Passlock malfunction

I have a 2000 silverado i just purchased. It has been having issues with the passlock system. At times it doesnt start.  Just get a dull click. Wait 10 min or so and it will let you start.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this. 

Ive been told 3 things to fix this. Check connector for tightness on top of lock cylinder housing....Check.    good

Replace ignition cylinder.  

Replace ignition cylinder housing

Which do i nees to do?  Having a hard time getting a straight answer and consensus on this. Thx in advance. 

Keith

Dull click most likely means starter. By the way, you will not likely ever get a consensus or straight answer by just asking which part may be bad on a forum. Have it diagnosed or throw parts.

15 hours ago, Keith Gonyea said:

I have a 2000 silverado i just purchased. It has been having issues with the passlock system. At times it doesnt start.  Just get a dull click. Wait 10 min or so and it will let you start.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this. 

Ive been told 3 things to fix this. Check connector for tightness on top of lock cylinder housing....Check.    good

Replace ignition cylinder.  

Replace ignition cylinder housing

Which do i nees to do?  Having a hard time getting a straight answer and consensus on this. Thx in advance. 

Keith

Next time it doesn't start, go out to the negative battery cable and shake it. Then try the positive. I have run into so many negative cables causing this. I have a stack of them in the corner. You can to a voltage drop test on the cables if you want to diag it before it leaves you.

31 minutes ago, 19Sil said:

its the ignition cylinder with key.  had same prob

So you purchased new cylinder and are good to go?   Def not starter. Something with the ignition. Either housing or cylinder.

I guess the question should have been where is the security antenna or sensor or whatever for the passlock

Archived