2016 8 speed issues

I’ve searched 8 speed issues and have been overwhelmed. I’m looking at a 16 Sierra All Terrain and it had a 5.3 and 8 speed transmission with 30k miles. It’s over 2.5 hours away so I was wondering if it is worth the drive?  Have GM tuning issues resolved the problems since they debuted? At 30k miles would the issues probably already of been present by now if it was going to? Thankfully I’d still have some warranty but if they are bad, I will just keep looking at 6 speed trucks. 

I’ve searched 8 speed issues and have been overwhelmed. I’m looking at a 16 Sierra All Terrain and it had a 5.3 and 8 speed transmission with 30k miles. It’s over 2.5 hours away so I was wondering if it is worth the drive?  Have GM tuning issues resolved the problems since they debuted? At 30k miles would the issues probably already of been present by now if it was going to? Thankfully I’d still have some warranty but if they are bad, I will just keep looking at 6 speed trucks. 
There is a reason it took me so long to find a 5.3 and a 6 speed. Issues with the larger motors and the 8speeds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Only reason I would stick with the 6 speed is they’ve been out for so long and are easy to service. The 8 speed has variable width retainers for clutch pack travel, bunches of special tools that are required to be used in a rebuild and finding technicians with the true knowledge to service them, even at the dealer, is few and far between. The average dealer says they have a trans guy, they mean he just replaces them. Most don’t rebuild anything anymore because the inside of a transmission intimidates a lot of people. So much so, that they aren’t even willing to learn it, just replace it. Stick with the 6 speed, you’ll be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s two 30 minute videos on the 8L90 internals. 

Got to love YouTube!

Part 1: Fast forward to 2:25

Part 2: Fast Forward to 4:15

Maybe I just got lucky, but my 2016 5.3/8 speed has had zero problems with 41,000 miles on the clock. I didn't hesitate to get that trans since my dealership offers a lifetime power train warranty. They can replace it if/when it decides to give up the ghost.

15 hours ago, DTB said:

i had a bad clunk in my 16 AT .. 5.3 8sp... ..just got it back from the dealer... flashed the computer... all is good now!... there's a tsb on the issue ..

I wouldn't shy away from a good deal because of some poor reviews.   I'd use this knowledge to take full advantage of my warranty to ensure everything is running perfectly.  However, if given the choice I'd choose a 6 spd.  I like to hear/feel a little healthy interaction between the engine and transmission.  Of course this is coming from a guy who wants a 4 spd manual!

Justin. Where did u learn about the 8 speed technical details? Who is the manufacturer of that transmission?

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

GM Field Service Engineer through Raytheon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious. I understand the wish to have GM fix an issue under warranty. I would too in most cases. Thing is, once they have had a shot or two or three at it and still fail to deliver it's what follows for many that puzzles me. Lemon Law buy back. Dealer buy back. Hide and sell. All common enough plans of action. Two of those three have big $$$$ downsides and the other takes time and $$$$ to pull off.  That the case why isn't an outside service ever a consideration? 

Might make sense to have a transmission shop diagnose it. As long as they don't take it apart, shouldn't blow the warranty. 6 and 8 speeds have been around awhile now. Not just GM, but Ford and Ram as well. 

16 hours ago, nowicksl said:

Justin. Where did u learn about the 8 speed technical details? Who is the manufacturer of that transmission?

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

The 8L90 is made by GM Powertrain in Toledo Ohio and Silao Mexico.

Archived