2017 Chevy Silverado Earns Just 1/5 In Owner-Reported Reliability - How Does That Compare to Ram and F-150?

Gorehamj

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive got a 2017 hd gas and I hate the way the transmission shifts. with no load , it downshifts on every little hill. with the cruise on sometimes two gears. that's empty. I thought driving is supposed to be enjoyable.  then why do you have to listen to it shifting all of the time, especially when it goes two gears. when its loaded and you make it pull hard, it searches for the right gear. it starts jumping around and cant make up its mind on what gear it should be in. drives me crazy listening to it. tow mode helps but sometimes it still searches for the right gear . and manual mode isn't manual at all. it only selects the top gear, still downshifts and still searches. not pleasant to drive in the mountains. then gm wonders why they get low ratings. I heard on ford trucks that there is a true manual mode. whats wrong with gm?

I worked in QA, R&D, Vehicle Safety, Rough Road & Durability, and Acceleration Sled Testing for 23 years before medical problems forced me to retire, and I never saw anything take more abuse than a '92-93 Toyota 4 Runner. Next to that everything is a sissy.

This was tested on the same track, in Wisconsin that developed the Original Jeeps. Not the soccer mom Jeep, the let's go to war and kill people Jeep. No Lie: 100,000 real miles 0 failures. These roads would kill any lesser vehicle. Including my Sierra. Why do I drive a Sierra? Honestly, it's the least junky pile of junk rolling out of a factory that fills my needs. Yours may vary.

One of the last things I had to do before my career met it's untimely end was diagnose field failures. The reason the company paid 6 people on two shifts to rip apart junk was they had a sneaking suspicion that the folks who filled out those surveys may have been in some cases less than forthcoming. Sometimes liability issues or warranty issues were in play.

Shock of all shocks, as is turns out, people do lie or don't know what's going on and were returning stuff that worked just fine. In all those 6 folks saved millions per year. Just in QC, I stopped a possible 12 million dollar debacle. All it takes is one thing to slip through the cracks. 

Now when it becomes a pattern, then it's more of a corporate culture than a oops.

There are many brand loyalists out there of many stripes, some more well grounded than others. However, keep in mind that  no matter how hard the QC guys fight, they almost always lose to "cost down engineering" or "value stream engineering", or my least favorite: LEAN Engineering and Manufacturing. These terms seem to mean different things to CEO's than Quality Engineers. In none of the aforementioned cases is it implied that you design and build to a price point. That can be and often is, a disaster. It's just meant to take a look at everything you do and ask, why are

we doing this, and will we get value from it? or "is there a better way to do this that will free up value and improve the product?"

So that part that failed on you might be because supplier b came in lower than supplier a. Even though QC warned that part b was junk.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:15 PM, HoosierZ said:

Today, I had a guy tell me he liked my truck and that he was looking at a new Silverado similar to it. He then proceeded to tell me how CR rated the GM trucks at 20% reliability and how the Ford and Toyota were the most reliable trucks. He was driving a 2000 GMC with 120k mi and complained about having to replace the rear brake rotors. It’s people like that who rate a vehicle as unreliable because their brakes only lasted 17 yrs or their license plate bulb burned out. 

So how does Ford and Toyota get higher reliability ratings?  Do they have brakes that last longer than 17yrs and license plate bulbs that never burn out?  Because if so, that's the truck I want!

Or are Silverado owners just bigger complainers than Ford and Toyota owners?

I mean, if Silverado owners are rating their trucks less favorably than Ford and Toyota owners, then the difference has to either be the trucks or the owners.

Ha! Consumer Reports.....I quit reading them 20 years ago when they constantly ranked Japanese vehicles #1, & US made as junk. I've always said that Toyota owns the publishing company, they are so BIASED!

On 2/23/2018 at 10:17 AM, amxguy1970 said:

:rolleyes: There is nothing wrong with tuning between the transmission and DoD. In 99.9% of the trucks you don't even notice the switch between modes. The transmission shifts early for mpg, just because it doesn't shift the way you want it to doesn't mean it is tuned wrong, that is how they set it up. There are some that have issue but those are pretty far and between in relation to the actual amount of trucks produced. Spreading false info never looks good for either side btw...

Tyler

then why is there a TSB regarding chuggle on the 5.3l when paired with the 6 speed tranny? I ABSOLUTELY had a problem with my shifting pattern. The TSB mostly fixed the problem (but it was definitely there).

I like my 2013 GMC and the only thing that kind of annoys me but I can live with is the infamous transmission clunk.  They say it doesn't hurt 

anything but it is still annoying.  I get CR and don't pay that much attention to their ratings.  They seem to favor the foreign cars and trucks the most.

37 minutes ago, Rob Okray said:

I want 400 hp, 40 mpg, and trans that can pull my 50 ft camper and haul 2 tons of firewood up a 20% grade. But it better not make me spill my $10 mocha java iced coffee when it shifts.:P

I get it where you're coming from.

But why does a modern transmission have to be clunky? It wasn't like this 20 years ago.

TH350 - 400 or TH700, you name it where all shifting smooth as silk.

Sure, the technology is going the right direction when it comes to fuel economy.

But clunky transmissions are hardly an technological improvement, more like one step forward and two steps back.

Same with the engines. What's the point of saving fuel, but then burn oil at the same time?

so long

j-ten-ner

Archived