First Truck Tire Purchase - Advice Please

papageoff

Help with tire selection  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Blue Whale's due for some new skins.  Since this is my first truck, I figured I'd probe the collective wisdom on my tire choices before I pull the trigger.  

• The truck has a 2.25" leveling kit but is otherwise stock. 
  • It sees light off-roading occasionally, but more is likely with better tires.  
  • Realistically, she spends most of the time on the highway as my DD.  
  • We're planning on a camper purchase (8900 GVWR Max) within the year.
  • Sticking with the stock z71 wheels.  New wheels are not in the budget this round.

I'm not a fan of the stock SR-A tires.   They get terrible wet traction (in FL, that's every afternoon) and honestly, Chevy is the only place I've ever seen those called "All Terrain"  ...Even Goodyear calls them All Season tires.  (Why haven't we sued?)  But, I will say I've been through some mud and stuff off-road when I was sure I'd get stuck and they got me through.  If I'm being unfair to them, let me know.  

As for on-road performance, this is my DD.  So, I can't get a mud tire or something crazy.  I get that I'll sacrifice some mileage and noise to have a tire that isn't laughably called A/T, but I'd like to minimize that.  I also don't want something that wears like a pencil eraser.  

In the poll I've put the options I'm looking at.  Feel free to make other suggestions.

Thanks

Edited by papageoff
Disappearing Question

A 275/75/18 might be a bit too big for a simple level.    That works out to a 34.2 in tire.  Shoot for something mid 32s to make sure you won't get rubbing issues.  Maybe try a 285/65/18 or a 265/70/18.  I like Michelins and that was my vote.  But you really can't go too wrong with BFG ATs either.

Edited by Mike GMC
  • Thanks 1

I am usually one for sticking with the stock tire size. These are not on your list but take a look at the Hankook Dynapro ATM. I have had several sets of them on everthing from a half done chevy to a one ton ford diesel and I have been happy with them off and on the road, wet roads, mud, towing etc. I think they are a great tire for the money. A lot of guys in my hunt club run them as well and none of us have ever had an issue. Much cheaper than BFGs and I think they perform just as well. Very quiet for the aggressive tread too. 

• Like 1

A 275/75/18 might be a bit too big for a simple level.    That works out to a 34.2 in tire.  Shoot for something mid 32s to make sure you won't get rubbing issues.  Maybe try a 285/65/18 or a 265/70/18.  I like Michelins and that was my vote.  But you really can't go too wrong with BFG ATs either.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the shop that did my leveling kit and the discount tire up the road both said the 275/70 would be good. I'll look into that more deeply because I don't want to deal with rubbing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Im in a similar debate. I have a 2" level, and stock size tires right now. Going to need new tires within the next couple of months. My truck is my DD and my tow rig for our camper. I would LOVE to jump up to a 33" or something close bc they look great. I have talked myself out of it bc it is my tow rig. The added weight of a bigger tire plus the fact that bigger tire is essentially gearing up your truck, may cause your truck to struggle a little more when towing. 

I voted for Stock sized BFG's. 

Personally I plan on going w the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have the 20" factory chevy wheels, so finding "E" rated tires in the stock size isn't as common as it may be for smaller rim diameters. Just my 2cents. Good luck to you!

9 hours ago, i82much said:

i find even the most aggressive all terrains like bfg at ko2 or duratrac to be perfectly liveable.  

Duratracs aren't all-terrains, they are hybrids which are much more aggressive than the most aggressive all-terrans, ditto with the ridge grapplers, cooper st maxx, ect.

6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Stock size KO2s, awesome in the rain.

Awesome in the rain? No hydro-planning issues that people have mentioned with those tires before?

OP, if you are mostly on road more and towing a little heavier go with a more road oriented AT tire (not hybrid) as road handling with a heavier trailer will be important... The more aggressive the AT tire like the BFG or hybrid tires like the Duratracs flex much more with the larger tread voids. The Michelin's are probably the best tire you listed on the list, also check out the Cooper AT3, very highly rated and well priced and easil hold their own off road (check out the expedition portal AT tire test). The Hankook's are another great choice and a factory AT tire for some including Ford trucks so they have been through towing tests to be sure they are up to snuff.

As far as size, you go big like the 275/75/18 and you will notice a big change in the gearing of your truck. Go up just one size like a 275/65/18.

Tyler

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Duratracs aren't all-terrains, they are hybrids which are much more aggressive than the most aggressive all-terrans, ditto with the ridge grapplers, cooper st maxx, ect.

I know.  I just didn't feel like typing out an explanation on my ipad.. Actually, I believe goodyear refers to duratrac as a "commercial traction" tire.

Truth is, from at to mt is more or less a continuum these days because you have so many options.  If you like the word "hybrid," go ahead and use it, but I think for 95% of joe shmoes out there you can call a duratrac an aggressive all terrain and their panties won't get bunched up too much.

33 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Awesome in the rain? No hydro-planning issues that people have mentioned with those tires before?

As I mentioned before to you Tyler, that's right, they are great in the rain.  I have never broken traction even while entering a torrential storm on a Florida highway.  I've less than 20k miles on them, if they start to act up as they wear down I'll let y'all know.  Thus far they've exceeded my expectations.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, e_schott said:

I am usually one for sticking with the stock tire size. These are not on your list but take a look at the Hankook Dynapro ATM. I have had several sets of them on everthing from a half done chevy to a one ton ford diesel and I have been happy with them off and on the road, wet roads, mud, towing etc. I think they are a great tire for the money. A lot of guys in my hunt club run them as well and none of us have ever had an issue. Much cheaper than BFGs and I think they perform just as well. Very quiet for the aggressive tread too. 

I can vouch for the Hankook's also one of the best tires I've ever had. May not be as sexy looking as the BFG or Goodyear, but a good tire for the money!

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

also check out the Cooper AT3, very highly rated and well priced and easil hold their own off road

+1

another vote for the Coopers

I don't know why the BFG's are the most popular tire. Is it purely name recognition? Is it solely that they have an identifiable tread shape? They are not much better performance and certainly not a better value than many other options.

• Thanks 1