Well, first real problem...guess I have take it in...

Well actually the third, but the first one was rodents, second is very hit/miss...I guess at 130k miles that isn't too bad.

Trans is starting to act up...mainly on downshift under moderate power..acts like it forgets what it's doing and I get a harsh engagement, but it's not consistent. Usually it's the shift into fourth that hits the hardest, or at least where I notice it mostly. It has slowly been getting worse, more frequent. Other than this harsh engagement, it drives normal...goes up through the gears like it always has.

Fluid is good, filter was changed 25k miles ago, fluid gets pumped out about every 15k miles. I do some limited towing and hauling, but I can't imagine I've hurt this thing. Fluid looks like new.

So I'm assuming it's a solenoid or a ground somewhere...just going to schedule it in for this and a fuel pump replacement. Unless someone has an idea where to start looking?

Steve

2012 2500hd 6.0l

Sorry bud!  If I was you I would be thinking Fuel pump is 1st and just question the Trans issue?  And drive her right into the end of year discounts on a 2019 Silvy!  6.2L  yeah it would look good on you bro!  What trans issue?  Never had one....................

Fuel pump is a PM thing, just replacing before a failure. If I take it in for the trans, might as well have that done at the same time...

The plot thickens...drove home in T/H tonight, trans shifted perfectly. I want to remember the T/H only changes shift points and raises line pressures via solenoids...am I looking at faulty solenoids? That was my first thought when this all started because it's not consistent...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

I don't know a ton about transmissions, but I would guess a lazy solenoid. By switching up to tow haul you are increasing the pressure and therefore masking the issue of the lazy solenoid.

I'd take it to an honest transmission shop and have them diagnose it, most places will say you need a new transmission if you take it with that type of problem. And I agree, with that mileage and maintenance, I would highly doubt that any of the major components are damaged in any way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might get some idea of what the problem could be if you have access to a code reader that can read codes from the transmission's computer (TCM).  It can have codes, but not turn on the CEL...  Some parts stores will have one that can do this, and will read the codes for free...

Autozone has that capability, the local garage can also read those codes with whatever they use.

I might take it to the local place and see if they can do it, save taking it clear down to the dealer. I think I remembered someone saying solenoids were the weak link in the trans of these trucks at one point. Might be worth swapping all of them.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

The verdict...could not duplicate.

I trust this guy, he put the truck through the paces and saw nothing in the output that indicted any issue at all. Called me several times today to tell me what he found and what he was doing next. They ended up changing the trans filter and fluid and welded a drain plug in the pan...said the fluid looked fine (which it should for how often I change it). He also pulled a bunch of service bulletins for this truck, it sees this trans suffers from bad wiring harnesses sometimes.

I also had them flush the brake fluid, chased down an EVAP code, and clean the throttle body. They also disconnected and shorted the battery cables to reset things (I never got around to that).

The verdict is drive it, see if it does it again, and if so; then start looking at wiring connectors and harnesses (I did have an ABS issue that stemmed from rodent-chewed wiring)...

On the initial drive home, it did feel better; but that could be just the new fluid...

Steve
2012 2500hd

• 3 weeks later...

Archived