L96 6.0 Given More Life

Well, it would seem the expected rumors of the demise of what some call, "archaic" L96 6.0 have been premature, and the motor is moving to more platforms. Get the idea that it is a solid motor design?  Fuso is going to put it in some of their cab over Class 5 trucks, and hook up a Allison 1000 behind it.  Something that I wish GM had the vision to do.

https://www.ccjdigital.com/fuso-set-to-debut-gas-powered-fe-trucks-this-year/?utm_source=weekly-equipment&utm_medium=email&utm_content=03-07-2018&utm_campaign=Commercial Carrier Journal&ust_id=480221824f761d3e1f8cedd4a1049565&utm_term=newsletter-2-weekly-equipment-position-2

I love the 6.0 and all, but its time for 6.0 V3 (LQ4 being V1, LY6/L96 being V2).  Needs a bit more displacement, about 40-50 more HP and 40-50 more torque, some port/DI fuel injection, no AFM. 

6 hours ago, Colossus said:

The 6.0 is not a DI engine, right?  Can they make it a DI engine without that DID crap? 

If GM felt it was worth development costs on the LS architecture, then sure they could do it.  But if it were that easy, why haven't they done it?  6.0 will continue to be a printing press until its replaced, and I bet even after its replaced for fleet use.  Whatever replaces it has to live to the same, if not higher standards the L96 is built for.  Reliability for a crap ton of miles, low maintenance costs, increased efficiency, etc. 

On 3/7/2018 at 8:20 PM, Cowpie said:

Well, it would seem the expected rumors of the demise of what some call, "archaic" L96 6.0 have been premature, and the motor is moving to more platforms. Get the idea that it is a solid motor design?  Fuso is going to put it in some of their cab over Class 5 trucks, and hook up a Allison 1000 behind it.  Something that I wish GM had the vision to do.

https://www.ccjdigital.com/fuso-set-to-debut-gas-powered-fe-trucks-this-year/?utm_source=weekly-equipment&utm_medium=email&utm_content=03-07-2018&utm_campaign=Commercial Carrier Journal&ust_id=480221824f761d3e1f8cedd4a1049565&utm_term=newsletter-2-weekly-equipment-position-2

Chevy does have the Low Cab Forward 3500/4500 truck chassis with the L96, but they do pair it with the 6L90.

I know that my UPS driver is riding in a presumably FCC built truck, with the L96 hooked up to an Allison. I'll have to snap a picture one of these days when I see him around. Although all the chassis builders detune the L96 it's nice to know that the motor is such a workhorse.

11 hours ago, Colossus said:

The 6.0 is not a DI engine, right?  Can they make it a DI engine without that DID crap? 

Correct, 6.0 is not DI, it is port injection.  It also doesn't have that AFM junk the motors in the 1500 series pickups have.  The L96 does have VVT, which I can live with.   I really have no problem with the 6L90 that is hooked up behind the 6.0 in my 2500, but it would have been a nice option to have the Allison.  It would have made a darn good pickup even better.

Not sure why anyone would WANT direct injection. It is not a feature. It
Is a detriment to valves.

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

Archived