New Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3 tires

MaverickZ71

These are just coming out.  Looking for any feedback whatsoever (good/bad/ugly) from any early adopters on these new tires.  

They aren't even listed on Bridgestone's website yet, but they are listed in a few sizes on the Tire Rack website.  They have some of the funkiest-looking tread blocks that I have ever seen.  Internet rumors say they supposedly meet the snowflake-symbol (severe snow and ice usage) rating, but not marked as such, because Bridgestone doesn't want to take any sales away from their Blizzak line of tires.   

These are just coming out.  Looking for any feedback whatsoever (good/bad/ugly) from any early adopters on these new tires.  

They aren't even listed on Bridgestone's website yet, but they are listed in a few sizes on the Tire Rack website.  They have some of the funkiest-looking tread blocks that I have ever seen.  Internet rumors say they supposedly meet the snowflake-symbol (severe snow and ice usage) rating, but not marked as such, because Bridgestone doesn't want to take any sales away from their Blizzak line of tires.   
Looks like an all season...the Revo 2 is a hard roller and sucks gas mileage down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Ive had the Revo (1set) and the Revo2 (2sets).  While I am hugely loyal to the Bridgestone Alenza Plus (running on wife and both daughters’ 4Runners, which says everything), I’ve concluded the Revo line is sub par quality at super par cost.   They cup, get noisy and tread wear is awful.   I can’t imagine I’d consider a 3rd generation.   And I’m about ready for tires too....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 11:34 AM, Kubs said:

The Revo 3 is much much better than the previous versions.  I think you would be happy with another set if you give them a try.

I’d like to believe you.   Assuming I can get past the appearance, and after “trying”three sets, what causes you to say this?    The $ are too premium to waste on another experiment.    That I won’t know the results from until about a year...(except possibly the MPG impact).   I’d be ok if you were right and I am wrong...

I have tested both side by side on the same vehicle in several performance areas.  The Revo is quieter, better wet traction, and better snow than the previous.  I was not on either long enough to confirm wear, but the new one has a higher mileage warranty so that should indicate in an improvement was made there as well. 

I know they have their 30 day trial, but that’s a huge hassle and cost to my local Firestone shop.   I’ll need a meaningful discount coupon to consider I think...

• 3 weeks later...

If the Revo 3 is anything like the Dueler AT RH-S - I would run.  Worst tires on the planet.

My truck has 32K miles on it and GM has replaced 3 already under warranty because they can't be road force balanced.

My dealer is working with me to put Michelins on....at this point I'll give up the on-off-road tread for a smooth ride.

The RH-S is poorly rated on TireRack and I have the Alenza Plus on my three other vehicles.   That Bridgestone has a poor performer doesn’t mean they don’t have any quality offerings.

i confirmed my local B-FS dealer can’t confirm when he can get a set for me.  Nor does he have the specs available to tell me the weight of the 275/55r20...

• 3 weeks later...

I saw my first set of these this morning on a Ram 2500.  They appeared to be stock sized.  For an all terrain, I was disappointed by the tight tread pattern and lack of void. I doubt it had much more void than a Michelin MS2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

UPDATE:  I pulled the trigger and bought a set of these Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 3's in the stock P265/65R18 size the first week in January, to replace my old factory original Dueler A/T RH-S's, which were worn down to 2/32" at 76K miles.  

First impressions after 5 weeks with the new Revo 3's, including city/highway/55 degrees F down to negative temps, and some snow and ice:  Even though I asked for them to be road-forced balanced (dunno if they did that or not, as they don't let you back into the service bay to watch), the Revo 3's had a significant rumbling vibration when first installed, to the point where that if I didn't have to immediately go back to work, I'd have driven right back to the Firestone store and told them to start over.  Now, after a month, the vibration has gone down to the point where you can feel it just a little bit on new, smooth asphalt, but everywhere else it has disappeared.  I don't understand that, and have never had anything like it happen before.  On the outside of the wheels, the Revo 3's have just a little more balancing weights than the RH-S's had.  I haven't had any clean pavement (due to the weather) to crawl underneath to see if there are 5 pounds of weight hanging on the inside.  Hopefully not!  My Revo 3's were made in Juliet, Canada the week after Thanksgiving, so they were definitely fresh rubber.  

