First Truck Tire Purchase - Advice Please

papageoff

Help with tire selection  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have 2 inch level with billstein 5100s and Cooper AT3s in 275\60\20 (33 inch) One side rubs but it's the wheel well liner, i just need to trim it. Great tires in all conditions.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

e588da6484cfc808968b8256292e3916.jpg

I have driven the following tires both on and off road (by off road I mean rock obstacles, mud/dirt/clay hills and trails, deep mud, steep hill climbs, etc.  Not just a gravel road):

Michelin LTX A/T2

Cooper Discover A/T3

Continental TerrainContact A/T

Bridgestone Revo 2 and the new Revo 3

Firestone Destination A/T

BFG KO2

The Firestone is by far the most road friendly tire and leaves nothing on the table off road.  The KO2 and Bridgestone Revos are a little more capable off road, but are not as well street mannered.

I have 34.6"  (LT285/65R-20)  KO2 tires on my truck with no rubbing whatsoever (2" level, inner fenders pulled).   Factory 20" snowflake wheels.

I am in coastal GA so I see a shitload of rain oftentimes.  The KO2 tires are FANTASTIC in the rain. 

MPG dropped a bit though, they're heavy as hell tires. E-rated tires, which is great for towing. You'll never have to worry about tire weight capacity while towing.

• Like 1

For those of you running Load Range E tires on your 1/2 ton, what pressure do you use?  Any issues with TPMS?  E load range tires are only E load rated at 80psi.  If you're not running 80psi you're not getting the benefit over a P metric tire.

On my old 3/4 ton I ran 50psi unloaded and 80psi when loaded/trailering.

19 hours ago, Kubs said:

If you're not running 80psi you're not getting the benefit over a P metric tire.

My truck needs the tires at 42 psi to exceed the gross rear axle capacity.  This pressure is the 30 psi equivalent of the original Goodyear P-Metric tires.  They wear and ride best at 50 psi, which is what BFG recommends anyway.

3/4 ton Yukon door sticker calls for 50 psi in the front and 60 psi on the rear.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kubs said:

For those of you running Load Range E tires on your 1/2 ton, what pressure do you use?  Any issues with TPMS?  E load range tires are only E load rated at 80psi.  If you're not running 80psi you're not getting the benefit over a P metric tire.

On my old 3/4 ton I ran 50psi unloaded and 80psi when loaded/trailering.

I run them approx 50psi.

• Like 1

285/65  rim to choose  toyo tires, the all terrain. in this size you will get the xt version. good for 40k miles plus, i have 24000 on mine and they look newm half a dime deep. great in snow, decent in water, decent in mud, terric on rocks aired down, not good for soft sand

I have 2015 Chevrolet Z71 crew cab with a 1.5 inch Motofab level and 275/70 18 BFG KO2 tires.  I have no rubbing at all and 47,000 miles on the tires with little wear.  I do rotate at every oil change though. My vote goes to the BFGs.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 10:26 AM, swathdiver said:

As I mentioned before to you Tyler, that's right, they are great in the rain.  I have never broken traction even while entering a torrential storm on a Florida highway.  I've less than 20k miles on them, if they start to act up as they wear down I'll let y'all know.  Thus far they've exceeded my expectations.

I haven’t had any rain related issues either. 25k on mine running 48 psi and they are wearing like iron.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, aseibel said:

+1

another vote for the Coopers

I don't know why the BFG's are the most popular tire. Is it purely name recognition? Is it solely that they have an identifiable tread shape? They are not much better performance and certainly not a better value than many other options.

I ran a set of Cooper ATR once.  They didn’t last very long but had decent traction.  BFG are severe weather rated and seem to last a long time.  BFG are made my Michelin and I’ve had very good luck with Michelin tires.

• Like 1

I went up to a 285/65/18 tire. I went with Toyo A/T 2's. 

IMO the BFG's and the Michelin are for your Grandpa's truck. Duratracs...I have never, ever had any good Goodyear tires. Never tried the Nitto's but they look good.
image.thumb.jpeg.0269635375ad479bb4fb900833968751.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.8b01d81f6b1892a232a5b40e3662ad4a.jpeg

I would somewhat agree about the Michelins being grandpa tires...but I think the Toyos look like grandpa tires, the BFG KO2 looks far more agresaive than the Toyos. No offense, but I don't see what people like about them. I have a set of KO2s on my work truck and they have approx 55K on them and a little wear left...very little. My personal truck has Ridge Grapplers with maybe 1500 miles. Duratracs are great tires also. I have had 2 sets...the bad things about them are coat and at 30,000 miles they get loud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk