Sound off! Gas Cap!

Boardmember

I deserve a vent.  Or, I think I do and that’s all that matters at the moment.

IF GM IS GOING TO COPY FORD, DONT COPY THEIR STUPID STUFF...!

My local Chevron station - and a high % locally - have removed the ratchet on the pump handle.  At $2.30/gal, the pump rate is relatively slow.  I used to use my tethered gas cap as a wedge inside the handle so I don’t have to stand there for ten damn minutes filling up.  The cap was loose enough to easily pop out (EVERY TIME!) when the back pressure caused the mechanism to stop pumping.  

Did this just just save a net $.78?   If so, make it an option.  Throw a cap in with some stupid package.  “The Texas Gas Cap Edition.”  I’ll pay $3 for your $.78 cost and GM nets $2.22!

There’s nothing I can use that’s convenient to serve the purpose.   I used my pocket knife once and when the handle popped the damn knife ejected itself and landed under the truck.   

Someone please tell me how wrong I am and how skipping out on having a gas cap is saving the world.  I need to know.

I hope no one actually reads to the bottom of this.  If so, I’m sorry.  Therapy.   Damn.  

8 minutes ago, Boardmember said:

I deserve a vent.  Or, I think I do and that’s all that matters at the moment.

IF GM IS GOING TO COPY FORD, DONT COPY THEIR STUPID STUFF...!

I hope no one actually reads to the bottom of this.  If so, I’m sorry.  Therapy.   Damn.  

You make me laugh. Your starting to sound just like me. :rolleyes:

LMAO...use your cell phone to hold the trigger open. Maybe you will get a phone call or text while pumping gas that will cause that dreaded static spark they warn you about on the gas pumps. Then hire the law firm of Wei, Suem & Tou with the complaint of no gas cap caused the  explosion and fire.

Or you could get a small piece of wood and leave it in the bed of the truck to use.

At the end of the day I don't think the system is to save $0.78 on a gas cap, It's purpose is to positively seal the tank. There are two flappers that press inward on the filler which means pressure inside the tank will seat/seal them after fill-up to block fumes from escaping. If you want to blame someone blame the soccer mom that doesn't tighten the cap till it clicks, and then gets the dreaded CEL that then gets scanned at the emissions test as polluting the environment and killing sea turtles. GM is only reacting to stupid or lazy humans and creating a device to do for them what they are not doing themselves.

As far as law firms i am partial to Dewey, Cheatum and Howe. :-)

Well who gives stupid people licenses to drive!?!?

i assume removing the ratchet from the pump handle is to keep those EXACT SAME STUPID PEOPLE from not paying attention while fueling - and spilling gasoline all over the property.  

Come on fellow GM-TRUCKS posters....there’s a pattern here.   What do we do about it?   Copy Ford?

It's because they keep trying to make things fool proof. What they don't understand is that someone always comes up with a bigger fool.:smash:

I appreciate that this was started as a vent.  I prefer not having to hold the nozzle during the entire fill up but it is no mystery why this convenience is disappearing.  It is a case where a few careless or inconsiderate individuals spoil it for the rest.  I've been waiting in line at a pump and watch a person at the pump go into the convenience store.  I usually hold the nozzle anyway as I usually don't have many other things to do while filling up.  I check my under the hood fluid levels at home where I have a step-stool. ;-)

Capless is B S, who,when where is this needed. Why should I have this idiot system on my truck, oh that's right, most people nowadays are idiots and can't drive or pay attention to anything but their  phone.

The fuel nozzle has an internal safety shutoff built in and the ratchet has absolutely no bearing on it's function. So it isn't the pump user that is being solely held accountable. It's the station owner as well. When these nozzles fail, and all mechanical parts do from time to time, he suppose to take it out of service. Busy stations hate doing that as it cost them sales. That means the idiot that unlawfully leaves the car for a coffee while it fills wont be there to manually shut it down. Both are at fault and the rest get to pay. I hate the loss of this feature. I like to sit in the warm for a few minutes on large fills in cold weather. 

Being there won't keep the tank from running over either when the auto system fails. You're not that quick. Well...I'm not. :lol:

Dewey, Cheatum and Howe. Somebody is a Stooges fan. 

Archived