My 2012 Silver is one of the unfortunates to be cursed with AFM. It has 136k on it. It has gone through a quart of oil about every two weeks since I got it at 75k miles, plugs on 1, 4, 6 and 7 have to be changed about every 6 months (photos of #7 that got changed a few days ago because as usual, CLEARLY it was fouled and misfiring) and it DRINKS fuel. My average MPG's hovers around 10-11mpg..not to mention the horrible jolt it makes after cycling between 4 and 8 cylinders. Is there nothing I can do to, if nothing else, reduce the oil consumption?

20180301_154413.jpg

20180301_154418.jpg

received_2143500759204409.jpeg

You're probably looking at a valve job. Burning that much oil could be the seals and guides are shot.

Blue smoke from the tail pipe?

Chances are your PCV system is plugged, could be worse.  Once that happens your rings could be loaded up.

Yours should have the updated drivers side valve cover, but looks like it needs another.

Sounds like you bought a truck that had issues from day one.

There are trucks with AFM that are fine.

My 2012 has 61 K miles and has had AFM disabled since 41 k miles when I bought it.

Having said that, are you going to keep this truck?

Are you willing to fix it?

It could be a valve job will do it or it may also need a ring job.

:)

It's not going to be an easy fix. You're using oil for fuel. That's says worn internal engine parts. Doesn't seem the AFM would cause this. The "horrible jolt" when switching from v4 to v8 is probably more of a misfire from oil building up in the cylinders. Surprised there is no smoke. 

Your probably right about the misfire. That plus is typical of what I find when I change those four. Nasty.. the other 4 seems to last as long as normal plugs, with minimum wear and build up. That's the only thing that leads me to suspect the AFM is somehow pumping oil back to those affected cylinders. I hand a local shop run a compression test on the engine and all were more or less even. I'm almost certain this isn't a ring issue, but I'm no automotive expert either. I hear Summit offers an AFM "delete" kit, but to be honest, I don't want to pour any more money into this travesty of a truck. 

1 minute ago, WilliamBos said:

I would cut your losses and deal it, wont be a cheap fix.

Agreed. And, as crappy as this may be of me, its time I pass to buck to someone else. Other than the AFM issues, it's been a good truck. It's just NOT one I want to keep.

OEM Bulletin, Piston Ring Wear and Oil Consumption

GM Service Bulletin No. 10058791-5041 reads: “Subject: Special Coverage Adjustment — Excessive Engine Oil Consumption … engine may exhibit excessive engine oil consumption due to piston ring wear … This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years and 6 months or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first … Dealers are to replace the 4 piston assemblies. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.”

There's a hint if ever one I heard. 

14 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Where do I start on counting the ways that is so wrong. :smash:  :rolleyes:

Why, at the top of course!! :lol:

Archived