Torque converter shudder after maintenance and fix

Just wanted to relay a story in case anyone runs into this issue.  Well, a couple weeks ago I did a simple pan drop, filter change, and added 6 quarts of Amsoil Signature series fluid.  The truck was shifting really smooth and running great for about 3-4 days.  After that I noticed a shudder at 20-30 mphs.  Nothing major and it felt like it was coming from the back of the truck, so I assumed it was the rear wheels needing balancing.  After more driving of the truck I slowly realized the shudder was likely due to the torque converter. 

I had bought 3.5 gallons of amsoil fluid and had planned to disconnect the trans line and pump out old fluid and add new.  I finally got around to doing that yesterday and drove the truck about 10 miles or so and have now noticed the shudder is pretty much gone.  The fluid was extremely dirty but didn't smell burned and my truck is a 2014 with only 46k.  For only 46k I felt like the fluid was way too dirty but I didn't feel the pan had an excess amount of metal shavings in it.  I have never had a shudder develop after a simple fluid change but wanted to share this with anyone in case it happens.  If the shudder doesn't completely go away I may end up (unfortunately) buy another gallon of fluid and exchange it out.  However so far it seems like the shudder is gone or very minimal.

The GM bulletin procedure is essentially the same thing. Flushing the fluid fixes a lot of shudder concerns. If it doesn’t, the converter has accrued too much clutch debris and will have to be replaced. But I’m glad you got it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I read that after the fact but it looked like the tsb was for the 8 speed trans only.  Mine is the 6 speed.  Either way like you said it's the same thing but I hadn't heard of any other 6 speeds having this issue.  

Archived