2018 remote start

Owens539

so I just bought a 2018 custom . I looked at the hood latch and it already has the wiring harness hooked up to it.  It has the key fob with the lock and unlock buttons. 

no rpo codes on 2018 models in glove box.

i scanned the qrcode in the door and it came up with like 40 codes that are hit and miss to figure out what's what.

the "kit " comes with a hood latch and two fobs for $299 and my dealer said it's $150 to "install" 

any insight here what I should do?

There are older posts on this topic. Once the GM remote start system is installed, you can contact onstar, speak to their Tier 2 Tech Support and they'll have to put in a ticket to have your vin updated in their system to reflect as though your vehicle came with BTV (rpo code for remote start) and then the app will allow for remote start right from your phone. Pretty nice, takes about a week but worth it.

Can I do the programming myself? I cringe thinking I'm paying the dealer $150 to make a phone call.. on top of that I just bought the "kit" for $200 when all I need is the pin number... 

I have access to a ob2 plug with the laptop and also.. maybe I can just call gm ? Give them the pin?

3 hours ago, Owens539 said:

Can I do the programming myself? I cringe thinking I'm paying the dealer $150 to make a phone call.. on top of that I just bought the "kit" for $200 when all I need is the pin number... 

I have access to a ob2 plug with the laptop and also.. maybe I can just call gm ? Give them the pin?

No you can't it has to be done at the dealer unfortunately. In the kit there is a code that the tech uses to call GM and get authorization to reprogram the truck for RS.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, Owens539 said:

so I just bought a 2018 custom . I looked at the hood latch and it already has the wiring harness hooked up to it.  It has the key fob with the lock and unlock buttons. 

no rpo codes on 2018 models in glove box.

i scanned the qrcode in the door and it came up with like 40 codes that are hit and miss to figure out what's what.

the "kit " comes with a hood latch and two fobs for $299 and my dealer said it's $150 to "install" 

any insight here what I should do?

Get the instructions, install it yourself and have the dealer program it using the authorization code.  Or, have the dealer do it all. 

Archived