Truck stolen!... Update!

brainpause

12 hours ago, 1940ModelB said:

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-2500-hd-truck-parting/6461272070.html

.... may be worth asking for a picture of the truck.

Make some email accounts if they refuse. Then ask for pictures of specific parts, like the grille. Because you had an accident and want a like new grille or want to see the condition of it.

Hopefully it hasn't been chopped already if it's yours. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know there is a lot more to this story but on the surface, I wonder why has your friend not been charged for grand theft? (or has he/she)  Also, I would get legal assistance to help you with your insurance company as their response doesn't sound right.  If your friend totaled or  had any accident with your vehicle  you'd be covered.  Not knowing your friend was such a crook was an accident!

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of "no title" or "lost title" ads on Craigslist. The person  could have told the buyer "Ill bring it to you in a few days" or "I have to use the money to pay off the bank and I'll send it to you".

Sure, it might raise a red flag to you, or someone with common sense, but most people don't have common sense. 

I think it was Carlin that said "Think of how dumb the average person is......and realize half of all people are dumber than that". Plently of people won't ask questions if the price is right.
It's still illegal in most states to sell a car/truck/trailer with no title. You can't even scrap one in PA without a title in your name (or signed over to you)...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

It's still illegal in most states to sell a car/truck/trailer with no title. You can't even scrap one in PA without a title in your name (or signed over to you)...

Just because there is a law, doesn't mean everyone follows it. It's illegal to murder someone anywhere, but read a Chicago paper, any day of the year.

Just because there is a law, doesn't mean everyone follows it. It's illegal to murder someone anywhere, but read a Chicago paper, any day of the year.
Your right, just blame stupid people...laws are meaningless. Good answer...

On 3/10/2018 at 3:57 PM, Donstar said:

I know there is a lot more to this story but on the surface, I wonder why has your friend not been charged for grand theft? (or has he/she)  Also, I would get legal assistance to help you with your insurance company as their response doesn't sound right.  If your friend totaled or  had any accident with your vehicle  you'd be covered.  Not knowing your friend was such a crook was an accident!

Working on it. It happens in a town 2 hours from where I live although it was my hometown. so I'm a bit at a disadvantage

Ebay and CL are the biggest places to fence stolen goods in America according my friend and police officer.  One of my friends had his Grand National stolen one night and we turned the town upside down looking for it, uncovering several chop shops for the police and the pressure put on the bad guys forced them to abandon the car in a public place where it was quickly found and recovered almost completely intact.  The public gave us tips.  The bad guys followed three of us home from the race track and tried to steal all three cars (different towns, 40 miles apart) but were only successful in getting the one that night.  Jerks.

• 3 weeks later...

Update

So after a month and also being able to produce a stolen vehicle Report from the police department, the insurance company said not one more word and cut me a check. They treated me well. I'd say I at least broke even from my purchase price and the money I had already put into it for repairs. So kudos to State Farm. They also treated me well a couple of years ago when I totaled a Toyota Avalon.

The good news is that I am back in the truck business and I think I ended up with a better truck anyway. I now am the proud owner of a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with 8.1 and Allison drivetrain. It is 4 x 4 extended cab. I went over this thing with a fine-tooth comb and the only big thing I could find was the air conditioning didn't work. That along with a couple of other things I used as haggling material and I feel like I got a great deal. At least they came down a whole bunch off their asking price.

I found it in Atlanta and drove it back to Nashville. On the way, I stopped at Walmart and picked up some refrigerant and I now have air conditioning again. Maybe there's a leak or something but at least it was a comfortable drive back home. The first 120 miles was without air conditioning.

I was Towing my car on my way back home. Coming up Monteagle Mountain, which is Seven Mile climb, the darn thing didn't even downshift. Granted it was only a 3500 pound car, but it was still a little bit of drag. I was quite impressed because this engine just hums right along in the same gear Up and Down Hills even while towing a small load. Got 11.9 miles per gallon and had to go through heavy traffic in Atlanta and Chattanooga. That's better than the 6.0 in the truck that was stolen.

Pardon me for being a little bit juvenile but yay me!

Larry

8b7cb604564f371a6c8fbd128bdb28e5.jpg

2 minutes ago, grizzlyltz said:

Shit happens for a reason , sounds like you found a nice truck, just don’t borrow this one to anyone lol

Grizzly

I know, right!  My buddy said not to loan it to anybody except him. I told him I wasn't even going to loan it to him.

In the end, things worked out for the better, glad to hear it!

And glad to hear that you didn't lose a gear or your brakes and didn't jack-nife on that Monteagle grade back to Tennessee!  

Archived