Wheels and sensors....

Well, in lieu of buying another beater car, I'm going to just drive this one into the ground. I need another two years out of this one, that should be about 50k or so, so I would still be under 200k.

So I'm buying a set of steel wheels without TPMS, factory 2012 18-inch for $100 to run summer tire on...are the brand of TPMS critcal? I'm thinking I will just have the local tire shop use what they have unless someone says otherwise?

Steve

2012 2500hd

The sensors usually use one of two frequencies, 315 MHz or 433 MHz, past that it gets (very, very) confusing. This link will give you an idea. https://www.thoughtco.com/aftermarket-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems-3234363

The problem was big brother and the TREAD Act.. Just think if Mr. and Mrs. Appliance Operator would have purchased an air pressure gauge and used it ; we would NOT be tolerating replacing sensors every 6 to 8 years. 

Well, bought the rims.

Story is what I expected, guy owns a tire shop, truck buyer purchases new truck at dealer down the block and drives down for new wheels and tires. He sold the tires and centers, but wheels are like new other than for dust and handling marks. He said it was likely the wheels don't have 25 miles on them...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

sdeeter195555: Back in the day, cast offs were the best deal on tires ever.. Someone bought a new car/truck and didn't "like" the tires. So, the dealer put what they wanted on. Which made a great deal on "used" tires with less than 25 or less miles on them.. A used tire is just what it says, a used tire.. :D

Enjoy as you got a steal!!!

I did determine these are from a 3500 SRW...they never had sensors to begin with. Not a big deal.

My plan is to run these to my local shop and have them checked for straightness. If that checks out, order a set of TPMS and a set of highway tires for installation by mid-April. Probably go back to a Cooper HT3 on these...seems the options are pretty limited for the 18s.

Well, priced out the potential setup...

Local shop is at $55/sensor installed and learned to the truck. It might be higher, but if I have any problems, they will handle it no questions asked. They have treated me well for over ten years...

They quoted me the Cooper HT3 (which I had before and could have put 65k miles on easily) in a 275x70r18 for $205/tire installed (includes mounting, balance, and tax). I need to see how a 275x70r18 compares to a 265x70r17...

13598771 is the OE number.  Replaced 13586335.

I poked that number into GMPartsDirect and it came back "does not fit your 2012 2500hd"...maybe new number isn't recognized.

39 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

I poked that number into GMPartsDirect and it came back "does not fit your 2012 2500hd"...maybe new number isn't recognized.

Its possible.  They do fit however, the old number supersedes in GM's system to that new number and the old number has zero inventory.  If you ordered from there with the old number, you'd get a box of the new ones lol.   

Well, just so I had an idea of what I bought, I pulled a wheel and mounted each of these.

I had a magnetic dial indicator that I mounted up, and spun each one...they are all within 0.010" in lateral and roundness. Better than my 17s, which are probably 0.1" out of round.

So these are good and straight, I'll take them to the shop next week and have tires mounted...get off of these snow tires.

Well, plans changed...slightly.

I just got back from my local shop...wheels are straight. LT265x70r18 Michelin LTX M/S are ordered, will have new TPMS installed and programmed, and balanced with Counteract.

As long as the powder works, this will be a cost savings overall as I typically need to balance tires every few months (I swear the wheel weights move around).

Well, plans changed...slightly.

I just got back from my local shop...wheels are straight. LT265x70r18 Michelin LTX M/S are ordered, will have new TPMS installed and programmed, and balanced with Counteract.

As long as the powder works, this will be a cost savings overall as I typically need to balance tires every few months (I swear the wheel weights move around).

Why wouldn’t you want stick on weights and a road force? Curiously asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived