GMC Yukon XL 22’ wheels now it rides rougher

Just put 22’ wheels and Nitto TG G2’s on my wife’s Yukon XL, it looks Bad A@@ but she thinks it rides worse than before. Should I switch out the tires, lower tire pressure? Do you think it’s the 22’ wheels, regardless of the tire? How can I improve the ride and keep the BadA@@ness?

Help...

22's ride rougher than 20's. The smaller the rim, the more side wall on the tire, the better the ride if smooth is what you are after.

What pressures are you running now?

• Like 1

Honestly, if you got a bigger rim than stock and kept the same tire size the sidewall shronk... Which will make the ride a bit more rough/tight. Only way to make it the same ride is to keep the sidewall relatively the same. Otherwise, there may be some change

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So, switching the tire to something less aggressive in the exact, 285/45t22, same size would ride about the same as it does with the Nitto TG G2?

In my opinion yes. There may be some small difference between materials in the side wall which effect the stiffness... But when you lose sidewall overall you gain a more rough ride. Balance between comfort and style. I went with 20s on my suburban. Was able to keep roughly the same sidewall

So, switching the tire to something less aggressive in the exact, 285/45t22, same size would ride about the same as it does with the Nitto TG G2?

An LT rated tire will be stiffer than a P rated tire. Combine that with a smaller sidewall and you have your rougher ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

In my opinion yes. There may be some small difference between materials in the side wall which effect the stiffness... But when you lose sidewall overall you gain a more rough ride. Balance between comfort and style. I went with 20s on my suburban. Was able to keep roughly the same sidewall

Got a pic of the 22s?

Im sure they are balanced, the issue is the 45 sidewall. You went from 60s to 45, meaning from a tall, bump absorbing, softer feeling side wall to a smaller, harder sidewall.

Its Physics, you will never get the stock ride back with those tires. Putting bigger tires could mess with the drivetrain since you'll be increasing the rotational distance of the tire..

If she likes the looks, she just has to get used to the ride and avoid bumps/potholes. 

I used to have 315/30/20 rear tires on my BMW x5, def rode more harsh but the looks were great :) 

• Like 1