Freshly Designed Equinox and Terrain Move GM Closer to Top Of Sales Rankings In Key Segment

Gorehamj

equinox 18 side moving.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3-16-2018

Despite a production slowdown due to Canadian workers who went on strike recently, the all-new Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain have been putting up impressive sales numbers in a very important segment. The compact crossover is now the defacto family car in America and has overtaken pickups as the top-selling segment. The old Equinox and Terrain had their charms but were not really built to the same design specs that the Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV4, and Honda CR-V were. The new designs are spot-on. The changes have brought big sales to GM.

terrain rear 18.jpeg

Through the first two months of 2018, the Chevy Equinox has earned 50,458 unit sales and the Terrain has found 17,385 buyers. Compare these numbers to the Nissan Rogue's 74,303, the Toyota RAV4's 56,522, and the Honda CR-V's 50,178 and we see Chevy in the third slot overall having passed Honda. And Equinox sales are up 20% over last year at this time. Only Nissan's Rogue has that same growth rate. By comparison, the Ford Escape is down 17% this year so far and has sales of less than 40K units. Jeep's Cherokee rings in at under 30K units year to date with sales about flat.

I liked that the old Equinox's were NOT built to the same standards as others.  There were some key differences that to me made them better.  I've not tried out a new model yet though, but that statement has me worried.

I liked that the old Equinox's were NOT built to the same standards as others.  There were some key differences that to me made them better.  I've not tried out a new model yet though, but that statement has me worried.
If you read on the Equinox forums, they have had some issues with the new version...

I'm glad we got a 2017, give them time to work the bugs out...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The more Chevrolets on the road, the better IMO.  Get the brand out there and in the public eye.  It's always kinda cool to me to go to the store park with all the other bowties :)

Just at a International Auto Show last week. The North American suv's are very nice, sporty Ford Edge is very nice, but the Asia stuff is what everyone is all around.  The Equinox and Terrain have made a major jump in style and materials. It is no surprise to me that they have become so popular.  I don't spend a lot of time through the year even looking at suv's but at a car show I like to check everything out. Hoping the new Cadillac XT4 does well in this market as well. 

PS: One car that impressed the hell out of me is the new Buick Regal GS! I wish my C6 had the Recaro type seats in it this GS has. Very sporty sedan. I had to pry my wife out of the Cadillac XT5........

Ya don't like the looks of the new Equinox. I ordered a new 2010 Equinox (NEW BODY STYLE CHANGE) and it was recall after recall after recall . Of course I received no money or coupons or whatever for the gas and time wasted to run to the dealer all the time. Then I made the same mistake and traded my pickup for a new 2014 GMC Sierra (NEW BODY STYLE CHANGE) and again recall after recall.  I think it got up to 8. I'm now driving a 2017 Honda CRV and a 2017 Chevy Silverado. NO RECALLS (YET)   Guess I will be waiting a year or two to try the new body styles, just to many problems. First time I owned a non GM vehicle. They need to step up their game in my opinion.

On 3/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, sdeeter19555 said:

If you read on the Equinox forums, they have had some issues with the new version...

I'm glad we got a 2017, give them time to work the bugs out

Exactly, same here, bought a 2017 Nox LT, with the NA 2.4L engine.  Although these engines have had problems in the past, I wasn't willing to gamble on a new platform with a turbocharged smaller engine.  10,000+ miles on my wife's 2017 Nox so far, and no issues at all, not even a little nit-picking one. So hopefully with decent engine and transmission maintenance, it will give her many trouble free miles. In a few years we'll know how the 1.5 and 2.0 turbos hold up.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, Likarok said:

... I had to pry my wife out of the Cadillac XT5........

I gave up on trying to get my wife away from one and just bought one for her.  Great SUV.  Interested to see what Caddy has up it's sleeve, as I hear new SUVs are due soon. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, BLACK BOWTIE said:

Ya don't like the looks of the new Equinox. I ordered a new 2010 Equinox (NEW BODY STYLE CHANGE) and it was recall after recall after recall . Of course I received no money or coupons or whatever for the gas and time wasted to run to the dealer all the time. Then I made the same mistake and traded my pickup for a new 2014 GMC Sierra (NEW BODY STYLE CHANGE) and again recall after recall.  I think it got up to 8. I'm now driving a 2017 Honda CRV and a 2017 Chevy Silverado. NO RECALLS (YET)   Guess I will be waiting a year or two to try the new body styles, just to many problems. First time I owned a non GM vehicle. They need to step up their game in my opinion.

Hardly any auto maker doesn't have year 1 problems.  Seems S.O.P.  Your Honda CRV was very much NOT a year 1.  Honda keeps re-designing the sheet metal, but rarely changes much else.  Though they market it like they did.  Honda's about the only Asian brand I'd ever drive due to their methods.  Toyota redesigned a LOT this year, that's why they are on the top of the recall count this year.

I owned a 2010 Equ.  Yeah, that was a bad year.  2011's were rock solid though.  Oh well.

Archived