GM-forums, I dare say I'm back for a moment or so my darlings. I need help from you folks for a most troublesome squeal that's driven me nuts for quite some time. 'A squeal? Prolly you belt,' you might say. To that I'd answer with a swift and affirmative 'No! This is unlike any squeal I've heard before, and I can't seem to find any videos with a squeal like it. Both belts are quite young, and we've replaced a few pulleys. We didn't replace the A/C tensioner pullies however. Alternator and Idler have been replaced. This squeal is loud. VERY loud. It will pretty much drown out anything within its vicinity sort of loud. I'll try to get a video up if need be. You folks are my only hope.  

Most often, a squeal like that is caused by a failed idler bearing. It's a pain, but take the belts off and turn the idlers, water pump, and any other pulleys that you can by hand to feel for bearing roughness or a seized idler, etc.

If you've recently replaced the belts as you indicated, then it's not a seized bearing, but one that will seize soon, if it's making that much noise.

It only takes a couple of minutes to pull both belts off and then start the truck to see if the squeal is still there. That would eliminate all the idler and tensioner pulleys along with the water pump, alternator , AC compressor and power steering pump.

Archived