Rattle noise

I have a 2005 chevy silverado 1500. Earlier today I noticed a rattle noise that sounded like a heat shield but it aint loose. Oil pressure is good and all the other gauges are showing fine. I did a dumb thing and I ran it til there was only about a half quart (if that) of oil in it. The check engine light has been on since I bought it 4 years ago. She runs fine except this noise has me freaked out. My husband swears it needs a new motor (even though its running fine other than the noise...he just wants a bigger motor in it). I wanted to see if y'all had and suggestions before i go off the deep end. Thanks in advance

It's really hard to diagnose a sound without hearing it. Does the sound get faster when the engine is revved? I had a vehicle come in yesterday with a rattle that sounded like a heat shield and it was a broken valve spring (EASY FIX). Customer was told he had bad lifters.

Just need a little more information.

What size engine is it?

Is the noise constant or does it go away?

13 hours ago, Sarahlynnelkins said:

I have a 2005 chevy silverado 1500. Earlier today I noticed a rattle noise that sounded like a heat shield but it aint loose. Oil pressure is good and all the other gauges are showing fine. I did a dumb thing and I ran it til there was only about a half quart (if that) of oil in it. The check engine light has been on since I bought it 4 years ago. She runs fine except this noise has me freaked out. My husband swears it needs a new motor (even though its running fine other than the noise...he just wants a bigger motor in it). I wanted to see if y'all had and suggestions before i go off the deep end. Thanks in advance

You were running the engine with only a half quart in it?

13 hours ago, carnau said:

It's really hard to diagnose a sound without hearing it. Does the sound get faster when the engine is revved? I had a vehicle come in yesterday with a rattle that sounded like a heat shield and it was a broken valve spring (EASY FIX). Customer was told he had bad lifters.

What size engine is it?

5.3 and its constant

13 hours ago, carnau said:

What size engine is it?

It gets faster the more gas I give it

A half quart of oil you say? I think you probably have some major engine damage as  result wonder you didn't spin a rod or main bearing  as for installing a larger engine good luck with that unless you wanna change out a lot of other components 

Have someone read the codes that caused the check engine light to come on. If it has to do with oil pressure, that motor is probably hurt.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:00 AM, Sarahlynnelkins said:

It gets faster the more gas I give it

Need to remove the rocker arms from the cylinder causing the noise. It could be something as small as a broken valve spring. Remove the valve cover the noise is coming from and take a look. It could be less that $100 to fix. Loose rocker arm, bent push rod, broken valve spring... all cheap fixes.

Archived