Tow mirror led circuit? Load?

Just wondering if anyone has tapped into the box auxiliary lighting at rear of the truck to power aftermarket led back up lights? How high is the fuse rating for the bed lights and tow mirrors etc?  Id rather not have them permanent on the reverse circuit? 

Thanks for any help!! 

The factory intended operation of the “backup lights” on tow mirrors are that they are actually tied to he Cargo Lamp circuit. In the upfitter schematics, they are all called out as “Cargo Lamps”. They are activated by the Cargo Lamp button that illuminates the bed lamps and the cargo lamp in the third brake Lamp location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from 2018 manual:

The cargo lamp provides more light in the cargo area or on the sides of the vehicle, if needed.

The lights inside the pickup box and/or on the outside mirrors also turn on, if equipped.

Press the switch to turn the cargo lamp on or off.

An indicator light will turn on when the lamp is turned on, if equipped.

The shift lever must be in P (Park) to operate the cargo lamp.

The lights on the outside rearview mirrors turn on if the shift lever is in R (Reverse), N (Neutral), or P (Park).

I fully understand how the system and switch/cargo lights/mirror lights work. I was wondering if anyone has put aftermarket Led backup lights in or under the bumper and tied into the same circuit?? Thanks for the help

I would tie into the trailer plug circuit and use the reverse power from there.

Center pin on your 7 pin connector.

Oops! Sorry, just reread your post. I don’t know how much current they supply but a small relay would be easy and cheap to implement. Use the cargo circuit to trigger the relay.

Get the power from the 7 pin circuit. There will be plenty of amps for lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 11:57 PM, kf9yr said:

I would tie into the trailer plug circuit and use the reverse power from there.

Center pin on your 7 pin connector.

Oops! Sorry, just reread your post. I don’t know how much current they supply but a small relay would be easy and cheap to implement. Use the cargo circuit to trigger the relay.

Get the power from the 7 pin circuit. There will be plenty of amps for lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's exactly how i did it.  I hung some Rigid LED's under the bed that are powered by a relay that is triggered by the reverse lights and also independently by a switch from my CTS2.  I tapped into the trailer wiring harness.  Attached is a schematic of how i did this.

Truck Wiring.pdf

Edited by paauto