamj

silverado high desert 17 front 34.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

2-22-2018

As colleagues of some of the present past Consumer Reports (CR) staff, we at GM-Trucks.com recognize the group has a tough mission. They need to account for, and then dispassionately report on reliability data on almost every U.S. model and then also predict the upcoming reliability on models for which quality and reliability survey data have not yet been produced. When it comes to the 2017 Silverado, CR's actual reliability score seems to be incorrect or unfair at a quick glance. Here’s why the model earned just a one out of five for reliability.

CR's quality ratings are not derived from editors' opinions, from staff writers' feelings, or from outside sources like other agencies. They come straight from you, owners of Silverados who answer the same survey given to owners of other trucks in the same segment. This is key. The overall ratings of a given model year vehicle are relative and the facts come from owners, not the opinions of writers.

Digging deeper into the data on the 2017 model year truck, we looked at every individual category in which the 2017 Silverado was rated. Oddly, in almost every category, the Silverado is rated 5/5, earning the green coloration in its reliability section (familiar to those like me who grew up scanning the pages of the print edition). Engine Major, Engine Minor, Transmission Major, Fuel Systems, Brakes, Suspension, Body Hardware, Climate System, Paint, Electrical, all 5/5, the highest possible score. In fact, in the full expanded chart showing every category for which the Silverado was rated, it never scored below a 2 on any individual section. Yet, the Silverado is rated just 1/5 for reliability. And it is not a mistake.

The reason is that for 2017 model year vehicles, excellence is the expectation and most models meet it. Although there were over a half-million Silverados produced, so too were over three-quarters of a million F-150s made, 400K Camrys etc. For the Silverado to already have a 2/5 on a certain area, and less than a 5/5 in three other areas, is so far outside of the norm, it is ranked just 1/5 for reliability overall. It seems odd, but taken in the context of what should be expected after just one year in population (or in use, if you prefer), the 2017 Silverado should not have these many issues in these quantities. It thus earns a 1/5 even though on any given individual area, it never scored below a 2/5. To say it one last way, the overall ranking is not a summation or average of the model’s score on the 17 trouble areas Consumer Reports shows individual scores for.

How did we come to know this about the CR rankings? First, we e-mailed the group using the public contact info. We were then passed along to a person who was able to better understand what we were getting at (we assumed the overall score was a mistake). That contact e-mailed us back and also called us back the same day we asked for clarity. After a short chat, we the CR person handed the phone to Jake Fisher at CR, who is the group’s Director of Auto Testing. He took as much time as needed to explain the way the group scores vehicles based on the owner survey data. Interestingly, he also asked for input on the way the way we see the info and how we thought it might be improved. The process evolves, and input is given consideration.

The upshot of the exercise is that the most recent Silverado has some quality issues. The biggest is “Transmission Minor.” Under that category, CR includes “Gear selector or linkage, leaks, transmission computer, transmission sensor or solenoid, clutch adjustment, rough shifting, slipping transmission.” To a lesser degree, the Silverado has some issues with “Drive System,” Power Equipment,” and “In-Vehicle Electronics.”

After we put some time into analyzing the Consumer Reports reliability rankings and rating system a few things became clear. The group needs to do a better job of explaining to members (CR readers can only get this information with a paid subscription) how the overall score is arrived at, and they are working towards that. More importantly for our GM-Trucks.com membership, the Silverado is being scored lower than one might assume on surveys of actual Silverado owners. Would you agree or disagree that the truck should earn the lowest reliability rating possible?  Are you surprised, or not by this information? We will leave you with one last bit of info. The Ram 1500 earned a 5/5 reliability rating in 2017 and the Ford F-150 earned a 2/5.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite possibly the rating is appropriate. The transmission and V4 engine mismatch in tuning, and the dealer responses reported on this forum has seriously kept me from buying a new 2018 so far and keeping my perfectly running 1999. Seriously. I am surprised dealer and GM response is inadequate

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

I've been a die hard GM my whole life. I finally bought what I had always seen to be the best truck. I had bought used GM trucks prior to this, but finally bought my first NEW Silverado... The 2017. Overall, the truck itself has been good. Dealing with GM over what is really a small suspension issue has completely soured me. I, now, don't really like the way they look. It's bad.. I am really confused as to how the small issue has made me dislike the truck as a whole when I haven't had any other real complaints. 

GM has failed to respond to me or the BBB in their allotted time after a final repair attempt failed and the BBB is scheduling the arbitration right now.

My neighbor has a 14 and 16 both half tons.  He loves the 14 and is trying to get rid of the 16 with the 8 speed that has been a nightmare. Dealer tells him it's normal. I have a 2500hd ordered and will be checking it VERY CLOSELY when it shows up. Hopefully with the old tried and true drive train, I will be ok.

5 minutes ago, triplexbullies said:

What's up with the transmission? I've had some concerns with my transimission and the V4 but it's hard to say whether or not they are working as designed or not.

If you think it's ok, quit looking and reading about it.  

48 minutes ago, triplexbullies said:

Quit looking???? If I think it's ok??? I said "I have some concerns." And you take it as I think it's ok?

'preciate it.

I don't want to put things in your head.  You could also describe "I have some concerns"  What exactly is your problem and have you taken it to the dealer?

Today, I had a guy tell me he liked my truck and that he was looking at a new Silverado similar to it. He then proceeded to tell me how CR rated the GM trucks at 20% reliability and how the Ford and Toyota were the most reliable trucks. He was driving a 2000 GMC with 120k mi and complained about having to replace the rear brake rotors. It’s people like that who rate a vehicle as unreliable because their brakes only lasted 17 yrs or their license plate bulb burned out. 

22 hours ago, nowicksl said:

Quite possibly the rating is appropriate. The transmission and V4 engine mismatch in tuning, and the dealer responses reported on this forum has seriously kept me from buying a new 2018 so far and keeping my perfectly running 1999. Seriously. I am surprised dealer and GM response is inadequate

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

:rolleyes: There is nothing wrong with tuning between the transmission and DoD. In 99.9% of the trucks you don't even notice the switch between modes. The transmission shifts early for mpg, just because it doesn't shift the way you want it to doesn't mean it is tuned wrong, that is how they set it up. There are some that have issue but those are pretty far and between in relation to the actual amount of trucks produced. Spreading false info never looks good for either side btw...

Tyler

I’ve noticed in the two brands I spend time in, GM and Ram. There’s too much going on not to notice. The average point a to b driver may not notice but enthusiasts will. Not false info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, HoosierZ said:

Today, I had a guy tell me he liked my truck and that he was looking at a new Silverado similar to it. He then proceeded to tell me how CR rated the GM trucks at 20% reliability and how the Ford and Toyota were the most reliable trucks. He was driving a 2000 GMC with 120k mi and complained about having to replace the rear brake rotors. It’s people like that who rate a vehicle as unreliable because their brakes only lasted 17 yrs or their license plate bulb burned out. 

This for sure.

Then add the guy who abuses a truck and complains.

:)

A thousand people offer a 'review' of anything. They have no expertise just a 'like button'. Excuse me, how is that objective?

Guy writes a review on a tire. Worst tire ever made. Wore out in 5K miles. Post a picture as an offer of proof. Tire is cupped and worn to the cords on one edge. :loser:  Without the photo it has a different effect on other 'like minded'.....people. 

Reviews based on a survey? Fur on a billiard ball is more useful. :thumbs:

Archived