Possible New Owner Looking for Tips

Ron505

Hey all,

I got rid of my '07 some time ago, and have been driving company vehicles for several years now.  I am looking to get back to a GM for personal use.  Tomorrow morning I'm going to look at a 2014 Sierra SLE 1500 4x4 Crew.  Any thing I should look for besides the dredded shake?  It has 49k miles on it with the 5.3

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. 

Ron

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buying used has inherent risks that are worth taking if you see a significant cost saving.  My experience is that the price of a good,  unmolested late model truck is too close to a discounted new GM.  Talk to a couple of dealerships and see what they can do for you.  I purchased my '15 SLE as a heavily discounted yearend model.  I've enjoyed over 2 years of worry free driving.

Thanks for the input. 

I'll also be looking for headlight mod/replacement from the reading that I've done as well.

Used because it's under $25k.  
25k seems like a fair price. Look at the carfax to make sure it wasn't a buyback or anything like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

As others have already stated that sounds pretty cheap...where I am located that is almost one of those "too good to be true" prices. I spent 6 months looking for a new truck, and while I am a little picky when it comes to buying something used (I am an auto technician and I pick everything I look at apart), I could not justify the money saved and take the risk on something used. Truck prices are through the roof right now...I never thought I would buy a brand new truck but for what the dealers are selling them at it didn't really make sense. But for $25k as long as you look it over and don't see any issues, I'd be all over that. 

I've been looking for about 8 months too. I'm very picky.  I know what I'm going to look at, and won't settle for less. I think it's almost a too good to be true deal as well.  We shall see.

Oh yeah, cloth heated seats, trailer brake, and a matching cap add to the appeal too.

Thanks again guys!

19 hours ago, Ron505 said:

Hey all,

I got rid of my '07 some time ago, and have been driving company vehicles for several years now.  I am looking to get back to a GM for personal use.  Tomorrow morning I'm going to look at a 2014 Sierra SLE 1500 4x4 Crew.  Any thing I should look for besides the dredded shake?  It has 49k miles on it with the 5.3

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. 

Ron

Sounds like you aware of the headlight issue and the shake possibility. There are a couple of other things that I would budget for if they have not already been taken care of 1. New AC condenser 2. New Shocks 3. Drivers side heated seat repairs and cover replacement. 4. Battery replacement   

IMHO I would probably just move on past that 4 year old unit and go over to Laura GMC next time they have a big clearance sale and purchase a 17 or 18 CC 4whl dr at around 22% off MSRP.    Now if your money is tight and they get down under 20k on that 4 year old unit that might be worth pursuing regardless of the possible extra expenses if it drives out well.......... 

It went very well.  No shake, no chunky shifting, drives very nicely and sounds solid.  No imperfections to speak of as of yet.  Complete service history with one owner.  I'm keeping it for the weekend.  I'm going to take it to a friend's and put it up on the rack to check everything underneath it.   

Edit - Found an issue, someone put Rancho shocks on it...ugh.  No fan of Rancho here unless they are 5000's or 9000's.  It has a Bed-Rug installed as well.

20180224_141109.jpg

20180224_142404.jpg

Good looking truck and seems like a good deal. It looks like a double cab though, not a crew cab? Also, I believe those Rancho shocks were stock on Z71's. Look for any signs of those leaking, that's been an issue with some. 

Archived