Brand New 2018 GMC Elevation Crew Cab- Low Oil?

20ELEVATION18CC

Question

I recently bought a brand new 2018 GMC Sierra Elevation SLE. After having it for a few days and putting on 500 km, I decided to check the fluid levels. I noticed that the oil was on the lower side, meaning, it almost showed that there was minimal oil in the engine. I find this strange, seeing as normally you see the oil bubble on the dip stick between the 2 indicators. In my case, there was no proof of an oil bubble. It seems very faint and thin-looking on the dip stick. Just curious if this is how the new GMC's are, or am I just running on seriously low oil?

3 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Knowing GM, it wouldn't shock me if they're still building oil burners.

That said, I'd take into consideration that GM likes to save a buck whenever & wherever it can - instead of filling the crankcase to the full line, they may opt for the middle, or middle-lower range of the dipstick.

Another variable to think about is how level your parking area is for checking the oil - this makes a BIG difference on what your reading will be. Just a slight pitch one way or the other will skew the readings big time.

Thanks for the info! Now that I think about it, I did check the oil on a slight incline.  I will check again on level ground!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Bubble?  Is there a range on the dip stick, or more than one line?  For example one line that says max and another line that says min? 

Since this truck is brand new to you, you have already read the manual it came with, what does it say about how the level is supposed to be checked?

Knowing GM, it wouldn't shock me if they're still building oil burners.

That said, I'd take into consideration that GM likes to save a buck whenever & wherever it can - instead of filling the crankcase to the full line, they may opt for the middle, or middle-lower range of the dipstick.

Another variable to think about is how level your parking area is for checking the oil - this makes a BIG difference on what your reading will be. Just a slight pitch one way or the other will skew the readings big time.

Archived