Stock Wheel height but wider tires?

tlowery33

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. I am looking at adding a 2" leveling kit and i was also looking to get new tires to make it look a little more aggressive. I want to keep the tire height stock (since i want to be able to use my spare under the truck and not take up valuable bed space lugging around a larger spare). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this and maybe having the same height tire, but with a wider tire than the stock (if that makes sense). Obviously I am not too knowledgeable and I want to make sure i know the cons before making a purchase. Ultimately i would like to go with a larger tire but like i said I dont want to lug around a bigger spare that cant fit underneath. But i like the look of trucks with the all terrain tires that are wider. Also a question when it comes to wider tires, do i need wider rims? How does that work? Also, If i do find a wider tire that is the same height as the stock tire, is there any harm if i were to get a flat and had to use the skinnier, stock spare? I would get larger tires but i was told that i would need a larger spare otherwise i could damage other components. 

I am all over the place, hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance. 

Ted  

I have 35s and my spare tire is still factory. If I ever get a flat, the spare tire will go up front in a pinch (if rear tire got flat,I'd move front tire to the rear, and put spare tire up front).  It'll work to a tire shop for repair.

51 minutes ago, tlowery33 said:

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. I am looking at adding a 2" leveling kit and i was also looking to get new tires to make it look a little more aggressive. I want to keep the tire height stock (since i want to be able to use my spare under the truck and not take up valuable bed space lugging around a larger spare). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this and maybe having the same height tire, but with a wider tire than the stock (if that makes sense). Obviously I am not too knowledgeable and I want to make sure i know the cons before making a purchase. Ultimately i would like to go with a larger tire but like i said I dont want to lug around a bigger spare that cant fit underneath. But i like the look of trucks with the all terrain tires that are wider. Also a question when it comes to wider tires, do i need wider rims? How does that work? Also, If i do find a wider tire that is the same height as the stock tire, is there any harm if i were to get a flat and had to use the skinnier, stock spare? I would get larger tires but i was told that i would need a larger spare otherwise i could damage other components. 

I am all over the place, hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance. 

Ted  

That's allot of questions. Let's start with...what size is on it now? Which wheels are fitted.  And yes there is a plus size system.

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

That's allot of questions. Let's start with...what size is on it now? Which wheels are fitted.  And yes there is a plus size system.

Yea I know lol, sorry. Right now I still have the stock 265/65R18 tires on there. 

the size of your spare should not restrict your desired tires.

Like Robopie said, if you get a flat, just put the spare on the front. Switch a front tire to the rear if need be. You want the two tires on the drive axle the same size, but as long as you are in 2HI the front can be different and won't hurt anything. don't drive in 4WD Until you have all 4 tires matching.

Ever see somebody driving a FWD car with a donut on the front? It can be done for a short while if you are just limping to a tire shop. Don't do it any farther than you have to.

You should probably just go visit a local Discount Tire as you can get your questions answered a lot faster than typing back and forth on a forum. But your new tire options are nearly endless, you can get several different larger/wider tires that will fit on your OEM wheels. If you only go a little bigger, it won't hurt anything or rub.

3 hours ago, tlowery33 said:

Yea I know lol, sorry. Right now I still have the stock 265/65R18 tires on there. 

285/60R18 will fit your 8" wide rim. Is very close to the same diameter. 0.1" difference in height.

Try this link:  https://tiresize.com/tires/BFGoodrich/All-Terrain-TA-KO2-265-65R18.htm

Teach a man to fish.....

Thanks everyone for the help. I wasn't sure since I heard in the past how you needed a spare to match, what you say about just making sure to have matching tires in the rear makes sense. I am thinking about putting a 2" leveling kit so maybe I will go with something closer to 33" tires then. 

Yeah, I wouldn't let your spare tire effect the size of tires you choose for your rig. You'll really like the looks of a 2" lift and 33's. If you're keeping your stock rims, 275/70/18, 285/65/18, and 305/60/18 are very common sizes with a level on a 1500.

Archived