Engine Flush?!?

I'm partial to the BG products, they have been around a long time and have a good standing in the automotive industry. 

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-engine-purge/

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-epr-engine-performance-restoration/

For the top end, GM Engine cleaner is actually pretty good stuff too,

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-88861803-Engine-Injector-Cleaner/dp/B00BK7LR36

What’s the best engine flush? I only can find motor medic locally which says you Have to drop oil pan after. I heard liqui moly Flush is good? Do u need to drop own with that too?  
  AutoRX...that was highly regarded on BITOG at one time and I have friends that have used it with good success in sludged engines...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

A quart of Kerosene after a good warm up and let it idle for 20 minutes. Drop and refill. Done. Now that said...why? 

Haha everyone keeps asking that... I mean I guess because I just wanted to do a cleanup... it’s really not sludgy at all, and so people have said don’t mess with it then.  And thanks by the way

7 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

AutoRX...that was highly regarded on BITOG at one time and I have friends that have used it with good success in sludged engines...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

See and kind of like what you’re saying, sludged engines. And I don’t think mine is sludged... I guess how i can tell is if the oil comes out gunky?

AutoRX has a sequence you do, it's not a once and done. I know it works, the one car guy friend of mine did his son's VW (a known sludge monster) that was goopy...it took several applications and oil changes, but the valve cover was spotless in the end.

If I was to run anything to clean an engine that I cared about, it would be AutoRX. If it was some old beater or daily driver that wasn't my primary vehicle, I'd probably use diesel.

Steve
2012 2500hd

1 hour ago, DONWT15 said:

Gets the crud out of your fingernails.

Takes tar off show paint and leaves a slight oily film that give some extra depth.

Dad use to have this thing for the ford flatty and in particular the 49 to 53 models. He'd find some left for dead car in a hog pen with the motor locked up and the oil in coke state and bring it back to life with some concoction of Kerosene, Marvel Mystery and penetrating oil. Pull the plugs and fill each cylinder then leave it a week or two. Pull the heads and give is rap on the piston tops with a dead blow and an Oak 2X4. Once it would move he'd put a quart plus in the pan and let that soak. Put the heads back on and give it a tune up/rebuild of the carb if needed and fire it up to warm. Shut it down and pull the plug. Use a screw driver to pierce the sludge and drain what would. Rinse and repeat. If it would clear up do a compression check, oil pressure check and if it passed muster. Drive it until it dropped. Years most times. We lived on his $50 finds when I was young.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2018 at 11:16 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

A quart of Kerosene after a good warm up and let it idle for 20 minutes. Drop and refill. Done. Now that said...why? 

This or if you’re feeling European, LubroMoly.

If you have been running a quality synthetic then there really isn't any need to run a flush.  Is this in a new 2014 and up vehicle? 

If you want to use a product Auto RX really does a great job.  It works slowly over time with the heat of the oil.  If you do short trips and the oil doesn't get up to temp often then it will not work so well from what I have seen.

If you just want a quick flush before an oil change then run AMSOIL's Engine and Transmission flush.  It works well and is safe to use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black02Silverado said:

If you just want a quick flush before an oil change then run AMSOIL's Engine and Transmission flush.  It works well and is safe to use. 

Ever notice the wording on cans of engine flush?  "Contains Petroleum distillates"? It's sort of a chemical engineering thing that 'like dissolves like'. Kerosene or diesel is a 'like' of motor oil. Ops, a petroleum distillate. Go figure that it would be safe to use. Has been for over a hundred years. But if it makes one feel better to buy you distillates in a can with a name brand...have a go. :seeya:

15 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Ever notice the wording on cans of engine flush?  "Contains Petroleum distillates"? It's sort of a chemical engineering thing that 'like dissolves like'. Kerosene or diesel is a 'like' of motor oil. Ops, a petroleum distillate. Go figure that it would be safe to use. Has been for over a hundred years. But if it makes one feel better to buy you distillates in a can with a name brand...have a go. :seeya:

"Petroleum distillates"  general term of course.  Know anyone that would pour a qt of diesel fuel or kerosene into their transmission to do a clean cycle?  I never have but I'm sure it would be fine as well, I guess?  Just like engine oils, it is the additives that make a product different.