Plasti dip or wheel skins?

I've kicked around the idea of having black rims on my ride, but at this point I'd have to get rid of my stockers if I found black ones. As a result, I'm trying to figure out if plasti dipping my stocks would be worthwhile or if these wheel skins I discovered would look reasonable. Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-18-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-IMP-392BLK-18-BLACK-Wheel-Skins-NEW-SET-4/192331308411?fits=Year%3A2016|Model%3ASilverado+1500&hash=item2cc7d6dd7b:g:u-QAAOSwNkJaG0Jp&vxp=mtr

10 hours ago, 99silveradoz71 said:

I've kicked around the idea of having black rims on my ride, but at this point I'd have to get rid of my stockers if I found black ones. As a result, I'm trying to figure out if plasti dipping my stocks would be worthwhile or if these wheel skins I discovered would look reasonable. Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-18-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-IMP-392BLK-18-BLACK-Wheel-Skins-NEW-SET-4/192331308411?fits=Year%3A2016|Model%3ASilverado+1500&hash=item2cc7d6dd7b:g:u-QAAOSwNkJaG0Jp&vxp=mtr

My vote is for these wheel skins you found on eBay.  They can easily be switched on and off and serve as inexpensive protection for your stock wheels. 

I plasti dipped my rims multiple times with no issues.  Actually I use a brand called Halo.  IMO its better than plasti dip but a little more expensive.  The finish is smooth, shiney, and very easy to apply correctly.  One can will do a single 20" wheel.

http://liquidautoskin.com/infinite-cans/infinite-cans-wheel-kits

If done properly dip will look great and last years, i had one set last over 3 years and still looked new when power washed but... for $80 i would save time and get the skins. 

Properly dipping 4 wheels takes me around 5 hours and 24hr final dry time so its def time consuming.

40 minutes ago, bc-chris said:

my only hesitation with the wheel skins is what if 'gunk' gets in between the rim and the skin - could make a mess of your rims?

maybe?

i've never seen wheel skins so i could be totally wrong

They usually fit perfect and have a lip on them that goes around the wheel lip so your original finish should be fine.

Maybe clean wheel as best you can, appy heavy coat of wax and after thats dry just polish it up and install the skins.

you should be fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Esan said:

Plastidip many coats at least 5 with 2 of clear looks great. 2 yrs of ny winters and still looks great. 

Those 17s look nice with the black treatment and white letter tires! 

I had some of the wheel skin things put on my truck right after I got it. Just the other day I noticed that I apparently curbed it a few times, and all the damage appears to be on the wheel skins and not on the rims. So that's where my vote goes. You won't get protection from that with plasti-dip. (Maybe you don't have that problem, but I almost always curb my vehicles at least once during the time that I own it.)

• Like 1