Max Trailering Package Worth it?

Hi all,

May have to order the truck I want. Lots of Denail and SLT around me but no Max Trailering packages with 6.2. I was set on a 4wd CC 6.6' Denali but max trailer is 9100lbs. An 4wd CC 6.6' SLT Max trailering 6.2 is rated at 11,700.

Owners of Max Towing package - What have you towed? At elevation? In mountains?

Might look at Dennis Dillon GMC in Boise. They seem to stock cc and dc max tow. Got my 2017 there and was extremely happy. Tow all over the NW and down thru Arizona. Light 5th wheel and love the way it tows. 

28 minutes ago, Bigmac said:

Might look at Dennis Dillon GMC in Boise. They seem to stock cc and dc max tow. Got my 2017 there and was extremely happy. Tow all over the NW and down thru Arizona. Light 5th wheel and love the way it tows. 

Thanks for reply. Laura GMC in Illinois has a few to choose from but Dennis Dillon is out of stock for Crew Cab 4x4 SLT 6.6' bed Max Tow. If I order I assume the rebates would be as good (10K off) or better when its finally built in 3 months? I'll give DD a call and see what the deal is. Illinois is pretty damn far from me LOL.

Did you fly in and drive home? Any sales people you would recommend? I've read mixed reviews online but I know most people complain and you don't hear from the satisfied customers as much.

Not to hijack, but what is the hitch weight of the 5th wheel, and did you install Timbren or air bags. Would love keeping the mpgs of the 6.2 for daily driving.

Yes on airbags but only run 20 lbs.  We run very light but hitch weight in bed is 1500 lbs.   I installed disc brakes on rv as I can’t leave anything alone. Loaded weight of rv is 8200. Weight police will chime in and say OMG I shouldn’t be towing but it handles great. I have a Anderson Ultimate Hitch in bed that weighs less than 40 lbs. My salesman name was Reggie and yes I flew in and drove home just 1 year ago. 8 hour drive.   I just had him spec my the same truck only 2018 with a different color as their stock is low and it was much more than they have priced for stock units. I would imagine the rebates will continue but I think they will quit  building as plants change over for 2019.  

1 hour ago, 2009GMC said:

Thanks for reply. Laura GMC in Illinois has a few to choose from but Dennis Dillon is out of stock for Crew Cab 4x4 SLT 6.6' bed Max Tow. If I order I assume the rebates would be as good (10K off) or better when its finally built in 3 months? I'll give DD a call and see what the deal is. Illinois is pretty damn far from me LOL.

Did you fly in and drive home? Any sales people you would recommend? I've read mixed reviews online but I know most people complain and you don't hear from the satisfied customers as much.

Pm me if you want his number.   I was in the auto business for 45 years and liked his no pressure approach. 

Here in Ohio I couldn't find any Silverado Crew Cab standard bed configurations with the max tow within 400 miles of me.  I was looking for months.  My dealer found 3 in the entire country last month.  I ended up ordering in February, and NO you do not get the incentives and rebates at the time of order.  You get what applies when you pick up your truck from the dealer.  The March incentives look just as good as February right now, so I am hoping for a delivery before the end of the month (build week scheduled for 03/19). 

Also, according to the Chevrolet website the 5.3L with the max trailer package can tow 10,700 lbs.  Without the max trailering its 9,100 lbs for the 3.42 rear end.  Yes the 6.2L and max trailering is 11,700lbs.  I would assume the GMC is the same since it is basically the same truck.

I have owned both 1/2 and 3/4 ton rated trucks.  The 1/2 ton is the best all around vehicle for work, play and overall costs, imo.  If I had any plans to own a trailer flirting around 10,000 lbs.,  my daily driver would be a 3/4 ton.  Driving a truck with a maxed out load is uncomfortable and potentially dangerous.  Last spring I saw a 1/2 ton Ford parked behind the mall with a substantial 5th wheel attached.  It literally made me feel sick to see children's bikes strapped to the back.

First and foremost, what do you have for a trailer? Trailer GVW, tongue weights, axle spread, tire sizes etc. all useful info when talking about trailering. We can recommend you a Duramax or a 387 Peterbilt, without knowing what you are towing this thread is pointless.

5 hours ago, Donstar said:

Last spring I saw a 1/2 ton Ford parked behind the mall with a substantial 5th wheel attached.  It literally made me feel sick to see children's bikes strapped to the back.

What's "substantial?"  Lots of F150 guys are switching to 5th wheels because they are MUCH SAFER.  Your sickness would be more intelligently aimed at long bumper-pull camping trailers, which are one of the most dangerous types of trailers to pull, weight for weight, ever invented.

46 minutes ago, Jon A said:

What's "substantial?"  Lots of F150 guys are switching to 5th wheels because they are MUCH SAFER.  Your sickness would be more intelligently aimed at long bumper-pull camping trailers, which are one of the most dangerous types of trailers to pull, weight for weight, ever invented.

I wasn't expecting that my expression of feeling sick would be used as a reflection of my intelligence.  I agree that 5th wheel trailers can be safer to pull when the tow vehicle has the appropriate payload.  Some trailer manufacturers are producing what they call 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel trailers.  The set-up I was using as an example was not properly matched and the truck was clearly exceeding what it was designed to tow.  

Expressing you feel sick because you think another guy is endangering the lives of his own children is a really heavy thing to say.  If you know the specs of the trailer and truck and know how it was loaded and determined he was grossly overloaded, then you'd have a good basis for it and it would be a fair point but you didn't say any of that.  Your post came off much more along the lines of a "5th wheel = big, scary and unsafe" type of comment, which is the opposite of true although way too common on the internet. 

The "can be" is really a misconception, the reality is more like "virtually always" safer for a similar sized trailer.  It's not even a contest--the difference is dramatic, one easily felt from the driver's seat in the way the truck and trailer handle.

7 hours ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

First and foremost, what do you have for a trailer? Trailer GVW, tongue weights, axle spread, tire sizes etc. all useful info when talking about trailering. We can recommend you a Duramax or a 387 Peterbilt, without knowing what you are towing this thread is pointless.

Currently tow a 3500lb enclosed trailer. Want room to tow comfortably in future when I upgrade to a 8k - 10k toy hauler trailer (loaded). I tow maybe once a month 300 - 600 miles in the mountains etc. 

i want a good semi-daily driver but able to tow up to 10k loaded trailer in future. 

Its between a 6.2 max tow 6.6’ crew cab 4x4 SLT and same config but duramax l5p. Not interested in the 6.oooohhhh 

Depending on how big the trailer is, in terms of dimensions, you might be better off with the 2500.  Even if the weight is within the 1500 max tow specs, external forces (crosswinds, drag, flex) on a trailer large in size might be too hard on the 1500.  Plus, you said up to 600 miles per month and thru mountains, the 2500 Duramax would be my choice.  It wouldn't let you down.

The larger trailer is definitely a few years off. Towing my 3500lb enclosed with RZR will be like its not even there with the Duramax. I've seen quite a few L5p for sale with anywhere from 1.5k - 20k miles for sale. Been reading other forms and its definitely the luck of the draw if you are going to have DEF sensor issues or other new engine diesel problems. This is what scares me on diesel.

Hell, the 1500 I could probably work on myself. The Duramax, you pop the hood and wow there is a lot of motor, emissions, etc stuffed under there. I could prob change oil and fuel filters on that and that's about it!

I'd also be doing lots of short trips around town and I know diesels don't care for that. Guess I could use the ol 97 for that.

But the 910 ft lbs of torque!

Archived