Background info:  The original RH-S's were the best all-around tires that we've ever had.  Killer traction in snow and ice, and we've never ever had a set of tires last 76K miles on a 4WD vehicle before.  But they were no longer available with the outlined white letters.  At the end of their life, the RH-S's made a whomp-whomp-whomp sound on smooth pavement, due to the alignment being a little off (toed out a little too much from the factory), but did not vibrate much if at all.  I never had to have them rebalanced.  Since I drive a lot of highway miles and not so much on mud or gravel anymore, I wanted a set of Dueler H/L Alenza Plus's for replacements, but they have been on backorder from Bridgestone since last September.  So I went with the Revo 3's.  

The Revo 3's look good on a Z71.  Their white letters are about 1/2 the size of the RH-S and Alenzas.  And the white letters are on the 1/2 of the sidewall that curves back in towards the wheel.  At certain angles, it looks like blackwalls until you get closer.  

Even though Bridgestone's self-described rating system says the RH-S's and Revo 3's are identical on all factors besides noise (with the Revo 3 being 1 factor quieter), my real-world experience has not indicated that.  I think Bridgestone fudges their rating system to get more sales.  The Tire Rack website says the Alenza Plus, RH-S, and Revo 3 in this stock size all weigh in at 41 pounds.  I'm calling BS on that.  If the RH-S's were indeed 41 pounds, the Revo 3's feel like they weigh 50 pounds or more.  The Bridgestone website does not list weights for the Revo 3's like they do for their other tires.  Now I think I know why.  The rolling resistance is much greater at the same inflation pressures.  Where I work, we drive down a hill when leaving.  I had to always hit the brakes on the RH-S to keep from blasting through the gate.  On the Revo 3's, I actually lose speed when coasting down the same hill.  And the transmission kicks down another gear going up some hills, where it never did that on the RH-S's.  Also, the Revo 3's feel like they are softer rubber but the steel belts inside are thicker/tougher.  It feels like their weight pulls them down and they whack down into cracks and potholes more than the RH-S's did.  They seem stiffer on compression, softer on rebound, which also doesn't make much sense to me.  So far, the main problem is my fuel mileage is down at least 20% with the Revo 3's.  And they have a noticable white-noise-like soft hum at all speeds, almost sounds like wind noise, but that is not aggravating like the whomp-whomp-whomp sound the old RH-S's made.  Wet/snow/ice performance is good, but surprisingly, I would rate it a notch below the RH-S on each.  I haven't had them in any significant mud yet--everything is frozen here now.   

So far, these Revo 3's are not bad tires, but not as great as I was hoping.  For an oilfield or farm truck or more offroad use, they would be good.  Someone who regularly drives BFGoodrich A/T KO2's or Goodyear Duratracs or Toyo A/T's would maybe think these Revo 3's are smooth and quiet with good gas mileage.  But as it stands now, I'll probably use the 90-day trial period to change back to some Alenza Plus's or another set of RH-S's.

What I really want is the all-terrain traction of a Duratrac or KO2 with the road manners and fuel mileage of a Michelin highway tire--don't we all!

Edited by MaverickZ71

6 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

UPDATE:  I pulled the trigger and bought a set of these Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 3's in the stock P265/65R18 size the first week in January, to replace my old factory original Dueler A/T RH-S's, which were worn down to 2/32" at 76K miles.  

