The.Sundae.Drive

Hi Guys, I tried to create the most comprehensive guide I could for changing rear differential fluid on our GM trucks. I have some specs for torque and capacity below. If you guys have additional torque specs I can add to this list please comment below and I will update this post!

For 2014 -2018 1500 Silverado and Sierra (As well as same generation Tahoe, Suburban, and Escalade)

9.5" Rear ~ Approximately 5.5 Pints
Cover Bolts Torque =  20ft-lbs, Fill Plug = 24 ft-lbs
8.6" Rear ~ Approximately 4.2 Pints
Cover Bolts Torque =  20ft-lbs, Fill Plug = 24 ft-lbs

Always verify capacities and torque specs with your owner's manual.

Parts Used:

Permatex 25238 The Right Stuff Grey Gasket Maker: http://amzn.to/2CQdcij (Grey is slightly easier to get apart)

Permatex 25229 The Right Stuff Black Gasket Maker: http://amzn.to/2F2tLxw (Stronger Bond and Seal)

Permatex 81182 Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker: http://amzn.to/2F4aDiL (Cheaper option but takes longer to set)

According to the GM Factory Owner's Manual the fluid may appear low because it is not filled to a certain level at the factory. To get an accurate reading of the fluid fill you need to let the vehicle sit on a level surface for an hour or more so that the fluid can return to the pumpkin from the axles. 

The following fill level are provided by GM:

For all 4.3L and 5.3L 1500 Series applications, the proper level is 1.0 mm to 19.0 mm (0.04 in to 0.7 in) below the bottom of the fill hole, located on the rear axle. Add only enough fluid to reach the proper level. 

For 6.2L 1500 Series applications, the proper level is
from 15 mm to 40 mm (0.6 in to 1.6 in) below the bottom of the
fill plug hole, located on the rear axle. Add only enough fluid to
reach the proper level.

For all 6.0L 2500HD Series applications, the proper level is from 0 mm to 13 mm (0 to 0.5 in) below the bottom of the fill plug hole, located on the rear axle. Add only enough fluid to reach the proper level.

For all 6.6L Duramax Diesel 2500HD Series applications and all 3500 Series applications, the proper level is from 17 mm to 21 mm (0.6 in to 0.8 in) below the bottom of the fill plug hole, located on the rear axle. Add only enough fluid to reach the proper level.

This process is identical for:
Chevy Silverado
Chevy Tahoe

Chevy Sububan
GMC Sierra
GMC Yukon

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Hoginedgewood said:

No mention of limited slip using an additive or different fluid than standard gearing components?

My truck did not require a friction modifier to be added. I searched for awhile on this to verify that is correct and everything I turned up said that no slip modifier was needed. My owners manual also did not list a slip modifier under the needed fluids and this is included when it is required (for example in my camaro). Depending on your truck it is possible you could need one but if in doubt I would consult the manual or dealer. Not that dealers are always forthcoming with maintenance information lol