2017 Chevy Silverado Earns Just 1/5 In Owner-Reported Reliability - How Does That Compare to Ram and F-150?

Gorehamj

I think we are reaching the limits of what can be done with internal combustion engines, and when you start to demand more and more while feeding them less and less, you make compromises. Some of which are not so desirable.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weight savings, volumetric efficiency, exotic materials, and electronics cost money, and manufacturing always looks for ways to save a cent or two. These are always in conflict. I'm amazed that anything gets done right.

I've got a 2016 LT  with a 6spd and it has been in twice for transmission shifting issues. It still does it and the dealer told me now there is a two week waiting period, they have so many complaints, before I can get it back in. I have driven all my life and there is no need for a truck to shift this badly. I like the truck overall but will never buy another GM truck until the fix the drive train.

10 hours ago, inspectorudy said:

I've got a 2016 LT  with a 6spd and it has been in twice for transmission shifting issues. It still does it and the dealer told me now there is a two week waiting period, they have so many complaints, before I can get it back in. I have driven all my life and there is no need for a truck to shift this badly. I like the truck overall but will never buy another GM truck until the fix the drive train.

GM's transmission programming has been maddening for over 10 years now.  The industry trend is to keep adding gears, but it doesn't matter if you have a 6, 8, or 10 speed transmission--the General programs it to shift up to the top overdrive gears (how many frakkin overdrive gears do we need??) IMMEDIATELY, which bogs the engine.  Then you have to mash the throttle which usually results in a CLUNK and excessive downshifting and 4-5000 rpm or more.  As soon as you lift your foot ANY, it shifts right back into top gear, and you can start the whole process over again.  GM qualifies this shoddy programming in the name of fuel mileage to meet the EPA's CAFE requirements.  I call BS on that.  FCA has somehow figured out how to make a Ram Hemi with an 8 speed shift intelligently and smoothly, they get about the same gas mileage, and they also sell Demons and Hellcats that count against their CAFE averages too.  Hydramatic Division definitely needs some car guys in the shift algorithm programming department! 

Must be something wrong with me, the only thing I can come up with on my 17 Z71 crew cab is the rear window defroster light comes on when I start it in the morning. I havent bothered taking it back for that. No vibrations, no V4 problems, thats it but it only has 1200 miles on it too.

I think the article above shows exactly what the problem is.  "Opinions"...

I have a '15 and it's by far the best GM truck I've ever owned.  Hands down.  The transmission is great, and the V4 thing is awesome!  Can't wait for the v1-v7 thing and the engine shutdown on idle thing too.  Driven similar in other GM cars and they work great too!  

58 minutes ago, mtkawboy said:

Must be something wrong with me, the only thing I can come up with on my 17 Z71 crew cab is the rear window defroster light comes on when I start it in the morning. I havent bothered taking it back for that. No vibrations, no V4 problems, thats it but it only has 1200 miles on it too.

That's probably by design.  Lots of the GMs now automate things depending on environmental info to the computer.  If it's below 40, it might turn on just to be sure the rear window is clear.  Kinda nice if you ask me.

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

GM's transmission programming has been maddening for over 10 years now.  The industry trend is to keep adding gears, but it doesn't matter if you have a 6, 8, or 10 speed transmission--the General programs it to shift up to the top overdrive gears (how many frakkin overdrive gears do we need??) IMMEDIATELY, which bogs the engine.  Then you have to mash the throttle which usually results in a CLUNK and excessive downshifting and 4-5000 rpm or more.  As soon as you lift your foot ANY, it shifts right back into top gear, and you can start the whole process over again.  GM qualifies this shoddy programming in the name of fuel mileage to meet the EPA's CAFE requirements.  I call BS on that.  FCA has somehow figured out how to make a Ram Hemi with an 8 speed shift intelligently and smoothly, they get about the same gas mileage, and they also sell Demons and Hellcats that count against their CAFE averages too.  Hydramatic Division definitely needs some car guys in the shift algorithm programming department! 

Every time I get in a new vehicle the automatic transmission seems oddly programed.  Once I learn it, things are just fine.  Had to do that with my '15 truck too.  Now, it's just fine.  Funny how people can't seem to adapt sometimes.

12 hours ago, Rob Okray said:

I think we are reaching the limits of what can be done with internal combustion engines, and when you start to demand more and more while feeding them less and less, you make compromises. Some of which are not so desirable.

I heard that 20 years ago too.  Yet every year we see more HP, more Torque, more MPG.  Sometimes little or none, but still it continues to go up.  Just keep the popcorn handy, it's only going to get more interesting.

14 minutes ago, Nargg said:

Every time I get in a new vehicle the automatic transmission seems oddly programed.  Once I learn it, things are just fine.  Had to do that with my '15 truck too.  Now, it's just fine.  Funny how people can't seem to adapt sometimes.

Nothing to adapt to, except for smiling happy people who so gladly accept incompetence.  The shifting constantly sucks.  Every day in every way for over 8 years now.  Having never been in my truck or the other GM vehicles I have driven, you are not going to tell me any different.  GM Dealer's Service Manager says they all do that.  The Rams/Dodges I've driven don't do that, and the Fords do it some, but not nearly as much.  The bottom line is that GM can and should do much better, but they don't seem to care.  Just like they didn't care until the 2009 bankruptcy.  Didn't take them long at all to fall back into the same flawed corporate culture, once they got a little money in the bank.  

My 2015 Silverado 1500 with 52,000 miles has been trouble free. The trans seems once in awhile to get "confused" for a moment, but it's not really an issue as it's certainly not an everyday thing. I'm looking forward to the new Silverado coming out and I will be test driving them for sure. 

I have a 2017 LTZ that just came out of the shop having the cam and lifters replaced at 8300 miles. I am not happy about it but the Dealer took very good care of me and had a very experienced GM engine guy do the job. I also have had 5 other 5.3's, not of this last generation but earlier models. I did loose a set of heads at 114K in my 2003 Silverado but once again, GM stepped up to the plate and replaced them under Goodwill Warranty. While the 2017 was in for the engine they did the update on the trans and it is better. Yes it does have it's different "feel" than the old Turbo's but the whole truck is a different beast. The LTZ is my 5th new truck from Chevy. It is by far the best one yet. Nothing is perfect and we all care about getting a good warranty... Why?? So that when we need it, its there. Of course the Dealer can make the difference in the overall experience but we all like to complain. Nothing is perfect... No matter what brand. I have been in Auto Parts and Service for 37 years...There is junk in every brand if you look close enough. Take good care of them and enjoy the ride!

On 2/27/2018 at 12:06 PM, Nargg said:

It's funny how some people think they know everyone else is stupid but them. I'm glad you are having a good time with your truck but mine has a transmission from hell in it. It will go to a neutral spot and then hunt for the next gear even though no input has been made by the driver. Then it will clunk like a 1949 6 wheeler and shift finally into a gear that is for acceleration/deceleration. I've talked to many people who have had theirs re-programmed and they are fine. GM does this for corporate fuel standards. They don't seem to understand that they are killing their brand.

Archived