Chrome bubble (when bumper to bumper doesn't include the bumper)

So I was looking at smudge on my front valance and trying to figure out the most gentle way to get that off, when I notice a bubble on the chrome bumper where it meets the valence on the passenger side near the grille. We all know what that means. Argh!

Edited by Rob Okray

Sucks for sure...luckily my 18 is a little to new to be having any rust issues yet lol but I have noticed in the plastic parts that are chrome like the grill and trim around the headlights, I have like "smudges" and marks that wont come off. I have no idea what it is or what caused it and its kinda upsetting considering the truck isnt even 2 months old. You noticed anything like that on your plastic pieces? Thinking maybe the salt did it? Idk, maybe i need to try a polish or something on it. 

Try chrome polish, but paint polish may work as well.  I actually wax the chrome parts as well as the paint.  Seems to cut down the spots from bug guys etc.

Edited by Mike GMC

4 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

Try chrome polish, but paint polish may work as well.  I actually wax the chrome parts as well as the paint.  Seems to cut down the spots from bug guys etc.

I waxed it the first time I waxed the truck but some of the spots were already there. Are there any spots in your chrome that you can't seem to get out or is it just me? Your truck in the salt at all? 

No salt in Denver, they use sand and Mag-Chloride.  It sucks too, but in a different way than salt.  It eats rubber parts.  The hardest stuff for me to get out are the little pits from the sand and gravel impacts.  Add bug guts to the pits, and you get to do a lot of polishing.

Chrome just isn't what it used to be.  Still looks great when new, but seems to very soft and thin.  Particularly on plastic parts

Edited by Mike GMC
Fat fingers, little keyboard

1 minute ago, Mike GMC said:

No salt in Denver, they use sand and Mag-Chloride.  It sucks too, but in a different way than salt.  It eats rubber parts.  The hardest stuff for me to get out are the little pits from the sand and gravel impacts.  Add bug guys to the pits, and you get to do a lot of polishing.

Ill have to try the chrome polish and see if it makes any difference. I didnt know how crazy I could go with it just being plated plastic but I will give it a try. The spots look wierd I really thought they were all bug splatter thats like how they look, like smears or smudges but the damn stuff wont come off with a regular wash or quick detailer 

1 minute ago, Mike GMC said:

You might try bug and tar remover as well.  Be careful to keep it off the paint though.  It also removes all wax or other protectants.

I haven't tried that but I don't think its actually bug splatter that is just what it looks like, but if you feel the spots they are totally smooth, couldnt find them with your eyes closed. Like I said its wierd not sure what the hell it is 

14 hours ago, Rob Okray said:

So I was looking at smudge on my front valance and trying to figure out the most gentle way to get that off, when I notice a bubble on the chrome bumper where it meets the valence on the passenger side near the grille. We all know what that means. Argh!

If you still have the original front bumper on your truck, I'd take it to the dealer and see about a warranty replacement.  No harm in trying.  I also have a '15 and I would fully expect my dealer to mitigate any such premature rust issues and  I'd be very surprised if they didn't help me out!

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

If you still have the original front bumper on your truck, I'd take it to the dealer and see about a warranty replacement.  No harm in trying.  I also have a '15 and I would fully expect my dealer to mitigate any such premature rust issues and  I'd be very surprised if they didn't help me out!

Thanks, I suppose it's worth a try. Kind of a shocker that they would let things slide that far. But maybe it shouldn't be.

19 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

Probably stains then.  Bugs, oil, tar can all stain.  Chrome polish may be best.

I think he's seeing stains on his chrome PAINT, that's on the plastic parts, correct?  I'm not sure using a chrome polish on that chrome-looking paint would do what he wants.....although I'm not sure what will get those "stains" out, really.  I'm interested to see if anything works!  ;)

6 hours ago, Donstar said:

To quote Gomer Pyle, "SUPRISE! SUPRISRE! SUPRISE!" 3 Warrantees and none of them cover the bumper. 52k and a 2015, so still under original factory warranty. Not covered. Certified Pre Owned. Not Covered. Bought a GM (ok now pay attention), "bumper to bumper warranty". Not covered.