First impressions after 5 weeks with the new Revo 3's, including city/highway/55 degrees F down to negative temps, and some snow and ice:  Even though I asked for them to be road-forced balanced (dunno if they did that or not, as they don't let you back into the service bay to watch), the Revo 3's had a significant rumbling vibration when first installed, to the point where that if I didn't have to immediately go back to work, I'd have driven right back to the Firestone store and told them to start over.  Now, after a month, the vibration has gone down to the point where you can feel it just a little bit on new, smooth asphalt, but everywhere else it has disappeared.  I don't understand that, and have never had anything like it happen before.  On the outside of the wheels, the Revo 3's have just a little more balancing weights than the RH-S's had.  I haven't had any clean pavement (due to the weather) to crawl underneath to see if there are 5 pounds of weight hanging on the inside.  Hopefully not!  My Revo 3's were made in Juliet, Canada the week after Thanksgiving, so they were definitely fresh rubber.  

Background info:  The original RH-S's were the best all-around tires that we've ever had.  Killer traction in snow and ice, and we've never ever had a set of tires last 76K miles on a 4WD vehicle before.  But they were no longer available with the outlined white letters.  At the end of their life, the RH-S's made a whomp-whomp-whomp sound on smooth pavement, due to the alignment being a little off (toed out a little too much from the factory), but did not vibrate much if at all.  I never had to have them rebalanced.  Since I drive a lot of highway miles and not so much on mud or gravel anymore, I wanted a set of Dueler H/L Alenza Plus's for replacements, but they have been on backorder from Bridgestone since last September.  So I went with the Revo 3's.  

The Revo 3's look good on a Z71.  Their white letters are about 1/2 the size of the RH-S and Alenzas.  And the white letters are on the 1/2 of the sidewall that curves back in towards the wheel.  At certain angles, it looks like blackwalls until you get closer.  

Even though Bridgestone's self-described rating system says the RH-S's and Revo 3's are identical on all factors besides noise (with the Revo 3 being 1 factor quieter), my real-world experience has not indicated that.  I think Bridgestone fudges their rating system to get more sales.  The Tire Rack website says the Alenza Plus, RH-S, and Revo 3 in this stock size all weigh in at 41 pounds.  I'm calling BS on that.  If the RH-S's were indeed 41 pounds, the Revo 3's feel like they weigh 50 pounds or more.  The Bridgestone website does not list weights for the Revo 3's like they do for their other tires.  Now I think I know why.  The rolling resistance is much greater at the same inflation pressures.  Where I work, we drive down a hill when leaving.  I had to always hit the brakes on the RH-S to keep from blasting through the gate.  On the Revo 3's, I actually lose speed when coasting down the same hill.  And the transmission kicks down another gear going up some hills, where it never did that on the RH-S's.  Also, the Revo 3's feel like they are softer rubber but the steel belts inside are thicker/tougher.  It feels like their weight pulls them down and they whack down into cracks and potholes more than the RH-S's did.  They seem stiffer on compression, softer on rebound, which also doesn't make much sense to me.  So far, the main problem is my fuel mileage is down at least 20% with the Revo 3's.  And they have a noticable white-noise-like soft hum at all speeds, almost sounds like wind noise, but that is not aggravating like the whomp-whomp-whomp sound the old RH-S's made.  Wet/snow/ice performance is good, but surprisingly, I would rate it a notch below the RH-S on each.  I haven't had them in any significant mud yet--everything is frozen here now.   

So far, these Revo 3's are not bad tires, but not as great as I was hoping.  For an oilfield or farm truck or more offroad use, they would be good.  Someone who regularly drives BFGoodrich A/T KO2's or Goodyear Duratracs or Toyo A/T's would maybe think these Revo 3's are smooth and quiet with good gas mileage.  But as it stands now, I'll probably use the 90-day trial period to change back to some Alenza Plus's or another set of RH-S's.

What I really want is the all-terrain traction of a Duratrac or KO2 with the road manners and fuel mileage of a Michelin highway tire--don't we all!

I run Michelin LTX A/T2.  They are quiet, handle well in the snow, and mileage doesn’t suffer compared to other all terrain tires.  Have no issue getting 50-60k miles out of them before they hit the wear bars.  Worth the extra money.